News   May 13, 2024
 665     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 734     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Steve Munroe, in his usual good in-depth review, has a good post about the SRT derailment and possible issues uncovered. He obtained a copy of the database listing the track inspection reports, but only work orders that initiated the inspections, not any separate WO’s for repairs.

Here are some interesting quotes from his post:

• With relation to a defect logged within about 2 meters of the location of the caused derailment:
    1708611191103.png
  • With regards to post-derailment inspection (i.e. items that showed up after the inspection that followed derailment):
    1708611334114.png
  • As for the speed restrictions being found as part of regular annual review:
    1708612597562.png
...All leaving me a bit uneasy riding the TTC. As Steve mentions, there are many questions as to the record keeping, inspection, and correction of defects found.

Steve Munroe, in his usual good in-depth review, has a good post about the SRT derailment and possible issues uncovered. He obtained a copy of the database listing the track inspection reports, but only work orders that initiated the inspections, not any separate WO’s for repairs.

Here are some interesting quotes from his post:

• With relation to a defect logged within about 2 meters of the location of the caused derailment:
    View attachment 542454
  • With regards to post-derailment inspection (i.e. items that showed up after the inspection that followed derailment):
    View attachment 542457
  • As for the speed restrictions being found as part of regular annual review:
    View attachment 542460
...All leaving me a bit uneasy riding the TTC. As Steve mentions, there are many questions as to the record keeping, inspection, and correction of defects found.
Yes, as usual Steve gives a very clear (and, in this case, quite alarming) report on TTC maintenance practices. Following the scathing report from the City's Auditor General on the problems with the TTC streetcar overhead section, this comment by one of Steve's correspondents is worth reading! There is clearly more that TTC appears to either be hiding or is not aware of.

"I have not worked in MAXIMO (but I might someday, it’s being rolled out where I work), however every problem tracking system I have worked with requires a note of some kind before it can be closed as resolved. I am skeptical that the TTC would so mis-implement a tracking system that did not require notes. Often, these notes are the key to understanding what was done, sometimes invaluable for follow-up or if a similar problem recurs."

Steve: I concur. I am taking what the TTC Legal Department tells me at face value as they’re just passing on what they have been told. Either TTC is not tracking problem resolutions, or staff are telling porkies to Legal as part of the FOI response. I am not sure which is worse.

Yes, as usual Steve gives a very clear (and, in this case, quite alarming) report on TTC maintenance practices. Following the scathing report from the City's Auditor General on the problems with the TTC streetcar overhead section, this comment by one of Steve's correspondents is worth reading! There is clearly more that TTC appears to either be hiding or is not aware of.

"I have not worked in MAXIMO (but I might someday, it’s being rolled out where I work), however every problem tracking system I have worked with requires a note of some kind before it can be closed as resolved. I am skeptical that the TTC would so mis-implement a tracking system that did not require notes. Often, these notes are the key to understanding what was done, sometimes invaluable for follow-up or if a similar problem recurs."

Steve: I concur. I am taking what the TTC Legal Department tells me at face value as they’re just passing on what they have been told. Either TTC is not tracking problem resolutions, or staff are telling porkies to Legal as part of the FOI response. I am not sure which is worse.

Sadly, until we have another Russell Hill nothing will be done.

Unless a train derails at Bloor Station in the middle of Rush Hour killing someone or severely injuring them not much will be done.

Back in the summer, people were arguing on here that the investigation was a waste of time and money because no other lines use ICTS tech. 🤔

Sadly, until we have another Russell Hill nothing will be done.

Unless a train derails at Bloor Station in the middle of Rush Hour killing someone or severely injuring them not much will be done.

Uhh.....something IS being done, right now.

That's what the slow orders are about; repairs ARE being made.

That doesn't change the TTC's general culture, which is a larger problem, that begins with the need to change the CEO..........

But I digress.

This particular issue will be comprehensively addressed in the next few weeks.

That doesn't change the TTC's general culture, which is a larger problem, that begins with the need to change the CEO..........

That is sort of what I was getting at.

Yes they are fixing everything however that is only being done because of the attention surrounding the RT Derailment. If this was any other day, it would not have been fixed.

It is not just a CEO issue but a funding one too I suspect. The TTC is chronically underfunded and likely does not have money to fix everything it wants to.

That is sort of what I was getting at.

Yes they are fixing everything however that is only being done because of the attention surrounding the RT Derailment. If this was any other day, it would not have been fixed.

It is not just a CEO issue but a funding one too I suspect. The TTC is chronically underfunded and likely does not have money to fix everything it wants to.
Though money is clearly a factor, the problems at TTC are primarily poor management. Read the City Auditor General's report on the streetcar overhead of a few months ago and the Steve Munro blog post today on the subway track problems and how the TTC tracking of problems - and then fixing them - seems to have been 'poor' (to be VERY kind!) The RT derailment reports (by outside groups) clearly scared the shit out of someone and they immediately did a fuller inspection of the subway and clearly found LOTS of sections where the track needed attention (or a deeper study). We already knew that the management of service was poor, it appears the management is poor all over the organisation and the situation is clearly not helped by what seems to be a revolving door of senior managers and lack of any 'institutional memory'.

LOL Another sinkhole has torpedoed the 504.
Shuttle buses from Parliament to Broadview Stn.
Apparently a watermain break somewhere on Broadview.

Feb. 22, 2024

Upcoming TTC service adjustments

The TTC today detailed upcoming nightly service changes to enable upgrades to critical streetcar infrastructure and for ongoing construction of accessibility features at Lawrence Station.

Buses to replace streetcars on 509 | 510 | 310 late evenings Friday to Monday

Fri., Feb. 23 until Mon., Feb. 26, buses will replace streetcars on routes serving Union Station nightly from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. This is to enable upgrades to overhead streetcar infrastructure and maintenance work in theHarbourfrontTunnel.

509Harbourfrontreplacement buses will operate between Exhibition Loop and Union Station. At Union Station, customers can board 509Harbourfrontreplacement buses on Bay St., south of Front St.

510/310Spadinastreetcars will be running betweenSpadinaStation and Charlotte Loop, while replacement buses will serve stops alongSpadinaAve. between Queen St. and Queens Quay. Customers can transfer between 509Habourfrontand 510Spadinareplacement buses at Queens Quay.

Monday – Thursday early nightly subway closures

Mon., Feb. 26, through Thurs., Feb. 29, subway service on the portion of Line 1 Yonge-University between Eglinton and York Mills stations will end nightly at 11 p.m.

Shuttle buses will run, stopping at each station along the route. TTC staff will be on hand to direct customers to shuttle boarding and offloading locations. Lawrence Station will be closed during these hours. All other subway stations will remain open for customers to load PRESTO cards, purchase PRESTO tickets and connect to surface routes.

Customers who require Wheel-Trans service can speak with any TTC customer service staff member for assistance.

The early nightly closures are to accommodate construction of accessibility features at Lawrence Station. Once the construction is completed, Lawrence Station will be equipped with two elevators connecting customers from the station entrance to the bus terminal and subway levels. The station will also feature new barrier-free doors throughout, accessible sliding doors, and improved wayfinding and signage for enhanced customer experience.

Reduced speed zones

The TTC is advising customers travelling on several portions of Line 1 Yonge-University and Line 2 Bloor-Danforth of reduced speed zones, which may result in longer than normal travel times along certain sections of the subway.

As a safety precaution, the TTC reduces speed along sections of rail where maintenance is required, allowing trains to run safely during service hours while minimizing disruptions to customers. They also protect workers who may be required at track level to conduct routine or emergency inspections.

Customers are encouraged to plan ahead and consider the additional time they may need for their trips. A complete list of current reduced speed zones can be found on the TTC website at:https://www.ttc.ca/service-advisories/subway-service/Reduced-Speed-Zones

While the TTC does most subway maintenance at the conclusion of service each night, it continues to require weekend and early weeknight closures to complete critical infrastructure and state-of-good-repair work.

The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that impact service, as well as alternate route options. For the most up-to-date information, follow @TTCNoticeson X or sign up foreAlerts.

LOL Another sinkhole has torpedoed the 504.
Shuttle buses from Parliament to Broadview Stn.
Apparently a watermain break somewhere on Broadview.

Yes, north of Gerrard, an area where a NEW watermain was installed last year.
Surprise, surprise ladies and gentlemen. Would it surprise you if I said that this was a Sanscon project?

We dont know the official cause of the watermain break yet of course, but we do know who the contractor is and their lengthy list of issues.

'Tis the season!
504A Detour westbound via Bathurst Street, Dundas Street W and Dundas West Station due to watermain break.
Shuttle buses operating eastbound on Queen between Dufferin and Sunnyside Loop. Westbound shuttle buses operating via Dufferin, King, Jameson to route.
Fun times with the King Streetcar diverting via Dundas and its replacement buses are running on Queen.

Back