News   May 28, 2024
 858     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 455     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 819     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

If I am reading this correctly the MoE was legally required to be notified because the TTC is a public entity

https://www.ontario.ca/page/report-...of pollutants reporting spills,1-855-889-5775
It would certainly have to be immediately reported, if it's a private entity. The ministry has a 24-7 staffed hotline for stuff like this.

If they hadn't reported this to MoE(CP) by ... perhaps 8 AM at the very latest, even heads should be rolling at TTC.

I don't think there any exemptions for public agencies (though perhaps a federally-operated railroad might be different).

Westbound Bloor is closed from Avenue to St. George. Were the buses going north on Avenue, west on Lowerth?

1715653688763.png

How does this even work? Do they go to Broadview instead of Neville park?

4) Cracked switch near Museum station which could have led to a severe derailment had the TTC not been lucky with instituting a slow order around the problem spot (only reason the slow order existed was because the TTC instituted around a dozen slow orders around the system because of the Line 3 incident).
Leary has to go.....there's no doubt about that.

But to attribute this as a "failing under his watch" is pretty unfair. Rails crack - that's just a fact of life. And to make it worse, it is extremely difficult to detect where a crack may occur or if it may propagate into a full blown broken rail. In most cases, a cracked or broken rail can be traversed at a low speed indefinitely until it's possible to effect a repair when the system is closed.

When that crack happens at a switch point, on the other hand, it is a far more tricky thing to deal with. You can't have trains rolling over it a low speed, because it a much smaller piece that isn't secured in the same manner as a normal rail. And worse, it was a switch that is not built to the standard design(s) that the majority of the system is built to. There are some spare parts for those, but it's not practical to have a whole spare switch lying around when you are only using it in one or two places on the system. So, it takes a fair amount of time to prep a new piece of rail to replace the broken one.

Now, if we had found out that the TTC's rail milling machine was broken, and it was going to take days to make the repair? Yeah, we could put the blame on Leary for that. But that wasn't the case here.

Dan

Leary has to go.....there's no doubt about that.

But to attribute this as a "failing under his watch" is pretty unfair. Rails crack - that's just a fact of life. And to make it worse, it is extremely difficult to detect where a crack may occur or if it may propagate into a full blown broken rail. In most cases, a cracked or broken rail can be traversed at a low speed indefinitely until it's possible to effect a repair when the system is closed.

When that crack happens at a switch point, on the other hand, it is a far more tricky thing to deal with. You can't have trains rolling over it a low speed, because it a much smaller piece that isn't secured in the same manner as a normal rail. And worse, it was a switch that is not built to the standard design(s) that the majority of the system is built to. There are some spare parts for those, but it's not practical to have a whole spare switch lying around when you are only using it in one or two places on the system. So, it takes a fair amount of time to prep a new piece of rail to replace the broken one.

Now, if we had found out that the TTC's rail milling machine was broken, and it was going to take days to make the repair? Yeah, we could put the blame on Leary for that. But that wasn't the case here.

Dan
Very fair point, when we go into the technicalities of that case I guess we cant put 100% of the blame of that particular issue on him.

However, wasnt there a bunch of maintenance equipment that the TTC was looking to acquire but the decision to acquire the equipment has been delayed/spread out over the next few years?

I'm not privy to 100% of the maintenance equipment that the TTC uses off the top of my head, so i'm not sure which pieces have been delayed, but there's a document around (which of course I cant find right now) that details what the TTC was looking to acquire.

Edit: Found part of it.

This shows how the spending on maintenance vehicle equipment keeps getting spread over more and more each year

1715720497815.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m honestly incredibly upset that Myers flubbed Leary’s dismissal so badly, and, that Olivia Chow seems to be pretty blasé about the TTC’s performance.

Yes, she’s said some nice things about empathy and maintenance, but I want to see something concrete. Leary being shown the door would be a great first step.

As part of the expansion of the Spadina Station LRT platform, serving will be nixed (as streetcar) from June to December this year.

A partial mitigation to serve Chinatown involves trying to improve Dundas service via a number of new/enhanced turning and parking restrictions.

This as a part of a motion at the last meeting of TEYCC:

1715780156378.png

1715780197270.png

From: https://secure.toronto.ca/council/agenda-item.do?item=2024.TE13.42

As part of the expansion of the Spadina Station LRT platform, serving will be nixed (as streetcar) from June to December this year.

A partial mitigation to serve Chinatown involves trying to improve Dundas service via a number of new/enhanced turning and parking restrictions.

This as a part of a motion at the last meeting of TEYCC:

View attachment 564030
View attachment 564031

From: https://secure.toronto.ca/council/agenda-item.do?item=2024.TE13.42
What do they mean by "without recommendation"

A Supplementary Agenda has been added to tomorrow's board meeting with two interesting items... https://www.ttc.ca/All-public-meetings/board/2024/Board-Meeting-May-16?tab=0

10. Notice of Motion – Keeping the 505 Dundas Moving Through Chinatown: Support for Temporary Adjustments to Parking Regulations on Dundas Street West

11. Notice of Motion – Request that the City of Toronto Integrity Commissioner commence an investigation

12. Receipt of Advice from External Counsel (Confidential Attachment – This report contains advice or communications that are subject to solicitor-client privilege, including communications necessary for that pu rpose)

Oh FFS!

Here we go again. Can we just can his ass already.
Hopefully the advice from External Counsel is a bunch of reasons to fire him for cause. If we can keep his Golden Parachute from deploying so much the better.

Interestingly the request for investigation by the Integrity Commissioner is for a member of the TTC board. I have my own theories (possibly because of speculation at the time, I can't recall now) about who leaked the info to the media in October, but I wonder if they might be able to gather any proof.

Back