Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I'm actually excited that something is finishing, a transit project is actually going to finish & open. It's not part of the TTC or GO networks obviously, but it is a new transit line, right? When was the last time that happened, 2001 with the Sheppard line? The next time this will happen is (hopefully) end of 2017.

9719888879_cf12939293_h-600x486.jpg

Hi there, ehlow

15624439627_40babcf474_b.jpg

Why don't you like me, ehlow?

[Edit: Argh, Adjei beat me to the punchline. Let us fight antirubbertireist prejudice together ;) ]

Attachments

• 9719888879_cf12939293_h-600x486.jpg
    9719888879_cf12939293_h-600x486.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 579
  • 15624439627_40babcf474_b.jpg
    15624439627_40babcf474_b.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 569
Good God, is there any provincial agency of ministry that writes more fluff than Metrolinx? I support UPX and still can't stand their mawkish press releases.

April 22, 2015 - Metrolinx will be introducing a free wifi hotspot in the bathroom at Yorkdale bus terminal. "Our unprecedented public transit investments are making transit a better choice for commuters," said Steven Del Duca, as he stands in front of a toilet to perform his self-congratulatory BS. "This is further proof of our government’s commitment to ease congestion and make the quality of life better for Ontario families". Bruce McCuaig, President and CEO of Metrolinx, was also on hand for this exciting announcement. "Whether it's an easy-to-use mobile GO website, service alerts delivered right to your inbox, or free Internet access while you shit, we’re committed to giving our customers the innovative tools they need to stay in the know".

This project is part of the largest infrastructure investment in Ontario's history. This is just one way we’re transforming transit.

I'm actually excited that something is finishing, a transit project is actually going to finish & open. It's not part of the TTC or GO networks obviously, but it is a new transit line, right? When was the last time that happened, 2001 with the Sheppard line? The next time this will happen is (hopefully) end of 2017.
Hope we finally see a large surge of completions in the next 10 years (York TTC extension, ECLRT, Hurontario, any GO RER, full TTC Presto, all old streetcars gone, and possibly one or two more LRT approved during a future budget, like Hamilton LRT or Sheppard LRT).

And we have ION in Kitchener-Waterloo and Confederation LRT in Ottawa.

Traditionally, Saturday is the busiest travel day of the week. The quietest days are Tuesday and Wednesday, so if they wanted to ease into it picking one of those two (or perhaps Sunday, which is usually a fair amount quieter than a Saturday) would have made a lot more sense.

I assume they picked Saturday for minimal interference with GO trains. It gives them 48 hours to work out an unexpected corridor issues.

Hope we finally see a large surge of completions in the next 10 years (York TTC extension, ECLRT, Hurontario, any GO RER, full TTC Presto, all old streetcars gone, and possibly one or two more LRT approved during a future budget, like Hamilton LRT or Sheppard LRT).

I agree with how exciting the completions are going to be. Just a note, the Sheppard LRT is already approved. It will enter the RFP phase this year, and the Finch LRT enters the RFQ phase this year.

Hope we finally see a large surge of completions in the next 10 years ... all old streetcars gone ...

Only if the future budgets include money for more new ones to match capacity to the actual growth in demand, otherwise a lot of the old ones will be around the next 10 years. Then again, in 10 years we might still be waiting for the last of the 204 on order right now.

Yes, looking forward to all the pictures & videos of newly opened rail lines.

The 2nd platform at Union and the new streetcars are pretty exciting. Presto would be, if there was more progress.

Just to confuse things with specifics....it looks like this weekend's work window will commission the second track from Parkdale to Nickle. That gives two tracks as far west as Nickle, and from Wice west to Halwest. Intermediate signals appear to have been turned on this far, for these tracks. I don't know if the current track alignment from Parkdale eastwards is the final one for these two tracks, however. The rest of the second track, and the third track, is clearly getting close to completion, and likely all the larger track shifts are finished. Personally, I would not bet on April 1... but I would bet on June 1.

- Paul

Hehe.... Post #5095, Feb 22 2015......I will take a bow :)

- Paul

June 6 also happens to be D Day.....and since a Saturday launch is likely designed to be a first day on a less busy day of week there are likely gonna be some empty seats.....would be a nice PR move to allow Military Vets to ride for free on launch day (IMO)

And there are no GO trains running that day so they have maximum flexibility to keep things running well.

I wish someone would tell VIA Rail that Saturday is a busy day for travel!

- Paul

Back