Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

Hello! I'm in Tower 2 and my thermostat suddenly changed from cool to heat today, and the cool option is no longer available. Wondering if everyone is experiencing the same thing? I can't even turn on the fan without turning the heat on...

Hello! I'm in Tower 2 and my thermostat suddenly changed from cool to heat today, and the cool option is no longer available. Wondering if everyone is experiencing the same thing? I can't even turn on the fan without turning the heat on...

There was something posted near the elevators that they turned off the AC and turned on the heat.

Did anyone notice 72 inch shower curtains are too short? 84 seems like its touching the bathtub floor.. What size did anyone go with?

Did anyone notice 72 inch shower curtains are too short? 84 seems like its touching the bathtub floor.. What size did anyone go with?

The shower curtain rods are a compression fit and is movable at least mine is. If 72 inch are too short you should be able to simply lower the bar, or if you prefer the 84 just lift the bar up higher.

Hi my wife and I are moving in to tower 3 this week. We picked up the keys last week and at the time inquired how much an extra garage fob would be. We were told in no uncertain terms that as we only have one parking space we are only entitled to one garage fob. We were also told that my aunt who owns the apartment wasn't allowed a key card for access as she is not a resident of the building. She was allowed to order as many apartment keys as she liked but couldn't have a key card as even though she owns the apartment she has no rights to enter the building. We are therefore left with one garage fob and one key card. My wife and I both drive the car so it's going to be a pain making sure that the right person has the right fob or key card each day. Has anyone had a different experience to us and managed to order spare fobs?

Extra keys are 10 dollars each. not sure about remotes as they have been out of stock.
I wonder if it's cheaper if I just went to a key shop and have a key copied on my own. Also, I wonder if I'd be breaking any sort of condo by-laws if I did that.

Hi my wife and I are moving in to tower 3 this week. We picked up the keys last week and at the time inquired how much an extra garage fob would be. We were told in no uncertain terms that as we only have one parking space we are only entitled to one garage fob. We were also told that my aunt who owns the apartment wasn't allowed a key card for access as she is not a resident of the building. She was allowed to order as many apartment keys as she liked but couldn't have a key card as even though she owns the apartment she has no rights to enter the building. We are therefore left with one garage fob and one key card. My wife and I both drive the car so it's going to be a pain making sure that the right person has the right fob or key card each day. Has anyone had a different experience to us and managed to order spare fobs?

I haven't talked to property management yet. But the concierge told me that anyone who is NOT a resident is supposed to park in visitor's parking in P1. They'd have to report who they are and who they are visiting, but otherwise would not need a fob. And if that person happens to have their own key, then that person should be able to get in and out as they please.

Last edited:
I understand that they only want residents to have access and even though it would be convenient for my aunt to have a spare key card we can get round that, if she parks in the visitor parking as you suggested. I guess we were just a bit annoyed at the inflexibility of the building management with our fobs. At the moment we have one garage fob and one key card. Ideally as we share the one car we would like two garage fobs and we were prepared to pay for the second fob and hand the key card back in exchange. The guy who did our PDI told us that spare fobs were about $100 each. So we were surprised when met with 'one parking space, one fob'.
Basically we just want the convenience of not having to check every time we leave home that the right person has the fob and the other has the key card. Maybe that's asking too much?!

One key fob per parking space is pretty much the norm. Imagine everyone had a "spare" - you would never find a visitor parking spot... and those that own a spot may find a car parked in their spot... as with the $10 spare key - the cost is pretty norm too... however, you could have just bought one from a lock smith and get them to do it at the same time... it would be cheaper.
Are you breaking any laws? no... is the key special? probably not...
What I am surprised is that they wouldn't give an extra fob... it's a real inconvenience if you are a landlord.

One key fob per parking space is pretty much the norm. Imagine everyone had a "spare" - you would never find a visitor parking spot... and those that own a spot may find a car parked in their spot... as with the $10 spare key - the cost is pretty norm too... however, you could have just bought one from a lock smith and get them to do it at the same time... it would be cheaper.
Are you breaking any laws? no... is the key special? probably not...
What I am surprised is that they wouldn't give an extra fob... it's a real inconvenience if you are a landlord.

The key is a "special" key in that it is a do not duplicate key. Locksmiths are not allowed to copy, so you would not be able to simply go into a locksmith or a home depot and get it copied. The locksmith comes into tower three one day per week. If you want your key copied, leave it with the management office and they will get it copied.

I think extra keys are made on Thursdays by the locksmith who comes to the buildings.

Management posted the prices a while ago and key cards are $50 and keyfobs are $100. They didn't mention anything about the one space per fob rule, although that does make sense.

HVAC was set to "heat" on September 18th. Setting your thermostat to "cool" (if you can even do that; I can't seem to do that on mine) will operate the fan only but will not result in AC.

Anyone notice the lack of hot water in Tower 1? I'm on the 14th floor and I like to shower before going to bed; there is never any hot water at night and only lukewarm at best.

Also, why does everyone drive so fast in the parking garages? There are so many tight turns yet people just fly around. I've almost been hit a few times, both in my car and while walking to my car.

If it is the same fob, yes. I live in a different building and we have a separate fob for the garage door.

Back