25     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.7K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really starting to look like TPS just jumped the gun on thinking they had a case for extortion. From what I understand, Giroux is primarily a homicide det, so I wonder when the last time he actually cracked an extortion case was. There are subtle differences between the two - like usually in homicide cases it's easy to deduce which party is the victim. Also, he certainly hasn't ever faced a foe like Rob Ford - prominent, well-connected, a lifetime spent around criminals worth of street smarts.

At this point I've given up all hope that extortion charges will be forthcoming. It's been what, a year? So I highly doubt any new physical evidence is going to come in. The only way he gets charged at this point I think is if Lisi or somebody else turns, so I think the only is a hell of a plea bargain they've been holding out on.

Given everything we've seen in the ITO, I find it hard to believe that the TPS doesn't have a strong case. I think it's possible that the OPP and Crown are looking at the political implications of perp-walking Ford and/or searching his home/office/Deco in the middle of the mayoral campaign. My feeling on that whole sh*tshow last week is that the Ford arrest chatter had reached such a fever pitch that the OPP pull back was needed to diffuse the situation. MM's tweet about "private citizen" Ford is telling - my bet is that the election will play out without any charges against Ford, but by no means is he in the clear.

Given everything we've seen in the ITO, I find it hard to believe that the TPS doesn't have a strong case. I think it's possible that the OPP and Crown are looking at the political implications of perp-walking Ford and/or searching his home/office/Deco in the middle of the mayoral campaign. My feeling on that whole sh*tshow last week is that the Ford arrest chatter had reached such a fever pitch that the OPP pull back was needed to diffuse the situation. MM's tweet about "private citizen" Ford is telling - my bet is that the election will play out without any charges against Ford, but by no means is he in the clear.
I don't see why the police or the crown would care about "political implications...in the middle of the mayoral campaign". The campaign lasts 8 months. If there was cause to arrest they would not sit on their asses for that length of time. And what if Ford was re-elected? In that case, waiting until after the election and then arresting him would be much worse.

Seems to me that Toronto is stuck with the 'perfect storm' calamity of having both incompetent corrupt criminal mayor and incompetent corrupt police chief at the same.

I don't see why the police or the crown would care about "political implications...in the middle of the mayoral campaign". The campaign lasts 8 months. If there was cause to arrest they would not sit on their asses for that length of time. And what if Ford was re-elected? In that case, waiting until after the election and then arresting him would be much worse.

Seems to me that Toronto is stuck with the 'perfect storm' calamity of having both incompetent corrupt criminal mayor and incompetent corrupt police chief at the same.

At least they are not working together.

The Beaches Easter parade has banned politicians from marching. They say it's not about Ford, but...

BksueG7CcAAN02G.jpg

There have never been troll wars on this thread. It has been up to recently a remarkably civil place. In the old days, the odd troll that waddled onto the thread was intelligently and quickly slaughtered, and subsequently either banned, or stopped posting because no one would put up with their bullshit.
And it is true that you and a few others have really brought down the quality of this thread in recent weeks with very immature and pissy postings.
The recent trollish attacks on MM are just more of the same kind of crap that consistently ruins threads on reddit. Its a shame this very lame kind of behaviour has infected this thread, and i hope it stops, because it makes the thread really boring, and a lot less special.
But, its true that no good thread lasts forever.
I am not sure if you were joking as you of the other posters suggested, or serious. But I am taking everything you say at face value, and agree.
Trolls have not been crude here, that I have seen.
This has gotten worse in the last couple of weeks.

The Beaches Easter parade has banned politicians from marching. They say it's not about Ford, but...

11:00 Doug says that Rob will be there
12:00 Parade officials release public letter saying that Ford isn't invited
14:00 Doug says that Rob is the mayor and can go wherever he wants
15:00-16:00 Lawyers talk
16:05 Rob shows up at work, fakes a back spasm and ignores reporters
16:08 Rob calls it a day
16:30 Doug says that Rob has decided not to attend the parade, because he doesn't want to steal baby Jesus' thunder. "I can't count how many people have stopped me on the street to say that Rob is the White Jesus".
16:31 Reporter asks if they meant "purple Jesus"
16:32 Doug gives everyone the finger and storms off
22:00 Joe Warmington publishes story about how healthy Rob looked when he walked in next week's parade

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I couldn't find a thread for this, but wanted to find out about people's opinions on the new food truck rules. While it is great to have a diversity of street food, is it really fair to people who own restaurants and pay thousands of dollars in rent?

I remember awhile ago MetroMan had said his City Hall source told him that he caught Ford occasionally sleeping on the couch in his office. Maybe that's what he was doing after the game.

That isn't such an offensive thing after work hours - though I doubt this is the case, with the presence of the two other individuals.

AoD

Hi everyone,

I couldn't find a thread for this, but wanted to find out about people's opinions on the new food truck rules. While it is great to have a diversity of street food, is it really fair to people who own restaurants and pay thousands of dollars in rent?

I don't want to derail this thread into a food truck discussion, but short answer "Yes it's fair".

Does McDonalds compete with a fancy Yorkville restaurant? Does a limited menu of (even high quality) food truck food where you have to stand to eat it, compete with the sit down experience of a sit down three course meal? Should a competing regular restaurant be banned from opening near another restaurant?

If your restaurant can't handle the competition, then it's survival of the fittest.

Hi everyone,

Yes, it's perfectly fair. It's not fair that food trucks have to be so far away from restaurants though.
If a restaurant want to save money on rent, they can just have a take out window with no seating, like a food truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back