News   May 15, 2024
 400     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 374     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1K     2 

Saks Fifth Avenue Flagship (Queen & Yonge)

I've noticed most Saks buildings use all the same colours, white/cream and black. I wonder if the Toronto location will look like every other Saks store or will they do something more radical? Since it is the Canadian flagship store.

They could, at the very least, replace the existing pre-cast cladding with the cream-coloured pre-cast cladding that you've shown in your photos. They might even run a cornice line along the top to give it more of their PoMo look. Even this would be a marginal improvement over what they have now.

The second thing they could do is at least punch in some windows, like what Nordstroms is doing to the old Sears/Eaton's in Vancouver (see officedweller's photos).

Whatever happens, I hope that the people in charge realize that the layout of the Bay, as it is, is very poor for luring people in and having them circulate around. Right now, the main street entrance on Bloor opens to a corner of the cosmetics floor; the entrance from the underground shopping mall is scarcely bigger and definitely not grander than that of any boutique store. There are sections that are seemingly tucked away like dead ends - is the men's formalwear section still like that, or did it move? Anyway, I'm very happy that this store is being turned into a Saks. It's probably the most exciting retail news all year. Still, I don't envy all the work they'll have to do reconfiguring that space, both inside and out.

I'm as preservation-minded as any, and one of the first to jump to the defence of Brutalism and concrete, but I have to say I'm genuinely surprised that anyone would want to preserve this bunker. Good for you, but I suspect you're gonna be lonely...
Same here. I will miss it only a bit. However, if they wanted to tear down say Manulife Centre, then I'd have a problem.

From the G&M story it sounds like the lower levels will resemble the above examples:

The above also suggests that the renovation of the Bay store might not be as extensive as some believe if some of the current exterior cladding is being retained.

Those references are to the renos at the Queen Street Hudson's Bay - wrt floor tiles.

The opening paragraph of the article suggests a whole new facade for the building.

considering that this building has neither a visually historic importance nor a cultural historic importance, I see no reason to preserve it.

Those references are to the renos at the Queen Street Hudson's Bay - wrt floor tiles.

The opening paragraph of the article suggests a whole new facade for the building.

My bad. I misread and thought it was a reference to the Bloor street store. This explains why so much of the Queen street store still looks shabby. I don't know why Baker would find that "clever". Aside from the new stores within a store much of the Queen St Bay looks as it did 20 years ago.

Considering how stingy Baker has been with the Queen Store reno's I really wonder if he is planning a major revamp of Bloor street?

Does anyone think that this will even happen? I mean, there was a lot of hot air in that article, and it's not like HBC is doing *really* well. The article sounded like a bit of a puff piece.

Does anyone think that this will even happen? I mean, there was a lot of hot air in that article, and it's not like HBC is doing *really* well. The article sounded like a bit of a puff piece.

I have found a lost of the Saks in Canada fairly full of bluster. Considering that Saks has retreated from a lot of mid tier markets (ie Pittsburgh) and consolidated space in other markets (ie Chicago where they've shut suburban stores to support their Michigan flagship) in recent years - part of me finds it hard to believe they can open 8 full-line stores in Canada. But that's just my own personal take. (There are, I believe approximately 40 stores in the US - which would lead me to believe that only 4 would make sense for Canada [Vancouver, Calgary, and Toronto (x2)]) - again just my somewhat educated albeit personal opinion.

I have found a lost of the Saks in Canada fairly full of bluster. Considering that Saks has retreated from a lot of mid tier markets (ie Pittsburgh) and consolidated space in other markets (ie Chicago where they've shut suburban stores to support their Michigan flagship) in recent years - part of me finds it hard to believe they can open 8 full-line stores in Canada. But that's just my own personal take. (There are, I believe approximately 40 stores in the US - which would lead me to believe that only 4 would make sense for Canada [Vancouver, Calgary, and Toronto (x2)]) - again just my somewhat educated albeit personal opinion.
Montreal???

My bad. I misread and thought it was a reference to the Bloor street store. This explains why so much of the Queen street store still looks shabby. I don't know why Baker would find that "clever". Aside from the new stores within a store much of the Queen St Bay looks as it did 20 years ago.

Considering how stingy Baker has been with the Queen Store reno's I really wonder if he is planning a major revamp of Bloor street?

I don't think you've been in the Bay Queen Street store in a while if you think that it looks 'much as it did 20 years ago'. Basement, 1,2,3, floors have been completely and very expensively overhauled.

Where the old Bay was selling Y-front Jockeys @ 25% off at the Bay Richmond entrance, the new Bay is selling women's boots for $1400.00 in a very luxe environment.

Yes the BAY street store looks much much better ... due to improvements carried out in the last 5 years or so ... yes only the first 2 or 3 floors but I know there are plans to redo others.

Montreal???

Much smaller luxury market in Montreal, different market in a lot of ways. A lot of retailers entry later (i.e. Banana Republic who rolled out across the country before even bothering with Montreal). Part of it is economic - higher tax structure, and part of it is cultural, different local shopping patterns. Nordstrom for example isn't looking at the Montreal market. My point is that a lot of what baker is saying about Canada seems somewhat bluster and uninformed. Even with Montreal - I can't see more then 5 (AT MAX) Saks stores in Canada.

Back