News   Apr 25, 2024
 281     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 396     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 594     0 

Saks Fifth Avenue Flagship (Queen & Yonge)

I don't think any tower needs to come down to rejig the retail space.

I would say it's within the range of modern engineering to work around the structural columns of existing buildings. Otherwise, almost nothing would get built.

Who in there right mind would think they are planning to tear down that corner? Never going to happen.

All they need to do is reconfigure the entrance to the store. And that should include that wall on Bloor. Putting a proper entrance on the street if they can would be an amazing start.

I don't think any tower needs to come down to rejig the retail space.

I would say it's within the range of modern engineering to work around the structural columns of existing buildings. Otherwise, almost nothing would get built.

Not saying it would be/need to come down (in fact, was saying that it would be quite unlikely to) but it would be nice to see those rather ugly buildings go.

AoD

Shouldn't it be named Saks Bloor Street?

No. All Saks stores are named "Saks Fifth Avenue"

Hopefully Saks in Canada will have the same outstanding customer service like the ones in the states. I think Holt's will have to tone down the pretentiousness and rise the level of their customer service to compete with Saks.

I really can't wait to see what they have planned for this store...

Leadership seems convinced in making this a fabulous flagship department store. I'm hoping for an atrium to help with the vertical flow... Argh so many great options on such a neglected piece of prime real estate!!

At least it is confirmed HBC is taking this in the direction we all thought was likely - and we also know this won't be just any store, but the second largest Saks in arguably the most well-known chain of luxury department stores.

That's essentially what the Bay has going on at Queen Station.

I wonder if they could actually improve the basement level significantly - it is an extremely claustrophobic space due to the low ceiling and crowdedness from inadequate TTC crush space.

AoD

Who in there right mind would think they are planning to tear down that corner? Never going to happen.

All they need to do is reconfigure the entrance to the store. And that should include that wall on Bloor. Putting a proper entrance on the street if they can would be an amazing start.

FWIW - Brookfield did do a feasibility study last year with regards to demolishing this whole complex and putting a pair of 80-storey towers on this corner. Wallman were the architects involved.

Incredible news.

Good to know the blank concrete face along Bloor is a priority with the change to Saks. They may not have to do an entire tear down, but a massive reconfiguring of the space is 100% needed.

I wonder if they could actually improve the basement level significantly - it is an extremely claustrophobic space due to the low ceiling and crowdedness from inadequate TTC crush space.

AoD

I lived in the apartments above when they did the first (and only) renovation to the Concourse since this project opened in 1976. When the ceilings came out (and pink & purple neon!) it was a mess of electrical, HVAC and then concrete, there is no way to go any higher. What they could do is cut back the storefronts in the high traffic areas to make the mall wider, beyond that there's not much that can be done.

FWIW - Brookfield did do a feasibility study last year with regards to demolishing this whole complex and putting a pair of 80-storey towers on this corner. Wallman were the architects involved.

Strange, there's also a 35'ish storey condo above the complex at the east end which presents a challenge well beyond tearing down a hotel, apartment tower, shopping areas and above & below grade parking (and working around two subway lines).

The Bay store has good bones and good spaces, a new and open facade is the best we can hope for, and a very dramatic improvement it will be. I'd really like to see shops at street level in front of The Bay property, that would really help liven up this stretch.

Back