News   May 28, 2024
 411     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 496     0 

Restaurant Tipping Etiquette

Social custom, along with a guesstimate of a person's compensation, should really dictate the level of a standard tip in any jurisdiction. Good service is on top of that. For that reason, I start at 15% and go from there in Toronto at least. Perhaps a tad less for cabbies.

However, such rationale is not applied consistently. I have asked before and I am asking again, why don't we tip store salespeople? Often they bust their ass getting this and that for their customers all day, who often end up buying nothing. They make very low wages too and are usually just starting their career. Why don't we tip them?

Sales staff are at least making Ontario minimum wage (or higher) unlike restaurant servers and some companies offer sales commissions too. In the end here does it stop? Cashiers at the grocery checkout? TTC fare collector? Courier? It's customary and acceptable to tip wait staff in Canada and for those who have traveled to any degree gratuities vary by country or region, as touched on earlier.

Sales staff are at least making Ontario minimum wage (or higher) unlike restaurant servers and some companies offer sales commissions too. In the end here does it stop? Cashiers at the grocery checkout? TTC fare collector? Courier? It's customary and acceptable to tip wait staff in Canada and for those who have traveled to any degree gratuities vary by country or region, as touched on earlier.

Gratuities may vary, but only in North America servers seem feel entitled to them as if anything less than 10% is unacceptable. For example, my British friends specifically told me you don't have to tip the bartender in London, in case I feel obligated to.
It is "gratuities", which means it is not obligatory and shouldn't be considered so.

I don't have problem paying it. I always tip enough. But it is sickening to often hear someone being called "stingy" or "bad tipper" because he didn't tip that 15%.
It is also funny many boast "I tip 20%" as if it shows some virtue. If one wants to tip excessively more than normal, that's his business. It is like giving money to charity, it is your choice, but you don't have to tell everyone to feel superior.

I should preface this post by saying that I've been a restaurant server when I was younger and obviously a restaurant patron in my life so my opinions are that from experience on both sides of the fence. I am adamant that tips should be optional. Never should a server expect a tip and never should they justify a tip simply on the basis that they earn a lower minimum wage.

I find one of the problems with servers and their tips is that you do get used to the steady stream of additional income at the end of the night so those Friday and Saturday nights, you go to work anticipating the bigger than usual payday so one patron or group of patrons shortchanging you of that typical amount of tip goes noticed. I'm all for tipping well but it really does have to be earned.

My general thinking is that anyone who provides a service (ex, bringing me a meal, cutting my hair, giving me a mani-pedi, driving me somewhere quickly and safely) gets a tip. People who are just selling me something (clothes, a Shamrock shake) do not. Professionals - for example, an RMT, don't get a tip.

I normally assume that 18-20% is the standard tip. If I'm having a great time at dinner and the server is fun and helpful and attentive, it's going to be 20%. Otherwise, I mark down from there, like in figure skating judging. If the service is atrocious, then I am talking to the manager (this never happens). Cabs are slightly different. If the fare is 8 dollars ish, then the driver gets 10-11 bucks. But, if the driver has to ask me for directions or spends the entire time on the phone or is slow or a bad driver, then no tip.

My general thinking is that anyone who provides a service (ex, bringing me a meal, cutting my hair, giving me a mani-pedi, driving me somewhere quickly and safely) gets a tip. People who are just selling me something (clothes, a Shamrock shake) do not. Professionals - for example, an RMT, don't get a tip.

by the same token, you should tip dry cleaners, cinema ushers, handymen etc.

A hairdresser and a cab driver are only selling your something too, their service, not so much different from a piece of clothes. I don't know why you think it is different. Waiting is different because it is additional to the food. Can't say the same to hairdressers/cab drivers.

What a cheap ass you are!! These severs bust their balls off while making below minimum wage. I used to be a server, if you don't tip, I would strongly suggest never going back to the same restaurant twice, because I have seen first hand what servers and cooks do to food for people they remember who didn't tip. ;)

That's disgusting, and you called Khristopher an ass?

That's disgusting, and you called Khristopher an ass?

Yeah, i was being polite. :p Toronto's fine dining restaurants don't have to worry about people not tipping. Those kinds of people, wouldn't let their shadows go near the front door of some of Toronto's finest restaurants.

Recently i had an absolutely outstanding meal at Michael's on Simcoe, then went for drinks at the Ritz, Shangri la and finished up at Nota Bene. I noticed everyone i was with and those sitting next to us at the bar, were tipping extremely well. Chatting with my friend who is a bartender and new to the city. She told me people in Toronto are extremely generous with their tips! i was happy to hear that!!

Yeah, i was being polite. :p Toronto's fine dining restaurants don't have to worry about people not tipping. Those kinds of people, wouldn't let their shadows go near the front door of some of Toronto's finest restaurants.

Recently i had an absolutely outstanding meal at Michael's on Simcoe, then went for drinks at the Ritz, Shangri la and finished up at Nota Bene. I noticed everyone i was with and those sitting next to us at the bar, were tipping extremely well. Chatting with my friend who is a bartender and new to the city. She told me people in Toronto are extremely generous with their tips! i was happy to hear that!!

Apparently you think waiters have the right to put stuff in the food of patrons who they consider are bad tippers. You seem to think it is the right thing to do as punishment and you even seem happy that it is a common practice??

Sure, paying more tips shows generosity, but a customer comes to the restaurant to buy food, which the restaurant provides. The waiter's job is to bring the food, and under no circumstances should he/she tamper with the food, even if he/she recognizes that the customer killed his/her parents. That's called professionalism.

A tip, after all, is optional, no matter how you stretch it. One does nothing wrong not to tip, but it is wrong to tamper with restaurant customers' food. Whoever did it should be banned from waiting for a year. Waiters sometimes take it for granted as if one is a bad person just by not tipping, and this is shameful.

Apparently you think waiters have the right to put stuff in the food of patrons who they consider are bad tippers. You seem to think it is the right thing to do as punishment and you even seem happy that it is a common practice?

That's not what i think. You're putting words in my mouth. I have already condoned such an act few pages back.

To be blunt, you are a gigantic *******.

Wonder how long this post will stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
There just so happens to be an interesting article on The Grid regarding tipping...

http://www.thegridto.com/life/finance/the-tipping-point/?sort=popular#comments

The tipping point

Good service, good tip? If only it were that simple.

BY: Katie Underwood

Don’t let the illustration above confuse you: About a month ago, I went full Anne Hathaway and had my hair chopped from a nondescript bob to a full-on pixie. What possessed me to make the leap wasn’t a break-up or my usual debilitating laziness. It was Billy, a super-talented stylist at the midtown salon near my house. I drink coffee, he layers, we talk food and relationships (him) and hangovers (me), and I leave feeling less like an electrocuted q-tip—basically, it’s perfect.

A key part of any new relationship with a hairstylist is figuring out how much to tip. In Billy’s case, I started with my standard methodology—googling it. The advice I received from the internet experts: Tip 20 per cent for competent hair-stylists in large urban centres. Misled by years of abiding by the “tip the tax” maxim, and despite those online recommendations, I settled on what I thought was a perfectly generous 18 per cent. Still, that 20 per cent figure lingered in my newly shorn head, and, if I’m being honest, made me feel more than a little bit guilty.

Tipping originated in the public houses of 18th-century England, where marked boxes were filled with coins for wenches to ensure quicker-than-average service. These days, throwing down change for service workers seems increasingly motivated by social pressures. Some customers tip a straightforward 15 per cent no matter how competent or vile the service, simply to avoid confrontation or being labelled a miserly dink.

There are some vague benchmarks floated by industry experts, but individual ideas about how much, when, and who to tip are pretty idiosyncratic. What about the bartender? The burrito-delivery guy? Should I tip on the pre- or post-tax total? What if the service is flat-out terrible? For such a seemingly minor act, an awful lot of factors—regional customs, your parents’ attitude towards tipping, your own attitude towards money—play into the calculations. We need help.

For some tipping guidelines, I consulted Louise Fox, owner of Toronto-based manners consulting service The Etiquette Ladies. Fox says tips can vary according to obvious situational factors like rudeness, but the priciness of the establishment (higher-end or more modest), and even its location (salons in Yorkville versus rural Saskatchewan), can also alter the amount you add on top.

She adds that tips of 15 to 20 per cent are normal these days at upscale hair salons, with a small tip on top of that for the colourist and shampoo person; it’s 10 to 15 per cent at less-expensive chains. Bartenders should expect no less than $1 per drink; it’s 10 per cent for cabbies, and about the same for delivery people. And the tip should be calculated on the pre-tax amount, meaning that if your new side-shave comes to $60 before HST, your total should round out to $69.

So, what happens when you take a cab ride from Yonge to Dufferin, and your driver is showing not-so-subtle hints of road rage? Fox says the polite thing to do is tip anyway.

I tend to be pretty passive when faced with bad service—I usually just drop 15 per cent anyway and leave with a pout. Still, most people I know wouldn’t be as generous as Fox if they spotted a hair in their soup. It’s true that the extra cash is a financial saving grace (and rent-payer) in the restaurant industry, where minimum wage is a hard-earned $8.90 per hour. But customers are leaving more than just change when they tip; the amount of the gratuity represents valuable feedback for both the server and his/her employer, and it’s rendered less meaningful when we blindly follow arbitrary guidelines.

As tiny as they might seem, tips can be fraught with controversy. Just last year, Roncesvalles restaurants The Ace and The Westerly ignited a firestorm after Toronto Star restaurant critic Amy Pataki described how their electronic pay terminals were prompting diners to tip a generous 20 per cent instead of the mid-range 15. And NDP MPP Michael Prue (Beaches–East York) is set to table his “Protecting Employees’ Tips Act” at Queen’s Park for the third time this spring, which would abolish the practice of resto managers getting a cut of servers’ gratuities as part of the end-of-shift ritual of “tipping out.”

The accepted philosophy behind tipping—that it’s based on your appraisal of services rendered—suggests that no one can really coerce you into leaving a specific amount, no matter what their debit screen might suggest. But from a money-saving standpoint, standards are helpful when budgeting a big night out, or even a ride to the airport. And when it comes to reconciling etiquette with our own financial impulses, it seems we still need all the tips we can get.

Here's an interesting article in the Globe and Mail relating to what we're discussing about abolishing tipping, increasing the bill to cover for the costs of tipping, then paying the wait staff a commensurate salary.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...e-excellent-dont-leave-a-tip/article12468018/

Did you get great service? Don’t leave a tip

ANN HUI
The Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, Jun. 11 2013, 9:17 AM EDT

The days of whipping out a cellphone calculator or scribbling long division on a napkin when the bill arrives may soon be over.

The New York restaurant, Sushi Yasuda, recently announced that it has implemented a no-tipping policy. Instead, the restaurant increased its prices by 15 per cent across the menu, and servers paid a proper salary and benefits based on that.

So will other restaurants follow suit? Here’s hoping.

The custom of tipping has long been questioned by both restaurants and customers.

For servers, the fact that North American employers pay their waitstaff minimum wage (or often below minimum wage, in the U.S.), means that, despite grueling work, waiters often live on tips alone. As a former restaurant server who relied on tips to pay for books throughout university, I can attest to the fact that budgeting is a challenge with such an unpredictable source of income. In contrast, European servers are paid a living wage (like in the system that Sushi Yasuda is introducing), which means they’re able to earn a decent income without having to rely on tips to top up meagre wages.

And for customers, tipping varies so widely across cultures, that customs can sometimes seem completely baffling. In Japan, for example, customers are not expected to leave a tip despite often exceptional service, while Canadians feel compelled to leave a minimum of 15 per cent even for inadequate service.

The fact that we tend to tip based on the amount of the cheque – and not on the level of service received – can also seem absurd. In a recent TEDx lecture called “Rethink Tipping”, University of Guelph professor and former restaurauteur Bruce McAdams uses the example of wine-ordering to illustrate how this makes “absolutely no economic sense.” A table that orders a $100 bottle of wine will leave double the tip of someone who only orders a $50 bottle, he said, even though both tables have received the exact same service – a waiter opening the bottle of wine and pouring it.

Tipping can even lead to discrimination, Mr. McAdams argues, with servers sometimes catering to certain customers based on ethnic or cultural stereotypes.

But will customers be willing to pay more for their food to make up for not tipping? Sushi Yasuda’s co-owner Scott Rosenberg said in his case, the answer seems to be yes. He said that the new policy (and prices) has not affected the restaurant’s volume of customers, and that the resulting bill often ends up being about the same anyways.

“What our customers find is that they’re essentially paying the same, maybe a touch less, because we’re a little more conservative about how we adjusted our prices,” he told The Price Hike.

And how great would it be not to have to do the math anymore?

Here's another article following up on the no-tipping policy adopted by Sushi Yasuda in NYC in addition to some other new tidbits. Personally, I'd like to see something like this implemented all over Toronto but, alas, that would be a pipe dream.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-end-of-restaurant-tipping-2013-08-19?link=MW_latest_news

The end of restaurant tipping?

The argument that waiters and customers will be happier if all tip 0%

By Charles Passy

A recent move by Sushi Yasuda, a high-end Japanese eatery in New York, to prohibit customers from leaving gratuities — the restaurant raised menu prices by roughly 15% to cover waitstaff salaries — is prompting discussion about whether the no-tip movement could reach, well, a tipping point.

And it is a definite movement: Such renowned restaurants as Thomas Keller’s Per Se in New York and French Laundry in Yountville, Calif.; Alice Waters’ Chez Panisse in Berkeley, Calif.; and Grant Achatz’s Alinea in Chicago have similar policies in place. So did the recently closed Linkery restaurant in San Diego, where owner Jay Porter found that service improved because of the policy, despite widespread beliefs that the tradition of tipping fosters a culture of accountability.

Porter’s argument? Having a reliable income is empowering. “If you don’t have to think about money, you can focus on doing your job well,†he wrote earlier this month.

Actually, the case for going tip-free is broader than that. Restaurateurs and customers alike say that it does away one of the most unpleasant aspects of the dining-out experience — namely, the meal-ending ritual of “grading†a server and then doing the math based on that judgment. “The meal should be there for you to enjoy without doing this calculus,†says Sushi Yasuda owner Scott Rosenberg.

That said, consumers don’t appear to put a lot of thought into the grading, at least according to a Cornell University study. Researchers at the school found that diners tipped about the same amount regardless of their experience. “Average tip percentages are only weakly related†to service quality, study author Michael Lynn concluded.

Still, at a time when dining establishments have come under fire for issues relating to how tip money is split among employees — in many eateries, gratuities are shared with support staff or even managers — there’s some thought that a no-tip policy may be the quickest way to avoid headaches and potential legal complications. For example, at Starbucks, the issue has become so thorny that baristas have sued to win back millions in tips that they allege were unfairly divvied; one case is currently making its way through the courts.

In that light, eliminating the whole issue of gratuities looks like “a win for the restaurants,†says management and strategy consultant Abhay Padgaonkar.

But the practice has its defenders. Without such a reliable system of accountability, high-level service could be compromised, says Edward P. Foy, Jr., owner of The Chateau on the Lake, an American-European upscale restaurant in Bolton Landing, N.Y.

Even some servers point out that accountability can sometimes work to their advantage: With tips, there’s the potential to make more money than might be possible under a flat-wage system. “Getting rid of tipping would be horrible,†says Jenn Harris, a waitress in Solana Beach, Calif.

There’s also the issue that old habits are hard to break. While tipping is not necessarily standard in other parts of the world — most notably, some Asian and European countries — it’s long been part of the American dining system. “Even if you changed the server’s mentality toward how they are compensated, it is almost impossible to rewire the American customer who thinks they have to leave ‘something’ at the end of the meal,†says Carolyn Richmond, a New York-based attorney with Fox Rothschild who specializes in the hospitality industry.

That’s indeed what Scott Rosenberg of Sushi Yasuda discovered after establishing the restaurant’s no-tip policy a few months ago. Patrons were still leaving money on the table, resulting in instances of waiters having to track them down outside the restaurant to return the cash. But Rosenberg says that customers have gotten more accustomed to the policy in recent weeks and are bette appreciating the point.

“It just seems like a more transparent way of operating a restaurant,†Rosenberg says.

Here's another article following up on the no-tipping policy adopted by Sushi Yasuda in NYC in addition to some other new tidbits. Personally, I'd like to see something like this implemented all over Toronto but, alas, that would be a pipe dream.[/b].

But if you get crappy service or food you still have to pay 20 percent tip!

Back