Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Fantastic picture someMidTowner. That's one of my favourite spots. Even though they are packed in tight, the clean uniformity of the modernist BAC works well right next to the eclectic Trump. A great looking bunch of buildings. The magnificent PoMo Scotia Plaza is going to be very hard to beat however.

I find this spot can be a bit awkward.. as you get closer to yonge street, it isn't so bad, but something about the geometry of trump (having a big setback and a curved facade) doesn't sit well with me with the straight lines of BA and Scotia Plaza. but like i said, all these problems die down when you get closer to yonge where you can see the entire north side of Trump (dome and all).

the worst angle by far is directly from the south.
how Trump looks from the TD Centre is prob a sweet spot. and you to see the balcony of stock.
still, the angle where Trump makes it's mark the most is anywhere on Adelaide west. it changed how you view the street forever with this massive impossible-to-miss landmark (kinda like what Shangri-la did to University)

but still if I had to pick one, I'd say street level is where this building looks best (and most proportionate)

NEW! UT debate generator. Can be applied to any thread.

Choose from the following nouns:
Spandrel / Precast / Clewes / Box / PoMo

Add the following verbs:
Love / Hate

and adjectives:
Elegant / Restrained / Faux / Contrived / Pastiche

Select wrist-stiffness:
Limp / Semi-Limp

Agreed, the south view does let it down, with the balconies looking a tad like an afterthought. Any photos of the view from the patio yet?

it's not so much the balconies to me as it is the setback. the way it just sticks out so awkwardly mixed with an awkward transition from the granite to glass. I also don't like those vertical window slits... they're EXTREMELY noticeable from the south.

what i find the most awkward about the balconies is how they stick out into the glass portion... it's hard to describe what i'm referring to, but it's awkward and doesn't really make sense to me.

its a great addition to the citys skyline.

no doubt. the dome and spire have really added a lot to every postcard-worthy pic/vid i've seen in the past year. it's a very nice touch. especially from NPS/Osgoode Hall.

Sept 19th: I spent more time making the lines of Scotia and Trump line up than i did checking to see if I was holding my camera level.

rc8E6.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of pics from the Stock restaurant terrace at Trump are up in a story on the front page now.

sorry guys and gals but i still think ( more so now with its vertical stripes) that this buildings looking better and better and a fine addition to the city

Thanks Traynor :) I would have done so myself but there were 15 threads to post in alphabetically and by the time I got to "T" I was too lazy.

NEW! UT debate generator. Can be applied to any thread.

Choose from the following nouns:
Spandrel / Precast / Clewes / Box / PoMo

Add the following verbs:
Love / Hate

and adjectives:
Elegant / Restrained / Faux / Contrived / Pastiche

Select wrist-stiffness:
Limp / Semi-Limp

While limply amusing, your contrived reply is a pastiche of silliness and faux trolliness, although I admit to a restrained chuckle or two.

I know this forum can get under one's skin from time to time, but lets keep the sniffness of wrists out of it! :)

Returning to subject at hand. Impressive pictures of the terrace (is it a terrace, or a balcony? What is the exact definition?)

Sept 19th: I spent more time making the lines of Scotia and Trump line up than i did checking to see if I was holding my camera level.

golden photo! one of the best spots to view this tower.

looking at the homepage views from the balcony, they are fantastic. The views/atmosphere look amazing, but the balcony is really really narrow (not a complaint because it's literally just hanging off the side of the building), and only accommodates a handful of diners.

I wonder when/if Toronto will ever get a roof/terrace like the one at Trump Chicago. I know our buildings/geography isn't as pretty, but some sorta terrace overlooking Bay St in the financial district, or even Bay St North anywhere north of College would provide some slick views.

It is a kind of ugly building when you look at it up close. But the shape of it is elegant, its an excellent addition to the core and skyline, and I'm sure most people would rather have it in our city than not.

Back