News   May 13, 2024
 130     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 564     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 639     0 

Riverdale

A few years ago, when the bowling clubhouse building was moved up the hill and parked opposite Langley Avenue, a number of trees were planted on the slope of the hill. Recently, I counted 11 of them that were either dead or in very bad shape. What a waste!

Sun Valley Fine Foods closes after 29 years on the Danforth
TheStar.com

Published on Tuesday July 31, 2012

Another independent grocery store has forever shut its doors.

Sun Valley Fine Foods ended its 29-year stint on Danforth Ave. Sunday, much to the sadness of the stream of customers who discovered an empty shop Tuesday.

But business was tough, so store and building owner Gerry Aravantinos decided to close the grocery and lease the prime corner space instead, said Jim Bexis, manger of Sun Valley’s Scarborough location at Danforth and Birchmont Rds.

“We had a good run,” Bexis said. “It’s tough to compete in this city when you don’t have parking.”

He wouldn’t reveal Sun Valley’s replacement, but the community rumour mill pegs the future tenant as a pharmacy chain.

The neighbourhood will miss the store’s friendly atmosphere and the one-on-one connections between staff and customers, store manager Michael Apostolou said on a break from packing shelves.

“When you’re an independent, there’s a soul in the store,” he said, remembering the many friendships he made during his 25 years there.

Apostolou sold specialty foods such as aioli and Greek olive oil, fresh produce and prepared meals at the store since he was 14 years old. He’s going to miss it.

The store could have survived, but the opportunity to lease it proved too tempting, he said.

“When you own a building, you can get money for not doing anything,” Apostolou said.

He encouraged customers to shop at the Scarborough location, about 8 kilometres away, where some employees will move.

For remaining customers, he has a message: “Support your independents or you’re going to see a lot more of this happening.”

That’s just what area resident Eleni Kapitanoff tried to do Tuesday when she set out specifically to buy Sun Valley’s chicken breasts, but the locked doors foiled her plans.

The store’s meat was “wonderful,” the produce “always fresh, the best quality,” and the staff, well, they were “wonderful” too. Kapitanoff shopped there for 15 years.

But when asked if she’d make the trek to the Scarborough location, she said “forget it.” Kapitanoff doesn’t have a car, so she’ll have to save her trips to Sun Valley for weekend shopping excursions with her husband.

“We’re really going to miss it.”

Sun Valley’s closing adds to the list of independents that called it quits in 2012. In March, 23-year-old Reither’s Fine Food International on Church St. closed and July marked the final days of 43-year-old Marky’s Deli on Wilson Ave.

What, your not going to jump on the subway to Danforth and Birchmount? It's only about half-an-hour.

I can't imagine that's how I'd reward the greedy owner ...

Agreed. Not sure how he reconciles these two comments of his:

“When you own a building, you can get money for not doing anything,” Apostolou said.

-and-

For remaining customers, he has a message: “Support your independents or you’re going to see a lot more of this happening.”

On Sunday at about 5:45 a.m. I saw a fox, as I waited at the streetcar stop opposite Simpson Avenue for the 504 to take me down to the antique market. Perhaps it's the same one that trotted along my street at half past midnight a few weeks ago, heading towards the Don valley. The creature didn't look particularly lively, and I found it rather alarming that, when it saw me, it moved in my direction. I shoo'd it off. I know I've got animal magnetism but this is ridiculous.

Do foxes have rabies?

No turning sign

A new no turning sign has appeared at the corner of Carlaw and Langley, which prohibits north bound traffic from turning west on Langley between 4-6. Not sure how residences on these streets are supposed to get home at this time. There was no community consultation. For some reason bicycles are allowed. :mad:

If you live on Langley between Carlaw and Logan, I suppose you'd have to turn onto Simpson and go up Logan to Riverdale, turn right along Riverdale, then down Carlaw to Langley and turn right onto the street.

There was a cop parked on Langley at 4 p.m. today and I saw him ticket someone who turned onto the street - but loads of other cars were going past while he was writing out the ticket having done the same thing. So you take your chances.

... or, go up Logan, turn right onto Victor, then drive north to Langley along the laneway that you'll find just before you reach Carlaw.

A new no turning sign has appeared at the corner of Carlaw and Langley, which prohibits north bound traffic from turning west on Langley between 4-6. Not sure how residences on these streets are supposed to get home at this time. There was no community consultation. For some reason bicycles are allowed. :mad:

I saw the item on the Toronto East York Community Council agenda. It was a motion by Councillor Fletcher, and the request for the no turn sign was based on the safety of students walking from Pape Avenue Public School. It was very unclear how prohibiting right turns at that intersection made students safer (esp. given the existing pedestrian walkway, and the fact that turning cars slow down in a way that cars going straight through do not). Also I would have thought that the rush of schoolkids walking home occurs before 4. It certainly doesn't extend to 6 p.m., but coincidentally the rush hour does.

It was clear that Fletcher was responding to residents on the street who wanted to keep rush hour traffic off their street, but she dressed it up as a school safety issue so other Councillors would be less likely to question it.

Perhaps the combination of a fairly well-used pedestrian crossing ( not just from the school, but from No Frills and the mall as well ) in the same location that traffic slows down down to turn left backs up southbound traffic unduly at rush hour?

Perhaps the combination of a fairly well-used pedestrian crossing ( not just from the school, but from No Frills and the mall as well ) in the same location that traffic slows down down to turn left backs up southbound traffic unduly at rush hour?

Yes, but going forward that backlog to turn will occur two blocks further south at Simpson and spill into the busy intersection of Gerrard and Carlaw.

This really, really sucks for many of the residents that live within Riverdale, even more for those that live between Carlaw and Logan. How is one supposed to get home from rush hour? This really impacts all those that live on westbound streets north of Gerrard.

Knowing Paula, this is probably the result of some resident complaint about traffic during rushhour. All this is doing is going to spill over to Logan and Simpson, making it worse for the rest of the residents. Terrible urban planning. I can't see many using langley as a through way, most of the traffic is more local.

Last edited:
This really, really sucks for many of the residents that live within Riverdale, even more for those that live between Carlaw and Logan. How is one supposed to get home from rush hour? This really impacts all those that live on westbound streets north of Gerrard.

There is only one westbound street north of Gerrard that it affects - Langley.

Back