543     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Sorry bro, but transit city had like what - 20 billion? - in funds all total.
If one can plan that and enthusiastically support that, then one can support funding subways. We do not need 20 billion right away for the subways. A couple billion here and there would do the trick.

And how much is currently committed of that fantasy 20 billion?

What percentage of that committed money is going towards the Eglinton tunnel?

Beyond getting a near-subway through 12km of Eglinton with the remaining money, there will be significant improvements in transit available to a fair number of people. If that remaining money was put towards subways, we'd be addressing a small fraction of those people.

Okay I wasn't clear. Mississauga could use SOME of those LRT cars? How many did they order? I checked the figures from the Hurontario-Main LRT page and it said 50 LRT vehicles would be needed. That leaves 134 vehicles. How many does Ottawa need? Hamilton?

Luckily when we cancel Eglinton those cities will also have the capital dollars required to build their track too!

Beyond getting a near-subway through 12km of Eglinton with the remaining money, there will be significant improvements in transit available to a fair number of people. If that remaining money was put towards subways, we'd be addressing a small fraction of those people.

Oh, so now it's not too expensive to tunnel?!
Funny how the tramsit city guys live in their own lie - supposedly it is too costly but their central thing is a big tunnel.

If one makes such a long tunnel then it should be a metro tunnel, not a tram tunnel. Ford is the man to castrate Tramsit City in its place, and I take my hat off to that.
Instead of seeing trams enter and exit the eglinton tunnel, we have a possibility to not see subways. Making it a subway from the get go will fully castrate any hope that tramsit city trolls had to ruin toronto - afterall, they deserve nothing of their plan to be built because they did not want citizen participation. One can not do something by just ramming through one's agenda regardless of the consequences. The consequence is this election result, and the great result of NOTHING being built of TC. This is a great time right now. I am so happy, and you all should be too.

I don't really care which metro lines get built or extended, as long as some do get built.

But there is one vital thing. An extremely vital thing. And that is to give the Transit-City promoters nothing. They must get nothing. They were not willing to give others anything, so they themselves should be at the receiving end now. It is our obligation as toronto folk to sweep up their b.s. into the litter box and throw it out where it belongs.

I'm just really loving how the tables have turned.

A week ago I was getting lambasted and told "deal with it, it's happening" now that their messiah McGuinty is slowly siding with Ford it's over.

Transit City is dead, and I couldn't be more proud.

A week ago I was getting lambasted and told "deal with it, it's happening" now that their messiah McGuinty is slowly siding with Ford it's over.

I am just thrilled at how the transit city promoters are appalled. That is like the best thing in all of this, how they see themselves getting the bad end of the stick now. And the worst thing is that they know that their agenda does not deserve to get anything, so they're panicking even more because of that. They though they had it all, but in fact they gambled everything away. And the saddest thing is that they do not even realize that they were wrong!!

I am just thrilled at how the transit city promoters are appalled. That is like the best thing in all of this, how they see themselves getting the bad end of the stick now. And the worst thing is that they know that their agenda does not deserve to get anything, so they're panicking even more because of that. They though they had it all, but in fact they gambled everything away. And the saddest thing is that they do not even realize that they were wrong!!

A poorly thought of transit plan deserves to die.

At least it will be in good company - with Metro 2011 and the likes.

Actually they were ordered a few months ago.
They were ordered a few months ago - but Metrolinx exercised an option that was in the existing TTC LRT order (TTC assigned some of the additional 400-car (or so) option on the original 204-car order to Metrolinx) that was in the works for years.

Presumably there were time-frames on the options, that some had to be exercised by a certain date.

Luckily when we cancel Eglinton those cities will also have the capital dollars required to build their track too!
Indeed. It's interesting to see that Ontario funded both Ottawa and Kitchener construction in the 2010-2015 timeframe after cancelling some of the 2010-2015 Transit City funding for budget constraints.

If one makes such a long tunnel then it should be a metro tunnel, not a tram tunnel. Ford is the man to castrate Tramsit City in its place, and I take my hat off to that.
Instead of seeing trams enter and exit the eglinton tunnel, we have a possibility to not see subways. Making it a subway from the get go will fully castrate any hope that tramsit city trolls had to ruin toronto - afterall, they deserve nothing of their plan to be built because they did not want citizen participation. One can not do something by just ramming through one's agenda regardless of the consequences. The consequence is this election result, and the great result of NOTHING being built of TC. This is a great time right now. I am so happy, and you all should be too.

Sorry, that sounds rather childish.

Imagine that Ford cancels LRT and commences one or two subway projects ... by 2014, they will have barely began. Then if he loses the 2014 elections and the new mayor has a different vision, he or she can cancel those subways as well.

The whole process is broken, regardless to the relative advantages and drawbacks of subways versus LRT.

Last edited:
It would be interesting indeed if Ford's cancellation of Transit City resulted in funding for LRT projects across the province. Not saying it will happen, but it could (if Ford cancels Transit City and doesn't end up replacing it with anything).

Don't call victory until we actually get some form of transit out of this. It'd be just as much of a tragedy if Ford just cut all the transit funding.

Don't know why everyone's celebrating (or thinking) transit city's cancelation:

1) the funded projects haven't been cancelled and are still underway
2) its a long road and upward battle to get them cancelled at this point (past council approval, then metrolinx then province)
3) if it gets past council, metrolinx and prov, you won't magically have subways replacing those lines.. there will be nothing, just a lot more EA's, turf wars and funding delays as gov changes.

You won't be seeing any transit expansion in your lifetimes (unless you were born yesterday, which by the sounds of it, some of you might be.)

Imagine that Ford cancels LRT and commences one or two subway projects ... by 2014, they will have barely began. Then if he loses the 2014 elections and the new mayor has a different vision, he or she can cancel those subways as well.
Yes, it's called the OC Transpo method of rapid transit expansion. Say, what DID happen in Ottawa BTW?

They are not? Oh they will be.

Remember in what tone and how metro expansion shall occur, according to miller's bastards?
"CANCELED"
"NO but we won't be canceled"
And to that the miller tram fanatics said the words in this same tone/voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPOb3DlB7WA

Cheers that evil satan's plan died! Cheers!

For starters, one must be an idiot to try to build more than one at a time. It's too risky because you never know what idiot might come on. So we are forced into the phase of gradual planning, or in other words small extensions at a time.
But even that is a plus over tramsit city.

Cheers that evil satan's plan died! Cheers!

Okay those saying Transit City is going ahead as is are clearly deluded, but how does that equate to "evil satan"???

Some people just destroy the pro-subway sides credibility (as some LRTistas do on the pro-LRT side as well).

Back