News   May 10, 2024
 113     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 578     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 856     1 

West Don Lands

From the September 2008 newsletter: http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/newsletter/viewnewsletter.php?id=48c6be3939338&template=5

First Phase of West Don Lands Development
River City, the first West Don Lands development is moving along. The team of Urban Capital Property Group of Toronto and Redquartz Development of Dublin was selected to lead the 850 unit development project. Both companies bring local and international interest and perspective to the development, a unique and bold architectural response to the site, and a deep commitment to sustainability.

River City will be built in the area that runs from King Street in the north, to the new Don River Park in the south, and from St. Lawrence Street in the west to Bayview Avenue in the east.

The River City team will be making its second presentation to the Waterfront Design Review Panel in October for the first two buildings in phase one of development. The sales launch for River City is expected early in 2009. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2010, and first phase of occupancy in 2011. Site signage and a marketing website will be up and running in the coming weeks.

Toronto Community Housing Corporation (TCHC), the developer of the 130 units of affordable housing presented their design to the Waterfront Design Review Panel in July. TCHC was granted approval for site plan application for fall 2008 with construction to begin summer 2009. Designing the mixed market and affordable housing units is Baird Sampson Neuert Architects, working with The Daniels Corporation as the developer partner.

District Energy
As part of its mandate to make Toronto a global leader in sustainable development, Waterfront Toronto has committed to meeting all of the heating and cooling demands of its new waterfront neighbourhoods through a centralized district energy system. Designed by Steven Holl Architects, designs for a District Energy Centre were presented to Waterfront Toronto’s Design Review Panel in July and approved to go into detailed design phase. The District Energy Centre is expected to go into construction by the end of 2008.

So the sales office will open early 2009, construction 2010, occupancy 2011. Sweeeet.

New phase of the site preparation near King

Hard to see what's happening from the streetcar, but the construction boyos seem to have dug a rectangular hole just south of the King/River intersection and are laying a steel grid in the hole.

Anyone know what this might be?

Hard to see what's happening from the streetcar, but the construction boyos seem to have dug a rectangular hole just south of the King/River intersection and are laying a steel grid in the hole.Anyone know what this might be?

I think it is the same thing they did along the closed section of Bayview last week and the 'steel grid' is actually a grid of warning tapes to stop anyone digging down to the contaminated soil below. Along Bayview they dug down ca 4 feet, put down the "tape-grid'. Once the tapes are there they put clay and then earth on top. They seem to be doing this only in the areas of the site where there will be no buildings (ie along the roads) and most of the site was excavated several feet and cleaned up before clay and earth were put back. Well, that's my take on it!

This is also the area where the Don River Park will be (as well as roads) so the steel grid won't be interfering with any digging. Part of the flood protection plan is to slope the park upwards, by the DVP. Will this be a dramatic slope that will require some sort of retaining wall, or are they only trying to bring it up to sea (river) level?

I went for a walk down to the distillery and noticed that the Canary is all wrapped up right now. Does anyone know if there are renovations going on?

f4c31cb6.jpg

Has anyone heard anything about (perhaps mentioned in a meeting?) building subway routing underground here for the downtown core line through the west Don Lands?

It would make sense to do it before buildings start going up.

in the 80's downtown Subway plan, West Donlands was still called "Atitritari" and that would have been the station name.

I think they're considering at a stop for Cherry Street now. Which would seem most effective at Cherry and Front, as that is central to West Don Lands, Distillery and Corktown.

The wrapped Canary restaurant reminds me of Christo.

christo.jpeg

I went for a walk down to the distillery and noticed that the Canary is all wrapped up right now. Does anyone know if there are renovations going on? QUOTE]

The 'Canary Building' (it was built as the Palace Street School) at the corner of Front (ex. Palace) Street and Cherry Street is being renovated, as is the CN Police Building on the north side of Front Street. Both are part of the West Don Lands Development - though I have not heard what they will be used for. (I heard they saved the Canary sign.)

I know the restaurant closed, but was/is the building itself still being used for anything? (I know it's had artsy tenants.)

I believe it's Ataratiri, since that brings in the most Google results of the possible spellings, and the architects for the project spelled it that way.

Right you are! I love it's supposed translation: "Swamp of the Taxpayer"

Back