Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

thoughts anyone? I like to hear if the UT members think "The Well" is Toronto's answer to Hudson Yard...
The Rail Deck business would more likely been a Hudson Yard thing...but that's unlikely ever going to happen. And for what that is worth.

Wait is that like $7 for a straight up, black coffee?
I suppose the closest thing to a 'black coffee' they serve is an Americano which is listed for $3.75. The closest thing that still resembles coffee (that doesn't have other 'exotic' stuff) listed at around $7 is an Iced Latte for $6.75, while a regular Latte comes to $5.45. So I guess $7+ are more for non-coffee or other types of drinks.

As far as ‘busyness’ goes the opening of the 5 000 person event space will make a big difference as I expect a lot of events will be in the evening.

Standard cappuccino. My colleague got a drink too and with tax and tip it was $14 something.

Considering most posh places have no clue how to make a proper cappuccino I'm highly suspicious of any value proposition here.

I might add; a proper cappuccino is 5.4oz; and if you want more than $1 per oz for my coffee you can go .............. ya know.

LOL

If you're trying to peddle me a 12oz cappuccino I'm laughing you out of the room.

I know you just don't know what you're doing and have no quality control.

For the record a cappuccino is not a latte, and if you have one w/liquid up to the top of your cup/mug, it was made by an idiot.

Here's a good instructional for the challenged:

Yep, @Northern Light: https://perfectdailygrind.com/2020/10/why-does-espresso-still-cost-1-euro-in-italy-price/

North America is different. We can (and should) aspire to the better, but it's difficult to gripe about the present given the hot tub of dipshit, money-grubbing stupidity we're all stewing in. Jump in, the water's warm...
I do enjoy going to a local coffee shop in Italy and paying for an espresso in change...
I also agree prices are quite elevated in north America... I generally buy beans and make my coffee at home... I do find De Mello to have pretty good selection of beans.
People choose to spend their money however they want I suppose.

I visited yesterday. It's a very beautiful place but worry even with all the retail full and open, there won't be a critical mass of stuff to make this a destination. The store frontages are way too big. From the Front Street escalator, I walked by 200 feet of endless glass and only passed 3 stores. Successful retail has a different store every 20-30 feet.

Another store opened this weekend
It’s called Groovy
IMG_3674.jpeg
IMG_3675.jpeg

$14 or not when I was there around 11am today all three of the open coffee shops were packed! Another thing that I noticed is that a lot of people were using the Atruim as a shortcut between Wellington and CityPlace so in that regard it is well placed. This should only increase when the passageway through the Westbank development is activated in 2025.

Last edited:

Back