News   May 15, 2024
 192     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 624     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 2.8K     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I thought the general drift was GO working on the north corridor through Kitchener and VIA the south one through Brantford. Do people there want to commute to Hamilton or Toronto. Maybe a shuttle to Aldershot with connections there in either direction? Would a station around Dundas make any sense?

Maybe this isn’t the right thread to ask this in, but I need to find the 1994 The Livable Metropolis document that the City of Toronto released. This document has a lot of interesting proposed GO transit services and I’d love to read the whole thing:
IMG_5276.jpeg

Maybe this isn’t the right thread to ask this in, but I need to find the 1994 The Livable Metropolis document that the City of Toronto released. This document has a lot of interesting proposed GO transit services and I’d love to read the whole thing:View attachment 518948

The primary variations from what we have today, in the above are:

1) GO Midtown Corridor along the CP Mainline

2) GO Bolton Corridor is shown

3) GO Richmond Hill is shown running on the CP Leaside Spur (now a bike trail)

The primary variations from what we have today, in the above are:

1) GO Midtown Corridor along the CP Mainline

2) GO Bolton Corridor is shown

3) GO Richmond Hill is shown running on the CP Leaside Spur (now a bike trail)

And Smarttrack stations. Yes, hated I know, but some of those stations on this map are being built because of it.

I'd love to see some more of the stations on here built, but we would have to start using EMU's.

And Smarttrack stations. Yes, hated I know, but some of those stations on this map are being built because of it.

I'd love to see some more of the stations on here built, but we would have to start using EMU's.

Well.........uhhh.........that map is from 1994; more than 2 decades before Smart Track or John Tory as Mayor.........

Certainly some of the latter station sites were on this map first.......

After spending way too much time looking at stuff on the internet about GO, I can’t believe how many proposed, cancelled, and unbuilt projects there are. I’ve been mapping ones out that I’ve found over the past 1.5 years, and I’ve reached 100 today:
You_Doodle+_2023-11-09T18_06_09Z.jpeg

If there’s one thing I learned from all of this, it’s that we’re truly in a golden age of transit right now, shovels are actually in the ground and plans are actually coming together, not just proposed on paper and then forgotten about.

Well.........uhhh.........that map is from 1994; more than 2 decades before Smart Track or John Tory as Mayor.........

Certainly some of the latter station sites were on this map first.......
Yes, im saying we are getting some of those stations because of the Smarttrack program, not that this map or those stations were ever his idea alone.

But as far as I know, none of the stations related now to Smarttrack were ever planned by GO beyond these dots on a map. The "50 GO Stations" report came out after Smarttack as a response to it, basically the provincial government taking a look at not only if ST was possible, but what if other infill stations were a good idea. Many of the dots on this map are in that report as well, but many were nixed for various reasons.

There are stations on here that are being built for other reasons as well, like Mount Dennis/Caledonia because of the LRT, the Davenport grade separation, some because of Smarttrack, and many are not planned to being built, for various reasons.

Last edited:
I went to the new Old Elm Station (I really don't know why GO didn't wait to change the name with the new location) last week. It's mostly fine, though there's one thing planners completely overlooked.

View attachment 520041
As if the absolute forest of signs wasn't enough.....they can't even install them in a coherent manner? Maybe they're working on the pretense that if one is good and two is better, therefore more is better-er.

As the line goes....."You had ONE job to do....."

This is what happens when people sitting in an office or working from home order a bunch of signs and explain where to install them without visiting the site. It is hard to even understand the intent. Don't walk here, this is the start of a sidewalk, followed by a sign that says bike on the sidewalk, walk on the grass. This yells flash mob artistry required... a crowd of mimes stuck unable to access the station because they are trapped in the grass.

The don't walk signs are intended for along Tenth Line - but people are generally permitted to walk along rural roads (albeit it's usually not particularly safe..), so I'm not sure why they are there.

You can more clearly see their intent in streetview:

1699976651686.png

1699976670724.png

Definitely could use more clarity though - and honestly should just be removed.

Generally I imagine they were put there so that the signalized intersection could operate without pedestrian signals (and the minimum signal cycle lengths which come with that).

The Cycling / ped sign further into the station is just plain odd.

Normally you put a don't walk sign on one side of an intersection when you would prefer that they use an alternate side of the intersection to cross safely. In this case as a pedestrian, if you obey the signs are stuck in the grass with no way out. There is no safe side of the intersection... there is a sidewalk for bikes ending in the grass. Arguably most people using this station will drive, but it is bizarre to say that the person living across the street can't walk to the station.

It’s not especially far from a subdivision on the far northeast corner of Stouffville – a 15 minute walk. There’s also a new mid-density development proposed for the property immediately to the south. This isn’t exactly Bloomington GO.

I suspect the municipality (Whitchurch-Stouffville) is to blame here, but you’d think Metrolinx would have demanded better.

Back