News   Jun 05, 2024
 383     0 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 567     1 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 660     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

According to this document, the wayfinding system on the Crosstown will slightly differ from Metrolinx's standard's as the Crosstown contract was signed before Metrolinx finalized their wayfinding standard in 2019. The main difference's would be the prominence of the TTC logo and also that the Crosstown would have a distinctive "Light Rail" icon, which Metrolinx wants to replace with a generic "Rapid Transit" icon (Ion also has the "Light Rail" icon).

ECLRT Wayfinding

Ah, yes, this is extremely clear and not obtuse at all.

1697564941286.png

1697564986693.png

The icon on the right looks like a streetcar. Maybe this isnt a big deal to the general public, but this looks so messy for regionwide wayfinding and designation purposes. Semiotics is a tricky field, but this level of differentiated symbols is unnecessary.

The slightly different version of “Metrolinx Standard” is also used by UP Express at Pearson Airport.

The icon on the right looks like a streetcar. Maybe this isnt a big deal to the general public, but this looks so messy for regionwide wayfinding and designation purposes. Semiotics is a tricky field, but this level of differentiated symbols is unnecessary.
Only copying what is found in Europe and they being doing it a lot longer than ML

When this warping happened from heat in 2021, leading to their removal…
… I was hopeful Metrolinx would’ve opted for some commonality with at least the signage pylons between Lines 5 & 6.

I don’t necessarily agree with this pylon design, but it should’ve been used for the Line 5 stations (not surface stops) as well.

Just hoping the Line 6 surface stops will at least have a grey version of these:

Ah, yes, this is extremely clear and not obtuse at all.

View attachment 513703
View attachment 513704
I mean, honestly, I’m not sure I’d be able to come with different images to differentiate between subways, metros and LRVs/streetcars. Also, images that have to be easily recognizable, can be recognizable at different scales and in various lighting conditions, etc.

It is a tough problem, regardless of whether we think it’s a problem worth ‘solving’ by Metrolinx.

Well, as it happens, I actually happen to agree with Metrolinx that there is no need to have a separate graphic for subway and LRT. All forms of rapid transit should be shown as such - whether it uses sensible old technology or some gadgetbahn nonsense is irrelevant to riders.

What I find baffling is the fact that, at length, the current LRT graphic is going to be replaced by a different one, as logical as that alternative may be. Isn't the whole point of these symbols that they're supposed to be fixed in place so that the public starts associating the type of transit with that particular symbol? If they change it, there is a not insignificant portion of the populace who will be confused by this. And that's fine, having spent many years working in retail, I fully support anything and everything that forces the unwashed masses to think a little, but I'm confused as to what their argument is for it. If you're not going to idiot proof it, why bother having any symbols at all?

Is this missed because there are conflicting standards document on the projects or were they simply published incorrectly by the vendors? I'm sure from my own experiences that this is not simple as just not inspecting properly. Don't they have a whole system than runs the line and sets the gauge. Or is something to do with the profiles of the rail? Just curious if anyone knows.

Back