News   May 13, 2024
 75     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 527     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 634     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Living up against a stirring bear tends to focus the mind.
Not abutted like Poland, but Russia‘s not too far from Canada either.

_48599177_usa_can_borders_02.gif

Thankfully we share the continent with the global superpower. Otherwise Russia might be giving us trouble.

Yoga giant Lululemon wins exemption to immigration rules that limit hiring foreign workers​

https://www.thestar.com/business/20...-rules-that-limit-hiring-foreign-workers.html

Lululemon has been seeking the exemption since at least 2016. It was reported at that time by CBC that the company warned in a letter to the House of Commons Finance Committee that it may move its headquarters out of Canada if it was not granted an exemption. The clothing company has argued that there is a shortage of talent in the Canadian market and said it wanted the same exemption given to the film industry and universities. Federal Innovation Minister François-Philippe Champagne said last week if Ottawa hadn’t acted, the company’s headquarters may have left Vancouver.

The IRCC said that the only other time the exemption was granted was in 2014 when the federal government allowed Microsoft Canada to bring in an unspecified number of foreign workers to British Columbia as trainees without LMIAs.

When asked why Lululemon in particular was granted a waiver from immigration rules, IRCC said “they demonstrated a persistent labour shortage for the high wage positions they are seeking to fill, a quantifiable significant investment in the B.C. economy and a robust strategy to encourage knowledge transfer to Canadians and permanent residents.”

Last edited:
Great to see the Globe and Mail call out Canadian businesses for being lazy and preferring cheap labour to innovation.

From the above:

View attachment 482086

View attachment 482087

Exactly what I've been saying.

The Globe had a really weird idea after that about quotas and exchanges for the rights to TFWs that I frankly find bizarre (and they were doing so well).

Lets just turn the tap off on TFWs for any low-skill, low-wage job and raising the minimum wage by at least $4 per hour over 2 years; the problem will naturally fix itself.
Not even just innovation, it's about just being willing to pay what the free market is willing to exchange for its labour.

It seems like these businesses want their cake and to eat it as well.

'Not a simple story': Labour shortages aren't being driven by lack of highly educated job seekers​

Shortages appear to be mostly centred in jobs requiring little education

Living up against a stirring bear tends to focus the mind.

Canada can do things very quickly when it needs to. Look at the C17s, C130Js and Chinooks during the Afghan war.

I really hate that people confuse procurement policy and politics. The system itself is fine. The politics is not. It's no different than our issues with building high speed rail or housing. Writing contracts and cutting cheques is not the hard part.

Not abutted like Poland, but Russia‘s not too far from Canada either.

Far enough from population centres though. The truth of the matter is that for all the talk about being an Arctic nation, most Canadians don't care. Canada is less of an Arctic nation in mindset than all of the other Arctic nations. I would argue that the US cares more about Alaska than the average Canuck cares about Nunavut.

Thankfully we share the continent with the global superpower. Otherwise Russia might be giving us trouble.

The real irony is that so many Canadians chafe at the idea of being beside the US. Meanwhile the majority of the world would be happy to trade places with us.

That map is slightly deceptive. Russia has gotten really aggressive in the Arctic. And they claim the North Pole as part of their continental shelf. You can bet this means any ice free summers in the decades to come will see Russian naval projection far closer to Canadian shores. And people wonder why I think we need to plan some amphibious capabilities and field a proper submarine force.

Canada can do things very quickly when it needs to. Look at the C17s, C130Js and Chinooks during the Afghan war.

I really hate that people confuse procurement policy and politics. The system itself is fine. The politics is not. It's no different than our issues with building high speed rail or housing. Writing contracts and cutting cheques is not the hard part.
And what *I* really hate is when someone stomps on an opinion or viewpoint with both feet.

Policy is only as good as the politicians allow it to be exercised.

There's a good video discussing Australia's evolving foreign policy (especially with regards to China) and how that is driving their rearmament.

We have similar issues in Canada with regards to our Arctic and even our Atlantic and Pacific approaches. We don't usually have this kind of intellectual rigour in our analysis and policymaking though.

Another piece from the Globe and Mail today deriding Canada's shadow immigration system (foreign students and temporary workers) and arguing its bad for business, bad for the real estate market, bad for schools and bad for the foreign students
we exploit as well.

As its behind the paywall, I'll bring a couple of bits forward:

"There may be a case for foreign workers in the agriculture sector, with its seasonal, time-sensitive work, as long as those employees are treated well. But industries such as fast food are also frequent users of the program. If the local Tim Hortons can’t find enough workers, it should raise wages, innovate or close. There is no economic imperative to prop them up; doing so makes it easier to put off productivity investments such as automation."
And
"Ottawa should immediately begin to rein in these immigration streams through annual caps, forcing schools and low-wage employers to face their respective realities. International students can contribute much to Canada, and we to them, as long as it is at levels at which they can be properly supported. For critical sectors that badly need workers, such as health care and construction, we should look to permanent streams that don’t tie workers to their employers.
Canada wants and needs bright young people to move here to build their future. But exploitative band-aids are not the way to do it."

Hear Hear!

Yep. As an alphabet person, I am kind of unsurprised by the backlash. I feel like pride is a bit overdone. I don't see any problem with explaining that there are different orientations, gender identities (just like there are different ethnicities and religious affiliations and so), in an age appropriate way in school, but making it a big celebration or festival seems a bit over the top. We're already changing the minds of younger generations to be accepting and tolerant through the broader culture, we don't need to enrage and trigger the conservatives. The last thing we want is make parents feel forced into segregating their children into conservative religious education, where the quality of education is likely to be lower and children will be inculcated with regressive ideas.

Yep. As an alphabet person, I am kind of unsurprised by the backlash. I feel like pride is a bit overdone. I don't see any problem with explaining that there are different orientations, gender identities (just like there are different ethnicities and religious affiliations and so), in an age appropriate way in school, but making it a big celebration or festival seems a bit over the top. We're already changing the minds of younger generations to be accepting and tolerant through the broader culture, we don't need to enrage and trigger the conservatives. The last thing we want is make parents feel forced into segregating their children into conservative religious education, where the quality of education is likely to be lower and children will be inculcated with regressive ideas.

To which post are you replying?

It was a post that appears to have been (re)moved, commenting on some protests by parents/family about schools engaging in pride celebrations/teaching about sexual minorities.

I'm not sure why those posts were removed. I can't recall who posted. There was a tweet with a video interview of a protesting mother and late teens daughter lamenting how young children are exposed to these topics and they want to pull their young family members from school in June.

Back