News   May 09, 2024
 459     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 451     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 742     1 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

John Tory was the one pushing for it and making it his priority. hence less leverage now and less of a voice imo
John Tory "pushed" for it just like he was pushing for the Waterfront East LRT, Waterfront West LRT, and Eglinton West project (before Metrolinx took it over).

It was all cheap talk where he wasnt willing to put any money into it, thus was added to the city's never ending list of approved but unfunded projects. It wasnt going to happen under his watch.

New Eglinton East LRT Website Dropped:

Some basic notes, the platforms are confirmed to only be 50m long, and the line will "allegedly" feature TSP.
There is also this line justifying making this line separate from the ECLRT:
  • Vehicle performance can be tailored to the needs of the corridor, including the steep grades along Morningside and multiple turns.
This means that they are likely not looking towards making this line compatible with the ECLRT.

Here's the new official map:
97d0-2023-05-11-EELRT-Major-Stops-NO-NIA-CLR-Border.png

It seems like because this is a separate line, they now have to build it all at once instead of phases due to the location of the MSF.
It also looks like they're planning on holding a virtual public meetings on May 30, June 1, and June 7.

Also a bit of a side note, but I feel like they should build this line using TTC Gauge and TTC Streetcar standards. That way we could potentially connect this up to a future Kingston Road Streetcar extension.
Edit: Plus I imagine the specs of the the TTC Streetcars could potentially help out with some problematic sections of the line such as the turn onto Military Trail from Ellesmere

Last edited:
It seems like because this is a separate line, they now have to build it all at once instead of phases due to the location of the MSF.
It also looks like they're planning on holding a virtual public meetings on May 30, June 1, and June 7.

Also a bit of a side note, but I feel like they should build this line using TTC Gauge and TTC Streetcar standards. That way we could potentially connect this up to a future Kingston Road Streetcar extension.
Edit: Plus I imagine the specs of the the TTC Streetcars could potentially help out with some problematic sections of the line such as the turn onto Military Trail from Ellesmere
Here's my plan:
* Truncate the other EELRT branch to end at Guildwood GO, maintaining RapidTO lanes from Kennedy Station to Guildwood GO (-6km LRT)
* Truncate the Durham-Scarborough BRT to meet the EELRT at UTSC (-6km BRT), and instead re-route an EELRT branch via Ellesmere to meet STC (+6km LRT)
* Extend the Line 4 to Malvern (+4km subway)
* Build a Stouffville Line spur to STC (+2km GO)

Probably would cost $1-2B more than the current plans, but with a huge boost in connectivity in my opinion.

1684265492489.png

Here's my plan:
* Truncate the other EELRT branch to end at Guildwood GO, maintaining RapidTO lanes from Kennedy Station to Guildwood GO (-6km LRT)
* Truncate the Durham-Scarborough BRT to meet the EELRT at UTSC (-6km BRT), and instead re-route an EELRT branch via Ellesmere to meet STC (+6km LRT)
* Extend the Line 4 to Malvern (+4km subway)
* Build a Stouffville Line spur to STC (+2km GO)

Probably would cost $1-2B more than the current plans, but with a huge boost in connectivity in my opinion.

View attachment 477745
This would create so many awkward linear transfers I don't think it'd be worth it. I can maybe agree with terminating the LRT at Guildwood, but the DSBRT should absolutely continue to STC and not be replaced by the LRT.

As much as I agree with the vehicle speeds point - Toronto has not yet seen a proper light rail and the knock on effect of it on the built environment. Reliability is better than buses, higher passenger capacity, improved streetscape/urban realm, spurred development etc.

I do think that this project would be revolutionary for Scarborough + Malvern - especially now that disconnecting it from Line 5 actually allows it to be built slightly easier...

As much as I agree with the vehicle speeds point - Toronto has not yet seen a proper light rail

While I concur w/this, we also have a vehicle speed/commute time take from the people designing this route/project.

I'm loathe to spend that much money simply for the public realm benefits; we can invest in those, by all means w/o the LRT

I think if we're going to do higher order transit here, we need to establish that it provides a material time savings to riders and will materially boost ridership volume. I'm not entirely convinced it will do either.

Reliability is better than buses

We can shift the RapidTO lanes to the centre lanes and physically curb them just like we might for an LRT at much lesser cost if we're not building rails and a power system.

, higher passenger capacity

Have we established that the a desirable capacity couldn't be achieved through :

a) More frequent service?
b) Articulated buses?

, improved streetscape/urban realm, spurred development etc.

See above comments, I support the public realm aspects but they can be delivered independent of any higher order transit project and/or with BRT; and at much lesser cost.

I do think that this project would be revolutionary for Scarborough + Malvern - especially now that disconnecting it from Line 5 actually allows it to be built slightly easier...

I'm not really convinced that fixed rails on this route are all that revolutionary; I agree the public realm would be (cycle tracks, nicely streetscaped sidewalks and at least one lane reduction of vehicle lanes on most roads (6 to 4, or 4 to 2))

I really want to see an analysis of who we are doing this to benefit and whether ridership patterns support that.

It strikes me that the key beneficiaries appear to be UTSC, and arguably Malvern residents.

I'd like to see a comparison of:

Malvern to Line 4 only.

Malvern to UTSC via Neilson to Ellesmere and Ellesmere to UTSC. (pro argument, this serves more residents and delivers a connection to Scarborough Centenary Hospital, also a major employer)

Serving UTSC by direct subway connection from Line 4 via Centennial College campus

Serving Centennial College only, by elevated rapid transit from STC Station, using the SRT's Right-of-Way/Progress (mostly intact)
Extending same on to UTSC.

Finally, compare the cost to:

Adding an infill station to the SSE at Eglinton/McCowan (or Brimley) and having current Eglinton East bus services to UTSC terminate there instead of Kennedy.

(pro argument, probably the cheapest investment at about 300-400M; reduces the travel distance by ~1.3km, avoids at least 3 traffic lights, likely reduces travel time by 2-3M per direction. ) The negative argument being that it is still a considerable distance to UTSC and doesn't improve the balance of the trip.

Last edited:
Wow - I'm surprised to see that they've now landed on the Sheppard East LRT being part of this, rather than a possible add on! Hopefully that finally puts an end to the Sheppard East drama, and the province can focus on a subway extension to Downsview.

Back