News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 681     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 308     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It would be nice if the Star or Sun posted a list of all the issues each candidate stands for

It would be nice if the Star or Sun posted a list of all the issues each candidate stands for
Even a single paragraph or short bulleted list per each of fifty-five candidates would be many pages online and even worse in print.

For myself, I just look for the candidate that’s most likely to enrage Doug Ford and cause the most disruption in city-provincial relations. That candidate is Chow by a long shot.

The polls are giving me George Smitherman 2010 vibes. I'll believe Olivia Chow can actually win this race if she is still in a commanding lead come early June. Until then, I'm willing to bet she is leading in these polls based on mostly name recognition.
With fifty-five plus candidates in play, name recognition is 3/4 of the fight.

With fifty-five plus candidates in play, name recognition is 3/4 of the fight.
If Olivia Chow wins on mostly name recognition, good luck to her re-election prospects in 2026. She still is coming off as a poor campaigner. The majority of successful campaigns are won on good fundraising, smart strategy, the best resources, a fantastic door-to-door ground game and a solid, likeable candidate. Those who were baffled that Mark Sutcliffe won the 2022 Ottawa mayor's race should realize he had overall better numbers than Catherine McKenney across the board. In some cases, like the 2010 Toronto mayor's race, David Miller was seen as a left leaning mayor who was out of touch, thus Rob Ford's slow growing right leaning campaign was looked at as the best alternative - basically, residents had enough of the left leaning politics of David Miller. John Tory has been mostly middle of the road during his time as mayor. I can see a left leaning person, like Chow, getting elected, however, I can see a more John Tory-type, like Bailao, winning it in the end. This is a very odd mayoral campaign.

Like I said, I'll believe Chow will win it if come a few weeks from now she is still leading well in the various polls. If Josh Matlow wants to help make sure a left-leaning mayor is elected, he'll back Chow soon and if Brad Bradford and Mitzie Hunter (and John Tory, if he wants a say in who becomes the next mayor) want to make sure a middle road Liberal type mayor is elected, they back Ana Bailao. I do believe if John Tory endorses a candidate, it could be a big game changer.

The polls are giving me George Smitherman 2010 vibes. I'll believe Olivia Chow can actually win this race if she is still in a commanding lead come early June. Until then, I'm willing to bet she is leading in these polls based on mostly name recognition
Lets hope

I find them both a bit suspect as I have with polls from day one of this campaign............be that as it may......

Viewpoints has some really odd results when you look below Chow:

1683298186306.png

As compared to Main Street, this poll has

Saunders +7
Bradford + 9
Matlow -4
Bailao - 7

That's way outside of MoE type differences.

Friday, May 12 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
  • Deadline for candidates to:
    • file a nomination
    • withdraw a nomination
Thursday, June 1
  • First day election signs and campaign office signs can be erected
Thursday, June 8 to Tuesday, June 13 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Advance Vote
Monday, June 26
  • Election Day

Bradford: King Streetcar Express Zone Offers Practical Solution to Metrolinx Mess

From link.

Brad Bradford announced today the creation of the King Streetcar Express Zone, offering a practical and cost effective solution to the major inconveniences caused by the construction of Metrolinx’s Ontario Line for at least the next 5 years.

Under Metrolinx’s current plans, streetcars on Queen Street are slated to be diverted to Richmond and Adelaide streets via York and Church streets, setting the stage for a 5-year congestion nightmare. The cost to upgrade and install streetcar tracks on Adelaide and York streets is pegged at $38 million.

As an experienced urban planner, Brad Bradford has a better plan to unclog gridlock and get drivers, people on transit, and cyclists moving faster, while saving taxpayers millions of dollars.

Brad’s proposed King Streetcar Express Zone would see streetcars on Queen Street diverted to King Street via Spadina and Church, for faster, more reliable transit service. This would allow for Richmond and Adelaide streets to remain dedicated to vehicular traffic, while maintaining the protected cycling lanes to make it easier and safer for everyone to travel through downtown.

“Practical solutions that improve the flow of all transportation throughout the downtown core is how we will unclog gridlock,” said Brad Bradford. “Creating the King Streetcar Express Zone will be better for drivers, TTC riders, and cyclists.”

Toronto cannot operate on Metrolinx’s failed schedule. This is a practical solution that improves the flow of all transportation in the downtown core. It brings the kind of coordination Brad’s Congestion Relief Commissioner will bring to the job to unclog gridlock.

Less talk, more action. So you can move around the city faster.

Brad Bradford’s plan to untangle downtown gridlock with King Streetcar Express Zone

Toronto’s gridlock is a major inconvenience to residents, an economic constraint, and a public safety concern. On average, congestion cost Toronto drivers 77 lost hours in 2022, a 22% increase from 2021 (1). And studies from a decade ago estimated the cost to Toronto’s economy at $11 billion per year, an amount which would surely be higher now (2). Whether you’re in the car or on transit, you need to get where you’re going faster.

Queen Street between Bay and Victoria Streets will be shut down for at least the next five years for the Ontario Line construction, but Metrolinx’s mismanagement of the Eglinton Crosstown suggests Toronto should prepare for a much longer wait.

In the meantime, the TTC, Metrolinx and the City are currently planning to do more construction so the Queen streetcar can run on Adelaide and Richmond Streets. This means Queen Street closed, Richmond and Adelaide gridlocked with streetcars and vehicles, and King Street for streetcars only.

If implemented, this proposal will be a disaster for drivers and for transit riders, who will all be stuck in worse traffic than before with vehicles not moving. And other candidates have proposed to make this even worse by having cars and streetcars battling each other on King, as well as Richmond and Adelaide.

Too often, Toronto is told to settle for these mediocre half-measures that make life harder for everyone to get around.

Brad is proposing a common-sense plan that lets each street play to its strengths.

Brad’s plan will:
  • Divert the Queen streetcars to the enhanced King Streetcar Express Zone between Spadina Avenue and Church Street
  • Improve the King Streetcar Express Zone by providing more frequent and reliable service, fixing the platform stops that are falling apart and increasing enforcement to ensure drivers are respecting the rules
  • Keep streetcars off Richmond and Adelaide and maintain the dedicated vehicle lanes and protected cycle lane
  • Use redeployed parking enforcement officers to keep traffic moving on Richmond and Adelaide.
  • Prevent more construction chaos and save money by halting the current plan to install streetcar tracks on Adelaide Street.
20230425-streetcar-bradford__1_.jpg

Back