News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 649     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 304     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
... the Thunder Bay "name" referendum.
This is getting a little off-topic and before I was old enough to know about it, but I recall my high school history teacher saying that the Conservative-leaning riding (York-Simcoe) may have unwittingly elected a Liberal, John Roberts, in the 1968 federal election. John Robarts was then the Conservative premier of Ontario, and at the time federal election ballots listed candidates only by their names, and not a party affiliation.

This is getting a little off-topic and before I was old enough to know about it, but I recall my high school history teacher saying that the Conservative-leaning riding (York-Simcoe) may have unwittingly elected a Liberal, John Roberts, in the 1968 federal election. John Robarts was then the Conservative premier of Ontario, and at the time federal election ballots listed candidates only by their names, and not a party affiliation.
Similar to why Michael Douglas Aldo Ford Stirp changed his name to Michael Douglas Ford. Also why he won his city council seat, and why he is now a MPP. Name recognition.

Reactions: DSC
Similar to why Michael Douglas Aldo Ford Stirp changed his name to Michael Douglas Ford. Also why he won his city council seat, and why he is now a MPP. Name recognition.
The PCPO under Ford ran Mike Harris Jr. (yes, son of *that* Mike Harris) against incumbent Michael Harris (no relation, turfed former PCPO caucus member) in Kitchener-Conostoga in 2018. I'm sure it's purely coincidental that Ford decided that Jr. should run in that riding. Completely coincidental.

I had an Olivia Chow canvasser at my door (I'm in Parkdale High Park). She seemed quite polished so I imagine she was a paid canvasser, but didn't ask. Anyone have any canvassers or leaflets at their door yet?

I had an Olivia Chow canvasser at my door (I'm in Parkdale High Park). She seemed quite polished so I imagine she was a paid canvasser, but didn't ask. Anyone have any canvassers or leaflets at their door yet?

Saw a discarded Bailao leaflet at Donlands Station. The only physical evidence of an election I’ve seen.

I've seen a social-media-posted Chris Saccoccia election sign. If there's *anyone* I'd imagine illegally putting up signs early, it's him.

My current order of preference:

Matlow
Bailao
Chow

They're close together for me at this point, so we'll see how the campaign develops for me to solidify my backing of any one of them. One thing is certain however: I want a left wing mayor, and whoever is in the best position to deliver that on voting day is likely who I'll support. I'm exhausted of visionless, cheap conservatives holding Toronto back.

Chow is proposing to build a busway in Scarborough on the RT corridor and to pay for it by cancelling the East Gardiner rehabilitation et replacing it with an at-grade boulevard between Cherry St. and the DVP.

I question her financial assumptions here, absent further evidence.

I favour the boulevard option; I think the province should pay for a busway; and one should probably get done either way. Steve Munro did a piece the other day on the busway vs on-street bus plan for the SRT replacement and described staff's report/answers as misleading, and I would tend to concur.

But I still don't like what feels like stick-your-finger-in-the-air, by the seat of one's pants public policy.

Chow is proposing to build a busway in Scarborough on the RT corridor and to pay for it by cancelling the East Gardiner rehabilitation et replacing it with an at-grade boulevard between Cherry St. and the DVP.
Will be "vetoed" by Premier Doug Ford, because that would fall into his "vision" for the Greater Toronto Area.

Back