News   Mar 28, 2024
 278     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 253     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 289     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I used to rent a bike locker at downsview station. $10 a month and saved my bike.
Yes and how much lockers are there. Can I use it if I ride my bike once a week, once a month. Right, at rouge Hill they had 6 bike lockers. Nice, but they were already reserved so didn't help me or the potential hundreds of frequent and casual users.

Yes and how much lockers are there. Can I use it if I ride my bike once a week, once a month. Right, at rouge Hill they had 6 bike lockers. Nice, but they were already reserved so didn't help me or the potential hundreds of frequent and casual users.
Well that’s a whole other issue. Yes they should have more than a half dozen. At a go train station there is ample space for a good amount. But without public pressure bikers are always forgotten about.

They have contemplated major changes to Aurora GO. Both three tracks and Wellington St Grade Separation.

1676884014135.png

^Note the pocket track - the new platform will be double sided, giving a three track station platform in total.

- Paul
If this is still years away why are they still designing platforms to be curb height and with that short raised section? Sure hope the have an alternate design with level platforms or this will be a tremendous waste of money when they need to raise them shortly afterwards

If this is still years away why are they still designing platforms to be curb height and with that short raised section? Sure hope the have an alternate design with level platforms or this will be a tremendous waste of money when they need to raise them shortly afterwards

Because there are only so many balls that one can juggle at a time.

A transition of platform height is a lot of individual details to attend to. For all we know, there may be specific locations that aren’t future proofed that would require a lot of work. And that work might impede the expansion related projects. Better for any platform change project to stay out of the way until expansion is further along.

It’s enough to get RER built and electrified and so many other things sorted out. Platform heights may become mission critical some day - but for the moment, that change can wait.

- Paul

I was reviewing the Lakeshore East Corridor Expansion final EA Report and it mentioned a Danforth GO Station Connectivity Study was being completed separately. I searched Metrolinx’s website, UT, and a Google and found nothing. Was this completed, and if so, anyone have any of the documents?

It looks like station will need to be rebuilt to accommodate the fourth track and it would be great if there was a connection to the WB platform west of Main. The current platform extends west of Main but the hydro substation separates it from Stephenson Ave. A connection from Stephenson Park or Westlake would be great as part of the addition of the new track as it’s in the north side of the corridor.

1677263505662.png

Cold day but lots of work ongoing. Big year for Maple GO!

Looks like underground structural work is completed on the west platforms for access to the two tunnels.
South of the accessibility platform is closed and piles were completed this week for the start of that tunnel access work.

I was reviewing the Lakeshore East Corridor Expansion final EA Report and it mentioned a Danforth GO Station Connectivity Study was being completed separately. I searched Metrolinx’s website, UT, and a Google and found nothing. Was this completed, and if so, anyone have any of the documents?

I can't seem to dig up said study either.

Suggestion, try asking Mx for it. No harm. You can ask them in a private message on FB or tweet them etc etc.

It looks like station will need to be rebuilt to accommodate the fourth track

It will.

and it would be great if there was a connection to the WB platform west of Main. The current platform extends west of Main but the hydro substation separates it from Stephenson Ave. A connection from Stephenson Park or Westlake would be great as part of the addition of the new track as it’s in the north side of the corridor.

Agreed; except for the bolded; definitely too far west by a fair bit.

There is room in the Main Street bridge ROW, for a passageway, and/or to create stairs down from the bridge:

1677264812922.png

The equivalent space on the south side affords an access today:

1677264869210.png

View attachment 458398

Cold day but lots of work ongoing. Big year for Maple GO!

Looks like underground structural work is completed on the west platforms for access to the two tunnels.
South of the accessibility platform is closed and piles were completed this week for the start of that tunnel access work.
Shame the west entrance to the residential area was eliminated from the design. NIMBYS struck again, but more surprising Metrolinx gave in. Noticed they always listen to NIMBYS in York Region.

Shame the west entrance to the residential area was eliminated from the design. NIMBYS struck again, but more surprising Metrolinx gave in. Noticed they always listen to NIMBYS in York Region.
York Region is very politically important to both the Liberal party and the Conservative party because it has the potential to swing either way in an election.

It looks like station will need to be rebuilt to accommodate the fourth track and it would be great if there was a connection to the WB platform west of Main. The current platform extends west of Main but the hydro substation separates it from Stephenson Ave.
The plan has been to shift the station a bit further east - though I've seen about 3 or 4 different locations now, and I'm not sure where they've landed.

A connection from Stephenson Park or Westlake would be great as part of the addition of the new track as it’s in the north side of the corridor.
I don't know if it's part of the current project, but they did list that in the February 2023 GO Rail Station Access report that someone posted a link to somewhere.

1677284054298.png

Back