News   May 06, 2024
 449     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 663     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I wish they had an old school marquee like this one at the old Carlton Cinemas. That is one cool sign.

Attachments

• picoftheday_large.jpg
    picoftheday_large.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 268
Yeah, that would have been nice. It would have provided a sense of arrival.

I wish they had an old school marquee like this one at the old Carlton Cinemas. That is one cool sign.

The Odeon Carlton ("The Showplace of the Dominion") was a huge single screen theatre, demolished around 1973 or 1974.

AMC without a marquee certainly lowers the movie-going experience another notch.

It's funny how Toronto looks like a bigger more important city in some of those old photos. That marquee looks great... damn shame.

The old Odeon Carlton cinemas looked so British. I know it was an Odeon.
Odeon Theatres were operated in Canada by the Rank Organization out of the UK. They sold the chain to a small Canadian group around the mid 70's because of high taxes or something.

Last night they were putting up the Jack Astor's signage. When I was there they only had only made it as far as "STOR'S", but it looks like it's just going to be a big sign that says JACK ASTOR'S in red backlit letters. Kind of a shame, I was hoping for something a little more colourful and/or animated (or at least a different colour, to give some variation from the red Future Shop and AMC signage), but at least it'll be that much more light emanating from the building

Given Toronto Life's recent evisceration of the new ROM, I can't imagine what they must think of TLS.

On edit: Perhaps they can't find a paper bag big enough to cover the proposed sign.

I think you'll find the 'AStorS' in Jack Astors, will be a yellow colour and it will come on and off so it's say Jack As...s

I saw it again today. It does have JACK ASTOR'S in big red backlit letters, with "Bar and Grill" in smaller and more stylized white letters. About a third of the bracket is still open, so there's still room for them to put up something else as well

Yeah, I figured it out about the House Bunny ad: the expression on Anna Faris's face is like her reaction to seeing TLS in person

Back