News   May 27, 2024
 368     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 531     1 
News   May 27, 2024
 3.4K     2 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Maybe that's the best permanent location for the Sam The Record Man neon records (or a scaled replica). Kill two birds with one stone- save a local historic landmark, and prevent more bad advertising at Dundas Square at the same time.

And who exactly will be paying for that?

The Dasani sign is pretty mediocre, but I get the impression it's very temporary.

I would imagine it shouldn't be too long before we see an upgrade in the quality of ads in the square.

I'm just back from New York, and just about everything in Times Square has gone LED jumbotron-like signs now, including lots of curvy ticker boards. There is still neon there (Virgin Megastore comes quickly to mind), and even some good old fashioned flashing incandescent lights, but more and more the signs have gone LED.

Back home here, I would have liked to have seen LG's neon fixed, but after this Dasani had has come and gone, a round LED sign there would be more welcome than another front-lit or backlit ad. Let's hope that TLS's next signs have something more to give than most of the first batch, and same goes for the new Torch: wow us with your ads!

If the application was filed October 1st, how long will it take City Council to approve it? Realistically and seriously, how long will it take to see the signs installed given this new filed document?

I'm just back from New York, and just about everything in Times Square has gone LED jumbotron-like signs now, including lots of curvy ticker boards. There is still neon there (Virgin Megastore comes quickly to mind), and even some good old fashioned flashing incandescent lights, but more and more the signs have gone LED.

Back home here, I would have liked to have seen LG's neon fixed, but after this Dasani had has come and gone, a round LED sign there would be more welcome than another front-lit or backlit ad. Let's hope that TLS's next signs have something more to give than most of the first batch, and same goes for the new Torch: wow us with your ads!

I was in NYC over the weekend (my first time) and noticed the same. My favourite by far was the huge curved NASDAQ LED display.

The square was spectacular, I guess. I was a little underwhelmed tbqhwy. It gave me the same impression of tackiness as the Niagara Falls strip. I guess I was expecting a different kind of tackiness. It felt more like a theme park than part of the city. I guess that's a positive thing for some, but it just didn't strike me as a place I'd want to hang around for more than 20 seconds.

It could have been the scale. Everything there felt larger than life, whereas places like Piccadilly Circus and Dundas Square are built at a more human scale (I don't know if that makes sense to anyone). I almost felt like I was indoors the whole time, if you can imagine that.

Also, the architecture that was visible behind, between, and above the signage was pretty bleak. Better than TLS, but still dismal slabs. Not good for people who are drawn to negative spaces in architecture.

I remember reading not long ago that it is illegal to have a 3 dimensional billboard ad in Toronto. A lot of places still do it, but the Adbusters crowd (my second post in a row complaining about them) has an organization that keeps an eye on these things and complains when they see them. This could have something to do with the lack on interesting billboards around.

You are correct! I know the dude :)

www.illegalsigns.ca

I suppose that is one of the down sides of having a strong left wing (anti corporate?) group (or groups) in this city. We tend to run into things like this, which I'm sure are doing great things but they stand in the way of things like getting better signs on Dundas Square.

So what's the logic behind banning 3D signs. There's always going to be signs so why not make them interesting.

well, let me make a reasonable comparison for you: suppose a person tags graffiti. the law states that it is not allowed. people complain, and that graffiti is removed. similar scenario. so the logic in fact, is the law.

I suppose that is one of the down sides of having a strong left wing (anti corporate?) group (or groups) in this city. We tend to run into things like this, which I'm sure are doing great things but they stand in the way of things like getting better signs on Dundas Square.

:) Exactly. Except they are not anti-corporate, they just fight to keep the Canadian law system accountable to big or small corporations, which have grown accustomed to decreased regulation. They would be more than happy to challenge even a small business that puts up an illegal sign.

I really don't know about this 3D advertising ban. There are almost always 3D billboards along the Gardiner for airlines.

Back