Oakville Distrikt Station | 184.8m | 58s | Distrikt Development | BDP Quadrangle

New OPA into the Town. Looks like further land assembly has occurred, and heights have jumped to 44, 49, and 58 storeys.

Oakville Argus Cross LP - 217 to 227 Cross Avenue and 571 to 595 Argus Road - OPA 1614.78, Z.1614.78 and 24T-22005/1614

90F58530-92B4-4891-9E0B-72EAB9A6D08E.jpeg

The draft revisions to the Midtown Oakville Secondary Plan for this area remove all height limits, so I'm not surprised at the height here. This rivals the heights of VMC, and would make it by far the tallest building in Ontario west of Mississauga.

Tallest here is 185 metres.

Also, this is interestingly proposing a residential parking ratio of just 0.5 spaces per unit. Very, very low for Halton Region.

The draft revisions to the Midtown Oakville Secondary Plan for this area remove all height limits, so I'm not surprised at the height here. This rivals the heights of VMC, and would make it by far the tallest building in Ontario west of Mississauga.

Tallest here is 185 metres.
I did not realize that Oakville was removing height limits. If Oakville wants to “protect” its single family areas it holds so dear, I guess it needs to allow major density in certain areas, like near transit.

I did not realize that Oakville was removing height limits. If Oakville wants to “protect” its single family areas it holds so dear, I guess it needs to allow major density in certain areas, like near transit.
It's not council approved yet so lots of room for things to go another way still.

I should say that there is a height maximum of 255 metres (ha!), but the main limiter of the secondary plan is supposed to be FSI, which is capped at 10x land area.

All in all a huge increase over existing permissions, and a massive change for how Oakville typically operates.

Hmmm. I certainly favour density here.

I'm not sure I like the way this is massed/laid out though; and I think the max. height may have issues where precedent is considered.

On the subject of NIMBYs and such.....this one will cast one huge shadow at times (from their studies)

1655216029914.png

Green is the net new shadow created by this proposal, the grey is existing or approved shadow.

Shadowing up the highway is no real issue (depending, however, on what is proposed between this development and the highway).....

But I must admit, if this were to become the area precedent, it might well affect the viability of intensification to the north of the highway. It's worth considering.

It's not as if there isn't ample room here to offer shorter hirise and mid-rise in concert.

With precedent here, one wants to keep any eye on Oakville Place Mall, which I expect may well be coming into play.

A summary of the development stats from the Urban Design Brief:

1655216489550.png

From the Planning Report:

1655216671882.png

1655216700754.png

Attachments

• 1655216545832.png
    1655216545832.png
    334.5 KB · Views: 53
I never thought I would see a 58 storey building proposed for Oakville of all places. Wow.
...they should name it the Burj Oakville, since nothing likely reaches above 10 stories around there it might be the city's Khalifa. 😼

...they should name it the Burj Oakville, since nothing likely reaches above 10 stories around there it might be the city's Khalifa. 😼

Well yeah - that's just obscenely tall for a small city of what, 200,000 people? Way out of proportion.

Oakville has two towers from the 1980‘s(?) near town hall and Sheridan College which are close to 30 storeys and two 30 storey towers are to be built at Trafalgar and Postridge as well as the northwest side of Dundas and Trafalgar. The southwest side of Dundas and Trafalgar has a recently completely 24(?) storey building. There are also buildings in the 20 storey range near Kerr Street and 16 Mile Creek and near the downtown.

Coming from the area, I would say this proposal is going to catch a lot of people off guard. the sheer size of the proposal will draw a lot of comment. A couple of,things work in its favour. The parking ratio is pretty unique. Not sure it’s realistic, but unique. And as traffic considerations are a concern in this general area, including the other proposed developments, they can certainly gather some points there. Being on the north side of the rail line also injects a physical separation from the older neighbourhoods on the southern sides of the tracks ( and generally more easterly due to the bend the river takes), which shadow effect aside, may also work in their favour. I also believe that Burlington also has no maximum height for developments on the north side of Fairview near the GO station. This caused some raised eyebrows when it became known….and I guess where city’s lead, towns should follow? And also, what is wrong with good 10 story developments?

Back