Oakville Distrikt Station | 184.8m | 58s | Distrikt Development | BDP Quadrangle

Talk about land use efficiency: think of how many people will be living on a plot of land for many years only had six commercial units which were often unoccupied. If I am not mistaken, the units in the white building were often empty as were the rotating fast food locations. I often get furious when I think of the 1000s of empty carparks and random patches of grass along roads in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton area amidst the housing crisis.

I just noticed the development sign up.
If you look closely, the highlighted area doesn't include the cleared plot of land, which is where Taco Bell was located.
PXL_20220711_214409411.jpg

I just noticed the development sign up.
If you look closely, the highlighted area doesn't include the cleared plot of land, which is where Taco Bell was located.View attachment 413162
Good find! The adjacent Taco Bell land, and the former Gears bike store (which is being demolished now) on the other side of Trafalgar will be used for the Cross Ave realignment and road network changes.

Not being familiar with Oakville’s history of development or approvals, what are the chances of this going ahead as planned, or is there expected nimbyism to come out and try to reduce the height?

This might be the single largest jump in height for an Ontario city, from the tallest building in Oakville currently about 25 floors 70ish metres to 185m! Wow

Not being familiar with Oakville’s history of development or approvals, what are the chances of this going ahead as planned, or is there expected nimbyism to come out and try to reduce the height?

This might be the single largest jump in height for an Ontario city, from the tallest building in Oakville currently about 25 floors 70ish metres to 185m! Wow
Midtown Oakville has had no shortage of developments proposed for the area over the past 10 years. None have really taken off. Smaller-scale developers proposed most of them. With housing pressures, Halton Region calling for a "no outward growth" plan in its MCR, and resistance to density in established neighbourhoods, this is a logical place to accommodate Oakville's mandated growth. I suspect that Distrikt will cut a few floors off for final approval, but eventually I think we will see a very tall tower on this site. Distrikt also has a history of getting projects approved in Oakville, so I am more optimistic for this one than others in the past.

The draft revisions to the Midtown Oakville Growth Area (secondary plan) also remove height limits - so it will be challenging for council to fight this one provided that the secondary plan gets adopted.

Oakville largely seems to be trying to replicate VMC with this one, which also underwent a massive jump in maximum building height like Oakville will here, going from IIRC 17 storeys at Bellaria to 37 storeys at Expo City in 2015 to 50 storey at Transit City in 2020.

Pickering will also take a similar jump - it's going from 18 storeys at SF2 to 25 storeys at SF3, completed in 2019, to 54 storeys at Universal City.

Why does Oakville want to rebuild the parking structure? It's weird to have that included in the render.

Back