Toronto 415 Yonge | 231m | 66s | Marwest | Kirkor Architects

Welp...I mean it could be worse. Those fin arrangements need to be fleshed out more, IMO...currently they reminds me of something that's gone moldy as they are.

This is some uninspired garbage that no amount of curtain wall or fin expressionism can save.

They shouldn't've bothered with renders as it is clear they had no idea what they were trying to produce.
Sorry to start a Ruckus people! But if this building was going to be built in New York or Chicago no one would really make a stink over it. But in Toronto it's X out ! They like to see all transparent glass facades with an overkill of balconies! If this facade isn't good enough for a condo because of its narrow rectangular windows. Then it would definitely look great as a supertall office tower in this city!

Sorry to start a Ruckus people! But if this building was going to be built in New York or Chicago no one would really make a stink over it.

Have you read the threads on NYC projects over at SSP or any other similar outfit?

I think you will find there are more critics than you are aware of.........

They like to see all transparent glass facades with an overkill of balconies!

Really, come' on now.

UT'ers often have animated conversations on the over-use of glass, drab colour or balconies over-used as architectural features in lieu of other thoughtful design gestures.

It's ok that you like it, and other people don't.

You are a bit prone to liking projects just because they are tall..........

Which is fine..........it's not where many others are at........

That's fine too.

It's possible to engage in respectful disagreement.

If this facade isn't good enough for a condo..................

It's not....

Yes, we've seen worse built, no, that's not a good reason to build another.

because of its narrow rectangular windows

That is not really the principal issue.

The windows (on the tower) aren't a particularly redeeming feature.....

But neither are they driving most of the derision.

. Then it would definitely look great as a supertall office tower in this city!

Really, it wouldn't. (in my opinion anyway)

But beyond that, the developer just cut the amount of office space; so that's clearly not what they are interested in building here.

Also, if it were an office, the ceiling heights, among a host of other things would be different, and as such the design would have to be re-worked to make it an office tower; it neither would nor could look the same.

Am I the only one who thought the original render looked decent? I liked the massing and shape and curtain wall is always a plus in my books.

Anyways I honestly think this could turn out good, or a disaster with no inbetween as it currently stands.
No, you weren't the only one...

...but like most everything else proposed here, I don't get my hopes up when the first renders show a lot of weird angles and shapes in the spectacle. As in the second round of renders that will most likely have the proposal all squared off like. And this one isn't really any different to that trend.

Devs don't usually like putting their money where their renders are. /sigh

Developers in Vancouver have upped their game so much and then there is Toronto. look at this new proposal by BOSA properties, designed by Heatherwick. puts Toronto to shame. is it really that hard to be creative?
fZ0H7R.jpg

oyGGVH.jpg

os64ky.jpg

LuyPnY.jpg

Wow!! That's is so beautiful and unique in some cases! These buildings looks like they landed here from another planet or Atlantis under the sea ! As seen in the photos up above!

Developers in Vancouver have upped their game so much and then there is Toronto. look at this new proposal by BOSA properties, designed by Heatherwick. puts Toronto to shame. is it really that hard to be creative?
fZ0H7R.jpg

oyGGVH.jpg

os64ky.jpg

LuyPnY.jpg

As I said, it's mostly about what developers are willing to throw what kind of money at it.

...and since your examples appear to be renderings in concept, this too has a danger of all being squared off when the shovels finally hit the ground with this proposal.

fZ0H7R.jpg

oyGGVH.jpg

os64ky.jpg

LuyPnY.jpg

A developer/designer who isn't willing to pay for mere competence isn't going to pay for big bucks, over the top exuberance (and it is arguable as to whether such level of exuberance is appropriate - especially in this particular context - in the first place).

AoD

Last edited:

When it comes to architecture/design, Toronto is an extremely conservative city; moreso than any place I've ever been. I sometimes forget as I've been here 20 years now but the dominant aesthetic has always been stripped down bare bones functional, staid, muted colours (grey/beige/washed out greens/blues), concrete over stone, with a strong aversion to anything that hints at luxury, ornamentation, or non-conformity. When something is proposed that breaks with those rigid design parameters the old guard ALWAYS weigh in aggressively with their condemnation.

I've often wondered why Toronto is like that but I guess its the by-product of being a blue collar industrial city up until very recently. Design is viewed as frivolous and often gets ridiculed as excessive. A lot of the time they just don't understand design, period. If I can make a car analogy. Toronto loves a Volvo but a Maserati is vulgar. The latter is TOO flashy/too exciting. We even had a City official criticize that E-Sports proposal for being 'too exciting' for Toronto. It's one of the things about Toronto I'll never wrap my head around.

That Vancouver proposal? They'd go mental if they built something like that here.

Last edited:
When it comes to architecture/design, Toronto is an extremely conservative city; moreso than any place I've ever been. I sometimes forget as I've been here 20 years now but the dominant aesthetic has always been stripped down bare bones functional, staid, muted colours (grey/beige/washed out greens/blues), concrete over stone, with a strong aversion to anything that hints at luxury, ornamentation, or non-conformity. When something is proposed that breaks with those rigid design parameters the old guard ALWAYS weigh in aggressively with their condemnation.

I've often wondered why Toronto is like that but I guess its the by-product of being a blue collar industrial city up until very recently. Design is viewed as frivolous and often gets ridiculed as excessive. A lot of the time they just don't understand design, period. If I can make a car analogy. Toronto loves a Volvo but a Maserati is vulgar. The latter is TOO flashy/too exciting. We even had a City official criticize that E-Sports proposal for being 'too exciting' for Toronto. It's one of the things about Toronto I'll never wrap my head around.

That Vancouver proposal? They'd go mental if they built something like that here.

I have been told that Toronto is an extremely cheap city (someone else's word: it's the cheapest city in the world) - being conservative in design parameters (because of how it will look) is one thing - choosing not to because how much doing extra will cost vs doing the bare minimum is another.

And I am not sure if it's fair to use a Volvo vs Maserati comparison - the former is at least design competent (if boring).

AoD

Last edited:
I have been told that Toronto is an extremely cheap city (someone else's word: it's the cheapest city in the world) - being conservative in design parameters (because of how it will look) is one thing - choosing not to because how much doing extra will cost vs doing the bare minimum is another.

And I am not sure if it's fair to uses a Volvo vs Maserati comparison - the former is at least design competent (if boring).

AoD
Too, I am wary of over-baked generalizations about the nature of this city and its alleged propensity for certain aesthetics.

Too, I am wary of over-baked generalizations about the nature of this city and its alleged propensity for certain aesthetics.

There is no doubt some of that - Toronto is design conservative (think the draining of colour from say The Hub - by a firm renowed for using colour); but how much of it is preference for a restrained aesthetic, and how much of it is simply not wanting to pay for it?

AoD

Back