News   May 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 610     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

You know how you find places with the most spread? You look for where all the infections are happening currently.

By the time you have evidence of community spread it is too late to do much. The cats out of the bag and the virus is spreading.

An ounce of prevention goes a long way. I'd rather act preventative and see no evidence of spread than do nothing and wait for the numbers to show we have a problem.

Are you guys being intentionally silly ..., we been dealing with this for 6 months.

You guys are acting like we just starting dealing with this yesterday.

We tried banning stuff that now sounds really silly like parks or going camping.

We very well know the main vectors of spread is private gatherings and bars and restaurants.

Shutting down everything out of panic will not allow us to deal with this long term. Like do you not realize the public is not compliant as much as in April.

Last edited:
We very well know the main vectors of spread is private gatherings and bars and restaurants.

You weren't willing to consider closing bars and restaurant a few short weeks ago, despite what the science told us.

I dont think there is any evidence of that... all of the lockdowns pushed forward by experts have no end date. We are looking at on and off again lockdowns till a vaccine regardless.

It's not "evidence", it's mathematics. The longer you wait, the larger the number of cases already baked in, and the longer it will take for any lockdown and rollback to achieve the same level of effect. That's basic stuff - you want more lockdown and stage 2 time? Go right ahead and don't listen.

China wielded people in their homes and I dont think we can do.

Of course we can do; have you seen how severe the restrictions were in the state of Victoria and Melbourne? Another free country/province (state) very similar to ours, you know.

What restrictions we had was pathetic - pathetic in scope, pathetic in execution, and pathetic in communication. Their government knew what they had to do to get back to a modicum of normalcy. Ours? Faking it. Recall the triumphant "we are flattening the curve" baldface before the L2 announcement a few short days later? Stuff of legends. It's like GWB's "Mission Accomplished" in Iraq. Ours took almost a week to figure out whether you can have Thanksgiving with extended family and friends, FFS.

Oh and the whole "but they don't have a border with so and so" is a red herring - they have restricted entry with mandatory quarantine, just like we do. It isn't like you can just casually go across the land border for the last 6 months. Also, an absolute minority of our cases is travel-related - not the pattern you would expect if you have travel being the predominant avenue of spread.

AoD

Last edited:
You weren't willing to consider closing bars and restaurant a few short weeks ago, despite what the science told us.

It's not "evidence", it's mathematics. The longer you wait, the larger the number of cases already baked in, and the longer it will take for any lockdown and rollback to achieve the same level of effect. That's basic stuff - you want more lockdown and stage 2 time? Go right ahead and don't listen.

Of course we can do; have you seen how severe the restrictions were in the state of Victoria and Melbourne? Another free country/province (state) very similar to ours, you know.

What restrictions we had was pathetic - pathetic in scope, pathetic in execution, and pathetic in communication. Their government knew what they had to do to get back to a modicum of normalcy. Ours? Faking it. Recall the triumphant "we are flattening the curve" baldface before the L2 announcement a few short days later? Stuff of legends. It's like GWB's "Mission Accomplished" in Iraq. Ours took almost a week to figure out whether you can have Thanksgiving with extended family and friends, FFS.

Oh and the whole "but they don't have a border with so and so" is a red herring - they have restricted entry with mandatory quarantine, just like we do. It isn't like you can just casually go across the land border for the last 6 months. Also, an absolute minority of our cases is travel-related - not the pattern you would expect if you have travel being the predominant avenue of spread.

AoD

We dont have a mandatory quarantine. It is the rule but it is not actively enforced well and in Australia people are locked up in a hotel room.

Also Canadians are actually allowed to fly into America with no real issue actually.

People dont want a curfew or be locked in your homes here in Canada as there is no public support for that outside of doomers online.

The lockdown in Australia is cause there is no widespread community spread in Australia as it is an island.
We are not in that stage and even with harsh lockdown for months, we will have cases coming from travel and from the USA forcing us into non-stop lockdowns of Toronto and our major cities over a few cases. It would be an unsustainable situation for the country.

So the Australian model is not a valid model for Canada at all.

plus Canadians are not as supportive of harsh measures.

Why dont you guys understand that?

Last edited:
Perhaps you are the one that is not understanding things?

No medical expert in Canada is advocating for a curfew and forcing people inside their house.

So maybe you dont understand.

People are not scared of Corona anymore and we need solutions that work long term.

There will be cases and there will be deaths and the goal for Canada is to keep the health system from being overwhelmed and that can be prevented from stoping main avenues of spread. For our hospitals to get overwhelmed we need millions of infections as we saw in NYC and North Italy.

Last edited:
No medical expert in Canada is advocating for a curfew and forcing people inside their house.

So maybe you dont understand.

People are not scared of Corona anymore and we need solutions that work long term.

There will be cases and there will be deaths and the goal for Canada is to keep the health system from being overwhelmed and that can be prevented from stoping main avenues of spread.

You like to talk the talk, but when it comes to "solutions that work long term", you came up with a blank or something utterly useless (like those weaksauce window dressing restrictions you rambled out (restaurant dining - but only for pairs or the same family) before the province reluctantly reimposed Phase II. So, in summary - you don't want to go with eradication because you don't want to feel the pain of short-term but serious restrictions; you don't want Phase II because even that is too restrictive - and argued for not implementing it until it is too late; and you want the freedom of the States but nebulously want to "protect the hospitals" - however you plan to do that without limiting spread in the community (you have not put forward any credible plans). Well you reap what you sow. Enjoy the second wave.

AoD

Last edited:

Lol i was talking about keeping people locked up at home and you bring a survey about bars and clubs lol...that is not support of harsh lockdowns. Rather disingenuous

I think mostly everyone realizes bars and such needed to close eventually as it makes sense logically if cases are going up.

The issue is you guys are now looking to keeping everyone at home or even curfews and even closing all retail and I would imagine public support for that is not there for that.

Like here is a real survey, do you want to be banned from leaving your house at 7pm?
Do you want to have roadblocks in the city asking why you are over 5km away from your house.
Do you want to be banned from seeing your bf and gf.

Last edited:
The issue is you guys is now looking for keeping everyone at home by force now.

If people cannot leave their house, they cannot spread the virus to the general population. Put people in groups, mingling with others in mall and watch what happens.

Lol i was talking about keeping people locked up at home and you bring a survey about bars and clubs lol...that is not support of harsh lockdowns.

I think mostly everyone realizes bars and such needed to close eventually as it makes sense logically if cases are going up.

The issue is you guys are now looking to keeping everyone at home or even curfews and even closing all retail and I would imagine public support for that is not there for that.
You really need to stop with the "you guys want" generalizations. I have never called for curfews or locking people in their houses. You like to change the goalposts just for the sake of continuing an argument and coming up with yet another opportunity to accuse people of being reddit doomers and other ridiculous epithets.

You really need to stop with the "you guys want" generalizations. I have never called for curfews or locking people in their houses. You like to change the goalposts just for the sake of continuing an argument and coming up with yet another opportunity to accuse people of being reddit doomers and other ridiculous epithets.

Lol I said harsh lockdowns and you gave a survey about restaurants.

Are you not debating in bad faith as well?

Lol I said harsh lockdowns and you gave a survey about restaurants.

Are you not debating in bad faith as well?
It's hard to keep up as you continually edit your posts so that you can backtrack and pivot. The survey spoke to non-essential businesses, not just restaurants, the closing and/or restricting of which could well be termed a harsh measure. And you said measures, not lockdowns. So no, not bad faith at all.

Numbers for today:

An increase of 746
31233 tests completed yesterday,
with 24420 pending.

Note the dropoff in testing level which may be indicative of an artificially low number of positive cases.

Hospitalizations: 230 (+27)
ICU: 60 (+7)
Ventilators: 34 (+4)

Numbers for today:

An increase of 746
31233 tests completed yesterday,
with 24420 pending.

Note the dropoff in testing level which may be indicative of an artificially low number of positive cases.

Hospitalizations: 230 (+27)
ICU: 60 (+7)
Ventilators: 34 (+4)

Where did you find those? The Ont. Govt. page at https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data still hasn't been updated.

Back