Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

If I had more time (and maybe I'll get to this), I would try to use Google Maps' satellite view to map out the lines on the track plan images that were released this week. The challenge is that the satellite view hasn't been updated in several months or years so it doesn't show the current view of Garrison Crossing/Ordinance Park. Any one know of a more updated satellite view than Google's? Anyone have an interest in doing this? :D

Anybody have connections with the Russians?

It's going to be tough to find room on the sidewalks for station entrances at Queen and Spadina and King and Bathurst, especially with accessibility requirements.

The extension of the Railpath to Strachan depends on that street being built, so the station also blocks the Railpath extension.

I really dont think thats true.

While the railpath extension may be combined into this street project, its not like from an engineering perspective that a railpath demands a street to exist.

There very well could be room for just a railpath adjacent to the Ontario Line tracks, and not a street.

However not only is space from a technical standpoint a requirment, it would have to be a commitment from the Ontario Line construction that it be built, or a provision for allowing the city to proceed as a different tender.

If I had more time (and maybe I'll get to this), I would try to use Google Maps' satellite view to map out the lines on the track plan images that were released this week. The challenge is that the satellite view hasn't been updated in several months or years so it doesn't show the current view of Garrison Crossing/Ordinance Park. Any one know of a more updated satellite view than Google's? Anyone have an interest in doing this? :D
Google Earth has great May 12, 2020 imagery for downtown Toronto.

1600461367055.png

Let's also not forget that Metrolinx already has an expansion plan for Exhibition GO from 2018 that is more or less ready to go.

This design allocates space for an additional north-side track for "future use", but there probably isn't enough space for that, two OL tracks, an OL platform, and "Liberty New Street".... not unless the city & province are willing to partly demolish 1 Atlantic Avenue. (It's not a heritage property, and it's hardly irreplacable, so that's not out of the question, IMO.)

1600462586544.png

1600462563914.png

View attachment 270228
Just a thought, it looks like the new Liberty Village street would be impossible to fit anymore unless the station is elevated high above the street.

The latest Metrolinx blog post said the line would be at-grade along the GO corridor to Exhibition
(which is actually below the streets to the north)

It also said that Ordnance Park would be required for tunnelling - ie the TBM launch pit.

5egCwm0.png

^ So would the space here between the heavy rail tracks/trains be similar to that of the CP Rail line beside the subway tracks near Kipling Station? @crs1026

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 12.12.41 AM.png

It'll be interesting to see how it all squeezes in.
The OL Exchibition Station is supposed to be on the lot just below the Joe Fresh Head Office, so that'll make use of the new GO underpasses, but the entrances will have to be shifted to the north to clear the westbound OL track.

The odd think about the Exhibition Station diagram is that it is shown with outside platforms.
Normally terminus stations - even temporary ones - have centre platforms so passengers can load to either track.
I suppose they could just always use the north platform for incoming and outgoing trains which would provide easier access from Liberty Village (no need to use the underpass) since people from The Ex will always have to use the underpass anyways to walk under the GO tracks. But once the frequency get higher, they'll need to use the tail track to reverse and use both platforms.

Locations of Exhibition Station, ....
View attachment 270043
Let's also not forget that Metrolinx already has an expansion plan for Exhibition GO from 2018 that is more or less ready to go.

This design allocates space for an additional north-side track for "future use", but there probably isn't enough space for that, two OL tracks, an OL platform, and "Liberty New Street".... not unless the city & province are willing to partly demolish 1 Atlantic Avenue. (It's not a heritage property, and it's hardly irreplacable, so that's not out of the question, IMO.)

View attachment 270332
View attachment 270331

Last edited:
^ So would the space here between the heavy rail tracks/trains be similar to that of the CP Rail line beside the subway tracks near Kipling Station? @crs1026

Nice -
I would think so.
You can also look to the REM around Griffintown where it'll be on a viaduct next to heavy rail trains for an idea
of the amount of land required for track and station.

image.thumb.png.206db7132f24b6cdb8a59faad25e13c9.png

Likewise, Moody Centre Station in Port Moody which has a SkyTrain station next to West Coast Express commuter rail platform.

5X7vgcc.png

Last edited:
Is it written in "stone" that platform screen doors will be installed on the Ontario Line?

The Montréal REM line has it so...

Safe and reliable technology

The REM technology is fully automated, 100% electric light rail. Trains are driverless, directed by a control centre that ensures proper functioning of equipment at all times. The platforms will be protected by screen doors that only open after the train has arrived; users cannot cross the tracks or drop objects onto them. This type of automated system is one of the safest and most reliable in the world.

Or will the penny-pinchers non-transit using politicians say "NO!"?

Last edited:
Is it written in "stone" that platform screen doors will be installed on the Ontario Line?

The Montréal REM line has it so...

Or will the penny-pinchers non-transit using politicians say "NO!"?

Back