268     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 248     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 287     0 

Cybersecurity Issues

And another:

AoD

I don't have an inherent problem with the strategic use of facial recognition software by police.

I have problem with its ineffective, arbitrary or capricious use.

The issue here, to me, is that there has been little to no police transparency on how this tech is being used. This leaves one wondering on the scale of its use, the effectiveness of its use, the purpose of its use, the effectiveness/accuracy of its use and the cost of its use.

Police must learn to be transparent, this applies to so many facets of their operation.

I don't have an inherent problem with the strategic use of facial recognition software by police.

I have problem with its ineffective, arbitrary or capricious use.

The issue here, to me, is that there has been little to no police transparency on how this tech is being used. This leaves one wondering on the scale of its use, the effectiveness of its use, the purpose of its use, the effectiveness/accuracy of its use and the cost of its use.

Police must learn to be transparent, this applies to so many facets of their operation.

There are two issues - one is use of this (foreign) technology by police/state security - which comes with issues around transparency but is otherwise arguably legitimate. The bigger issue to me is the collection of data - ostensibly in the public domain but was never intended for collection and usage for facial recognition purposes by an organization not answerable to our laws, and doing so with questionable motives and rendering services to other parties unknown.

AoD

Last edited:
So apparently it wasn't just the RMC :rolleyes:

Seriously.

AoD

It was a hack of the Canadian Defence Academy. That's the parent organization of all military academics including the Staff College in Toronto. And they have a less secure academic network that is available to only them.

It was a hack of the Canadian Defence Academy. That's the parent organization of all military academics including the Staff College in Toronto. And they have a less secure academic network that is available to only them.

That's no less serious - it may not be housing top-secret materials, but it doesn't have to for it to be a risk (weak link in a chain).

AoD

That's no less serious - it may not be housing top-secret materials, but it doesn't have to for it to be a risk (weak link in a chain).

AoD

It's closer to a standard university network. Yes, it's serious. But it's also not a corporate breach that gives away operational information. But it is being investigated and they will bolster security. One of the challenges with all this is flexibility and speed. The tighter the network, the slower it runs, the less remote working can be facilitated and the fewer sites we can ask. It's the reason CDA doesn't operate on the main corporate network.

CRA shuts down online services after thousands of accounts breached in cyberattacks

Aug 15, 2020

The Canada Revenue Agency has temporarily shut down its online services after the agency confirmed it was recently hit by two cyberattacks that compromised thousands of accounts linked to its services.

While the breaches have been contained, services connected to My Account, My Business Account and Represent a Client on the CRA website have been disabled as an additional safety measure.

The shutdown means that anyone attempting to apply for emergency COVID-19 benefits, such as the Canada Emergency Response Benefit or the Canada Emergency Student Benefit, will be unable to do so until further notice.

The agency said Saturday that as of Aug. 14, about 5,500 accounts had been affected by the separate attacks.

"The CRA quickly identified the impacted accounts and disabled access to these accounts to ensure the safety and security of the taxpayer's information," CRA spokesperson Christopher Doody wrote in an email. "The CRA is continuing to analyze both incidents. Law enforcement assistance has been requested from RCMP and an investigation has been initiated."

Back