News   May 16, 2024
 263     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.9K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

There is no sign that asking people to voluntarily comply with a 14 day self-quarantine have an above 1 out of 10 failure rate. Most Canadians are reasonable people. And threatening to police people when they know you won't do so is a recipe for failure (like speeding).

AoD.

You stated a bunch of assumptions as facts...

Firstly the federal govt is not telling people at airports to do a 14-day self-isolation. You are having 13 different health agencies with dozens of cities giving all kinds of different advice about this.

As I just linked why would the City of Montreal send its own health workers to the airport to tell people that then ?

Last edited:
You stated a bunch of assumptions as facts

We are not living in a hellscape of mass murder and mayhem,. I think the assumption most people are reasonable therefore speaks for itself. And speaking of assumption:

Like i dont know what the stats are but getting 9 out of ten 10 people to comply would be a huge victory.

AoD

I thought that before, not based on how people been acting since Wednesday around me lol

I was reasonable until I volunteered to remain at work 24-7 on call until this is resolved. I work as both the Assistant Supervisor and the longest tenured employee in the condominium where I work so I am the most qualified person to stay on site.

I don't have the luxury of working from home but we still need a skeleton staff. I bit the bullet and volunteered to stay as a result.

I have, admittedly, not studied it in depth, but I see nothing in the Emergencies Act (successor to the War Measures Act) that suspends the Charter. By invoking the Act the government can do things like restrict travel to/in certain areas, and The Quarantine Act has certain powers, but I see nothing that would empower mass and arbitrary detention for, say, simply walking down the street. I await to be proven wrong.

As I recollect; the act is phrased such that Charter guarantees around non-discrimination are preserved. Any violation of the Charter is subject to the Reasonable Limits Clause.

ie. violations that can be justified in a free and democratic society.

I expect many such limitations can be; but not without some reasonable limits, as it should be.

When Mad Max becomes a reality it is too late to do anything...

That's why social cohesion matters - and that's why I am more worried about US than Canada. We may argue and bitch at one another, but when push comes to shove, violence isn't our preferred solution. We by and large will still be nice, cover for our neighbours even if we don't know them, etc.

AoD

That's why social cohesion matters - and that's why I am more worried about US than Canada. We may argue and bitch at one another, but when push comes to shove, violence isn't our preferred solution.

AoD

I'm expecting another Waco incident sometime relatively soon resulting from this pandemic.

The 2nd amendment is what it is but I can see some heavily armed Americans panicking and starting to kill people in the name of protecting themselves and their property.

Look i dont think any of us will change our minds.

Some are happy with the federal govt passive response on the borders and others want to shut the whole thing down right away.

Sort of hard to reconcile such a difference in opinion.

Look i dont think any of us will change our minds.

Some are happy with the federal govt passive response on the borders and others want to shut the whole thing down right away.

Sort of hard to reconcile such a difference in opinion.

At our level, who cares? We are not tasked to provide the perfect solution - which does not exist. What we need to do is do our part - and that mean staying put as much as we can, help out others in need when we can and not put others and yourself at risk. Like donate to a food bank, watch for your neigbhour's back, share resources when someone else is in need when you are in a position to help. That's all that matters as a citizen.

AoD

Last edited:
I think the answer to that is clear from previous posts. All these internet virologists hang wringing about what the government is not doing is hilarious.

Well yeah, i am a nobody and that 100% includes everyone on here as well but when the Premier of Quebec (who seems the be most competent Premier on Convid 19 so far) says rather openly saying he is not happy with the border controls, that gives some pause whether the govt is doing enough.

When the CBC and journalists asked federal ministers and they had no real response to why there seems to be hardly any screening at airports that gives...pause...

Last edited:

Back