News   May 15, 2024
 84     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 2K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

That account is rather dubious - like this recent tweet:

The image is actually of Vietnamese boat people. Some diligence would have prevented the recirculation of clearly inaccurate information of questionable intent.

AoD
Which is why I said that sources are unverified as a pre-disclaimer.

Secondly, the twitter post does say it’s from 1975- I think the intent was to draw a comparison, not claim an event that occurred otherwise.

Which is why I said that sources are unverified as a pre-disclaimer.

Secondly, the twitter post does say it’s from 1975- I think the intent was to draw a comparison, not claim an event that occurred otherwise.

I don't think a source that circulates clearly and deliberately false information (e.g. airborne transmission vs. droplet transmission) is worthy of amplification - disclaimer or otherwise.

AoD

Last edited:
Two suspects walked into a Walmart with a sign saying “I have the coronavirus,” then proceeded to spray a then-unknown substance on thousands of dollars’ worth of food and merchandise, according to police in Joliet, Ill.

The incident happened on the afternoon of Sunday, Feb. 2 at a Walmart, according to a news release from Joliet police.

The suspects destroyed US$7,300 worth of produce and Walmart spent over $2,400 to clean up the mess, police said. The substance in the spray was later identified as Lysol, a common aerosol disinfectant.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6520490/coronavirus-prank-walmart/

I was so annoyed with how Trudeau handled the recent swine issue with China. China had banned Canadian pork because of a fraudulent claim of finding ractopamine in a recent shipment. But now that China is suffering a massive swine flu and kill off they need Canadian pork, so they lift the ban. This, this was Trudeau's chance to tell the Chinese, we're not issuing any CFIA export certificates for pork to China until you release the Michaels. The Canadian pork growers had already reduced their stocks since the ban's enforcement. These f#ckers only understand leverage, and they're bemused and befuddled that we don't.
Trudeau has nice hair and now a nice beard. If we wanted a competent government to help Canadian interests, the past 2 elections have gone differently. Trudeau is performing as expected so why get upset.

I'm a globalist, and have been working in international trade since graduation in 1995. I have been selling to China since 1997 and first visited the Hofex show in 2001 and have visited China for business many times, including joining PM Martin on the Team Canada Trade Mission in 2005 to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. All that aside, I think the world can and may come to a post-China or even pre-China realization that the global economy can run without this hyper reliance on China for our cheap labour and GHG emission offsets. SEA, the subcontinent and Africa can offer the west the same cheap labour and lax environmental rules our corporations and consumers desire. We don't need to rely on China.

Africa will be the new China

In terms of trade only, I wonder if shifting focus to Africa won't simply be shifting to Chinese-branchplant economies. They have been putting much effort into adding the continent to their 'sphere of influence'.

'People are staying home': Canada Goose slashes outlook as coronavirus hits China business

Alicja Siekierska
Yahoo Finance Canada February 7, 2020

Canada Goose has slashed its 2020 financial outlook due to the coronavirus outbreak, which has brought the company’s recently expanded business in China to a standstill.

The luxury parka maker said Friday that the health crisis in China has resulted in a sharp decline in sales and store traffic, and that the impact is spreading to shopping destinations in North America and Europe.

The company’s stock fell as much as 8 per cent on Friday morning shortly after the third quarter earnings came out. Canada Goose’s stock was trading at $31.98 on the Toronto Stock Exchange as of 11:20 a.m. ET.

'People are staying home': Canada Goose slashes outlook as coronavirus hits China business

Alicja Siekierska

Canada Goose has slashed its 2020 financial outlook due to the coronavirus outbreak, which has brought the company’s recently expanded business in China to a standstill.

The luxury parka maker said Friday that the health crisis in China has resulted in a sharp decline in sales and store traffic, and that the impact is spreading to shopping destinations in North America and Europe.

The company’s stock fell as much as 8 per cent on Friday morning shortly after the third quarter earnings came out. Canada Goose’s stock was trading at $31.98 on the Toronto Stock Exchange as of 11:20 a.m. ET.

Perhaps they can switch to making designer masks.

AoD

Alicja Siekierska

It’s an old thing, IMO how the Canada Goose coat has become the de rigueur garment of Canada’s residents of Chinese descent.

The new coronavirus will be given a new name sometime next week:

Cars would work well. Coronavirus Acute Respiratory Syndrome

Ooo Ooooooo China Syndrome

So this begs the thinking.. if someone sneezes or vomits as a result of the virus is it called a Coronal Mass Ejection?

The cost of saving face?

C.D.C. and W.H.O. Offers to Help China Have Been Ignored for Weeks
Privately, Chinese doctors say they need outside expertise. But Beijing, without saying why, has shown no interest so far.

Current and former public health officials and diplomats, speaking anonymously for fear of upsetting diplomatic relations, said they believe the reluctance comes from China’s top leaders, who do not want the world to think they need outside help.

In 2003, China was badly stung by criticism of its response to SARS, another coronavirus epidemic; it has also been embroiled in a trade war with the United States for more than a year.

Some experts also say that outsiders could discover aspects of the outbreak that are embarrassing to China: for example, the country has not revealed how many of its doctors and nurses have died fighting the disease.

As fear of coronavirus spreads, business drops more than 30% at Toronto Chinese restaurant

‘People are considering shutting their doors down,’ manager says

Desmond Brown · CBC News · Posted: Feb 06, 2020 7:26 PM ET

Jeanette Liu, manager of Yueh Tung restaurant, says business has dropped more than 30 per cent in recent weeks.

"The fact that we're seeing about 30, 35 per cent decline speaks to the fact, I think, that it is having a lot to do with coronavirus misinformation," Liu told CBC News.

"A lot of business owners that we know have been calling us, asking how's business," she added.

"We haven't seen a lot of the blatant racism that other fellow business owners have experienced in the last couple of weeks, but they're getting calls, they're getting people threatening them, telling them to go back home where they came from."

Liu said these businesspeople have never lived in Wuhan and come from places as diverse as India, like her family, and Jamaica.

"The fact that people are calling businesses, hardworking business owners who've contributed to the city and telling them to go back home where they came from, it's not funny," she added.

TBH, I'm not particularly buying the xenophobia-and-racism-is-causing-a-drop-in-business angle that mass media is eagerly pushing these weeks- yes, there will be stupid people looking for opportunities to flex their racism (and who should always be publicly exposed and condemned)- but I think it's not a particularly good take to suggest that the people staying away are always whites. There are plenty of Chinese and other Asians taking precautions, and going out less often. Again, with the asymptomatic spread of the virus, I can understand why people are being cautious.

Some succinct comments from Reddit:
Tloy said:
I don’t understand why these businesses that are losing sales in Chinese predominate areas (Markham, Richmond Hill, North Scarborough etc.) are claiming xenophobia and racism is driving their sales down.... the majority customer base of the restaurants in these places is MAINLY Chinese or other East Asian descent.

If you were to walk into these said businesses weeks before the coronavirua news broke out, they would be almost full with people of their own race. If they’re losing customers and sales it’s their own people doing it. Some of these restaurants/businesses don’t even have menus and services in English.

If their own people are descriminating these places it really shows the bigger picture with this situation...

SneezeLoudly said:
Becuase the Chinese community isn't stupid. If the virus is floating around in Canada, it's from someone who had recently been to Asia. The same type of person who would travel to Asia (Asian or not) also likely frequents Asian restaurants and grocery stores.

The slow and lackluster "meh, you're probably fine, no need for a quarantine" response from our government means that people come back from China and have no excuse to self isolate. It's not a coincidence that Vancouver got hit first and I'm going to go out on a limb and say it didn't hit bumfuck hick town.

It takes time for the symptoms to show. Some people get it and don't get ill enough to stay home. That shit is going to spread and the Chinese consumer is well aware that this virus is serious way beyond SARS.

The videos coming out of China are terrifying and if you've been to a hospital in Canada, you know that we are in no way prepared to handle the kind of volumes this virus would bring. Forget the 2% death rate that's floating around and focus on the percentage of people that would require medical treatment. The "developed countries" that have seen recoveries have the handful of patients isolated and treated with the upmost care due to the attention this is getting but if we get widespread infection, people will definitely end up in makeshift beds at the convention centers with a standard of care that you would be appalled by.
CDNChaoZ said:
My family's attitude is that "it's probably fine, but why risk it." We'll be back at the restaurants in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
86 dead from the virus in just one day.

Mass arrest. China is dragging sick people out their homes like wild animals.

Video footage is like something out of a horror movie. What an awful country.

The Canadian government finally recognizes that asymptomatic/early spread is possible, after stating such a thing wasn't possible a week ago. Again- this is the flu season, and nearly everyone will show some mild symptoms characteristic of the flu.

Jan. 31, 2020:
Hajdu said Health Canada maintains there is no evidence that the virus can be transmitted by people who are asymptomatic — who have no symptoms — despite a German report suggesting otherwise.

Even China said it was spread asymptomatically two weeks ago!

Jan. 26, 2020:
Ma Xiaowei, minister of China's National Health Commission, or NHC, said at a news conference that the incubation period for the coronavirus — the period between exposure and the appearance of first symptoms — can range from one to 14 days and that it is infectious during this time.

Last edited:
The Canadian government finally recognizes that asymptomatic/early spread is possible, after stating such a thing wasn't possible a week ago. Again- this is the flu season, and nearly everyone will show some mild symptoms characteristic of the flu.

Jan. 31, 2020:

Did you read that article by STAT cited by Sciam?

Editor’s Note (2/4/20): Our partners at STAT have reported that the study discussed in this story was based on faulty information.

AoD

Back