News   May 15, 2024
 178     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 307     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 859     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

China responds to virus with cultural practices snitch lines and threats of execution.

Authorities across China have created snitch lines and promised cash rewards for information on visitors from virus-stricken locations — and even tips on people playing mahjong in defiance of bans on gatherings — as the country’s efforts to constrain an epidemic veer into harsher territory.

The widening use of coercive measures, some broadcast to the public by volunteers in red arm bands, came as China’s President Xi Jinping called for an all-out effort to combat the virus. But it also carried echoes of government mobilization campaigns that marked some of the ugliest moments under Communist Party rule.

“The government has adopted a mass-movement style tactic to deal with the epidemic,” said Wu Qiang, a former Tsinghua University scholar who is an expert in Chinese social movements. He pointed to historical precedents under Chairman Mao Zedong, including the Struggle against the Three Evils and Five Evils and famous Cultural Revolution.

“Encouraging the public to report on each other to achieve the goals of central government rule is nothing new, and this time it’s the same. This is something the Communist Party is good at when it comes to social control — it’s like creating class enemies of all people in China.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/wor...pid=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited:
Coronavirus kills Chinese "whistleblower" Li Wenliang earlier today...

Li Wenliang was working as an ophthalmologist at Wuhan Central Hospital when he sent out a warning to fellow medics on 30 December.
The ophthalmologist posted his story on the Weibo site from a hospital bed a month after sending out his initial warning.

Dr Li, 34, had noticed seven cases of a virus that he thought looked like Sars - the virus that led to a global epidemic in 2003.
Police then visited him to tell him to stop, as authorities tried to keep the news under wraps.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51403795

As fear of coronavirus spreads, business drops more than 30% at Toronto Chinese restaurant

‘People are considering shutting their doors down,’ manager says

Desmond Brown · CBC News · Posted: Feb 06, 2020 7:26 PM ET

Jeanette Liu, manager of Yueh Tung restaurant, says business has dropped more than 30 per cent in recent weeks.

"The fact that we're seeing about 30, 35 per cent decline speaks to the fact, I think, that it is having a lot to do with coronavirus misinformation," Liu told CBC News.

"A lot of business owners that we know have been calling us, asking how's business," she added.

"We haven't seen a lot of the blatant racism that other fellow business owners have experienced in the last couple of weeks, but they're getting calls, they're getting people threatening them, telling them to go back home where they came from."

Liu said these businesspeople have never lived in Wuhan and come from places as diverse as India, like her family, and Jamaica.

"The fact that people are calling businesses, hardworking business owners who've contributed to the city and telling them to go back home where they came from, it's not funny," she added.

I think one thing that’s overlooked is the impact on global supply chains.

I mean, most of the made-in-China stuff you see in Walmart was shipped before CNY (when the factories close down & which has always been a choke point in supply)- if a good number of factories are still closed for the next few weeks, the global just-in-time system could potentially start getting strained. And that’s not counting Chinese-made manufacturing components (like in pharmaceuticals or automobiles).

And there are rumors that an ‘unofficial’ quarantine is going to be placed on Shenzhen...

I mean, most of the made-in-China stuff you see in Walmart was shipped before CNY (when the factories close down & which has always been a choke point in supply)- if a good number of factories are still closed for the next few weeks, the global just-in-time system could potentially start getting strained. And that’s not counting Chinese-made manufacturing components (like in pharmaceuticals or automobiles).
I'm a globalist, and have been working in international trade since graduation in 1995. I have been selling to China since 1997 and first visited the Hofex show in 2001 and have visited China for business many times, including joining PM Martin on the Team Canada Trade Mission in 2005 to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. All that aside, I think the world can and may come to a post-China or even pre-China realization that the global economy can run without this hyper reliance on China for our cheap labour and GHG emission offsets. SEA, the subcontinent and Africa can offer the west the same cheap labour and lax environmental rules our corporations and consumers desire. We don't need to rely on China.

Africa will be the new China

Last edited:
All that aside, I think the world can and may come to a post-China or even pre-China realization that the global economy can run without this hyper reliance on China for our cheap labour and GHG emission offsets. SEA, the subcontinent and Africa can offer the west the same cheap labour and lax environmental rules our corporations and consumers desire. We don't need to rely on China.
Probably the biggest takeaway if the rest of the world manages to narrowly avoid a pandemic- that all the eggs in China = risks are higher than desired. This might just speed up the divestment process Trump started.

Also of note- China just lifted a whole bunch of tariffs on US goods, while some of their internal supply chains (especially food) may be under heavy stress due to the quarantines. Add onto that the recent swine flu and H1N1 outbreaks that have resulted in mass culls and lowered inventory...

Unverified source, but still shocking to see sudden mass death:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Add onto that the recent swine flu and H1N1 outbreaks that have resulted in mass culls and lowered inventory...
I was so annoyed with how Trudeau handled the recent swine issue with China. China had banned Canadian pork because of a fraudulent claim of finding ractopamine in a recent shipment. But now that China is suffering a massive swine flu and kill off they need Canadian pork, so they lift the ban. This, this was Trudeau's chance to tell the Chinese, we're not issuing any CFIA export certificates for pork to China until you release the Michaels. The Canadian pork growers had already reduced their stocks since the ban's enforcement. These f#ckers only understand leverage, and they're bemused and befuddled that we don't.

Last edited:
I was so annoyed with how Trudeau handled the recent swine issue with China. China had banned Canadian pork because of a fraudulent claim of finding ractopamine in a recent shipment. But now that China is suffering a massive swine flu and kill off they need Canadian pork, so they lift the ban. This, this was Trudeau's chance to tell the Chinese, we're not issuing any CFIA export certificates for pork to China until you release the Michaels. The Canadian pork growers had already reduced their stocks since the ban's enforcement. These f#ckers only understand leverage, and they're bemused befuddled that we don't.

Not that I disagree with the spirit of this, except that you are overstating your leverage. Pork isn't a strategic resource, nor is Canada the only supplier to the point where they'd swallow their pride for it. Plus say if you don't issue any export certificates until they release the Michaels - you know they don't do the latter. You made your point, but your farmers still don't get to export pork, and when the pork crunch eases, you get shut out of the market again. So in the end, you didn't gain anything and lost plenty. In the meantime your "allies" would dearly want to get their hands onto your chunk of the export market (they certainly didn't have any qualms about getting you into this pickle in the first place, not to mention the whole nasty tariff business even when you have a signed free-trade treaty with them because of "national security").

The fact that they have to resort to holding two Canadians, plus a whole bunch of deleterious measures for Meng Wanzhou meant they put far, far more worth on the latter. Don't forget that's your real leverage against both parties.

AoD

Last edited:

Back