News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 381     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Countdown to 2047: The Death of Hong Kong?

Super anxious to see the results.

As of right now, 22% of ballots have been counted amidst evidence of shady business.

Pravda Zvítězí

Hong Kong is doomed. Without an independent and effective judicial, contract, financial/transactional and IP system what purpose does the Hong Kong serve?
I don't know....home for its citizens perhaps.

Or is this a trick question?

What purpose does Las Vegas serve? It's still kicking, don't you worry.

What purpose does Las Vegas serve?
Distractions for the masses, mainly dreams, hookers and blow. The residents are there to support it.

Hong Kong‘s purpose was gateway to China, a place where you could reliably finance, contract and trade. The residents were there to support that. Now they, and the city have no purpose. That doesn’t disparage the people, they have little control over their circumstances, but changing realities are coming home for Hong Kong and its people.

Distractions for the masses, mainly dreams, hookers and blow. The residents are there to support it.
The same can be said for Macau (formerly a Portuguese colony), which is across the Pearl River from Hong Kong. In fact, Macau is the world's most popular gambling destination, more so than Las Vegas.

The blow and hookers in Vegas are highly questionable, let me tell you what. The gambling can also be had in all sorts of other places. Vegas is a far way to go for all of that, but yeah, that is it's sole purpose.

Hong Kong‘s purpose was gateway to China, a place where you could reliably finance, contract and trade. The residents were there to support that. Now they, and the city have no purpose. That doesn’t disparage the people, they have little control over their circumstances, but changing realities are coming home for Hong Kong and its people.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds to be sure.

The same can be said for Macau (formerly a Portuguese colony), which is across the Pearl River from Hong Kong. In fact, Macau is the world's most popular gambling destination, more so than Las Vegas.

I gamble. Not regularly and not in serious amounts, but I do enjoy it.

Macau > Vegas (by a million miles)

I've never been to Macau but I've been to Vegas and wish I hadn't. Though, I didn't go there for the gambling or the blow and hookers, AdmiralB. :p

So maybe Hong Kong can become a gambling super star to rival Macau and have the Pearl River Delta Gambling Wars, brought to you by that long-ass bridge! Trust me, East Asians can't get enough of gambling, they can easily support another Macau that close to Macau.

Asia Elects
@AsiaElects
·1h

Hong Kong: With 451/452 seats counted, the pro-democracy camp has won a majority in all 18 councils among the directly elected seats. However, when New Territories rural chairmen are included, the Pro-Beijing camp retains it majority in Islands District. #HongKongElections

Overall, it was a rout.

And moreover, China is way more than prepared to set up Shenzhen as the new Hong Kong. They are granting Shenzhen increasing autonomy to become the international gateway to China, the irony of which I am sure isn't lost on Hong Kong citizens.

And moreover, China is way more than prepared to set up Shenzhen as the new Hong Kong. They are granting Shenzhen increasing autonomy to become the international gateway to China, the irony of which I am sure isn't lost on Hong Kong citizens.
I sell to Walmart in China and for the first time last year flew directly to their China HQ in Shenzhen from my tradeshow in Shanghai. In the past I always flew to Hong Kong and then crossed, but on this last trip I didn't need to go to Hong Kong for any reason - increasingly there is no point to Hong Kong. I still did for fun, as I enjoy the https://www.hk-stanley-market.com/ and other sights. I spent some time at the Canadian war cemetery. But I don't think I'll visit anywhere in China until this Huawei issue is cleared up - I don't need to be randomly detained for months.

Last edited:
Personally I have some doubts about it- China has a tendency to announce these sort of things as certain political posturing- Shenzhen will displace Hong Kong only if it becomes an autonomous zone where rule of law is followed and banking is not subject to the whims of the CPC and China’s opaque financial industry.

Otherwise, you’ll end up with just more of these:

Personally I have some doubts about it- China has a tendency to announce these sort of things as certain political posturing- Shenzhen will displace Hong Kong only if it becomes an autonomous zone where rule of law is followed and banking is not subject to the whims of the CPC and China’s opaque financial industry.

Otherwise, you’ll end up with just more of these:
I don’t think anything will replace Hong Kong. But that doesn’t mean Hong Kong doesn’t stop being what it was, a safe place for business into China.

Back