News   Apr 19, 2024
 210     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 501     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 851     3 

Countdown to 2047: The Death of Hong Kong?

China pulling on more chains:

China Is Forcing Tech Companies to Choose Between Profits and Free Speech
Apple and Blizzard have been pulled into a political struggle, and the platforms are part of the playing field
Will Oremus
Oct 9 · 5

Last edited:
Never thought I'd be looking to buy a Houston Rockets jersey (and not a Yao jersey), but I feel compelled to now.

Thousands left out of work as hundreds of Hong Kong restaurants close against backdrop of anti-government protests and tourism downturn
  • Food and drink sector suffering as number of visitors to city plummets against backdrop of civil unrest
  • Industry figures urge government to provide subsidies for struggling businesses

Definitely so, and if it isn't stopped, it's going to subvert democracies.

A list of self-censorship undertaken by international companies on China's behalf:

Also this amazing image from ESPN today:

Like I said, any hint of a threat to these corporation's bottom line, and they immediately jump through hoops no matter the questionable morality.

They're as pathetic as Doug Ford's clapping seals.

Clock ticking on Hong Kong luxury store closures if protests continue – it could end up like a third-tier city in China, LVMH executive says
  • Hong Kong is the most important market in Asia for luxury brands – as a stepping stone to mainland China and a magnet for shoppers from there and wider region
  • Brands are unlikely to invest more in the city now, and could start downsizing as soon as January, an adviser to the luxury retail industry says

FYI, the SCMP was acquired by Alibaba back in 2015- and Jack Ma 'stepped down' just this year- no surprise consider Xi's policies of injecting the CCP into corporate boards. Like all news sources, I'd always take it with a grain of salt considering the message its owners may want it to convey.

In other news, Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act bill has passed its first hearing unanimously- now the trickier part is getting through the Senate (and probably most challenging of all, the President's desk). That being said, this will ultimately largely target those living in Hong Kong- extra-territorial participants (i.e. gang members targeting pro-democracy forces) will likely be unaffected.

Hong Kong protests: US lawmakers pass Human Rights and Democracy Act
16 October 2019

An interesting set of polls from the Chinese University of Hong Kong, conducted for the Ming Pao newspaper:

Absolute collapse in trust in the police- interesting seeing that the police has a core group of supporters (any guesses?):
EG-5gkgUcAEyulQ.jpg

Despite increasingly violent protester actions, public opinion has not shifted much:
EG-5hgOUYAEjXoe.jpg

Again- symbolic of a missing sense of justice- the public believes that vigilantism is possibly acceptable in these situations- a likely result of proven-and-uninvestigated police brutality, and undercover police forces being perceived as undertaking in false flag activity and attempting to infiltrate protester ranks:
EG-5iE_UUAAICTU.jpg

The only way out:
EG-5kJtU0AE4gn0.jpg

Finally, the anti-mask law is seen as counter-productive (no surprise there):
EG-5k1-UwAAksE2.jpg

Last edited:

Back