News   May 24, 2024
 8.3K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 470     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Just curious about the Bradford Bypass as I had to change between 400 and 404 the other weekend and didn't really find a great route. Is the public largely behind it? Also, are there some genuine environmental concerns, etc. I'm not too familiar with the route, but imagine it would be located fairly close to Holland Marsh.
It would be, yes. I support the route, right now if you want to go from the 404 to the 400 you need to take the 401 if you don't want to pay 407 tolls.. I could see it redistributing a fair amount of 401 traffic as people coming from up north use it to bypass the central 401.

I would certainly use it.

It would be, yes. I support the route, right now if you want to go from the 404 to the 400 you need to take the 401 if you don't want to pay 407 tolls.. I could see it redistributing a fair amount of 401 traffic as people coming from up north use it to bypass the central 401.

I would certainly use it.
Another option, which definitely isn't on the table and has an even greater environmental impact, is for the "GTA West" Highway 413 to be extended from it's proposed terminus at Hwy 400 to Hwy 404, which would add a nice connection between the Bradford Bypass and Highway 407. Probably tolled though, but I thought the Bradford Bypass would also be tolled, since it's a new highway.

First I heard of this. That's a busy mainline.

But if CP did abandon service on the Belleville Sub (which I seriously doubt - with the abandonment of the Havelock and Chalk River Subs it's their only line east of Toronto connecting to Montreal and New York) that would give VIA its dedicated line all the way to Smiths Falls and on to Ottawa.

He's referring to CP shutting down their piggyback services. Sears and Canadian Tire were major customers, and Sears is gone, so....

https://www.railwayage.com/intermodal/cp-shutting-expressway/

They've been gradually reducing them for years anyways.

Just curious about the Bradford Bypass as I had to change between 400 and 404 the other weekend and didn't really find a great route. Is the public largely behind it? Also, are there some genuine environmental concerns, etc. I'm not too familiar with the route, but imagine it would be located fairly close to Holland Marsh.

It would go through East Gwillimbury and Bradford. Currently on hold but I imagine the Ford government might get it going again. I've always taken Mulock --> Bathurst --> Hwy 9 to get from the 404 to the 400 when heading to Barrie and beyond. Many people take Green Lane instead of Mulock.

I think making the 401 6 lanes from Windsor to the 416 is valid as this is the main link of our province.

Without the 401, the province would pretty much stop running

Overpass.jpg

Attachments

• Overpass.jpg
    Overpass.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 544
He's referring to CP shutting down their piggyback services. Sears and Canadian Tire were major customers, and Sears is gone, so....

https://www.railwayage.com/intermodal/cp-shutting-expressway/

They've been gradually reducing them for years anyways.

I'm not sure what it was called actually, I just knew of it as the CP train between Montreal and Toronto. A lot of companies used it as a cheaper way to move freight between Toronto and Montreal but its cancellation results in more trailers on the 401 amidst a driver shortage..

EDIT Sidenote, I saw some work being done on the 401 E to 403 W ramp today. Don't know what they were doing though as I thought it was close to opening and there was at least one large construction vehicle.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, on the 401...

9peyyuvpxko11.jpg

Via https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/co...01_east_this_morning/?st=jmjpcds9&sh=1d09ff2b

I'm surprised the whole highway wasn't shut down like it was during those propane explosions 10 years ago

This is why the 401 should not be for cars (it should be a truck route). Also, they probably didn't because the propane tank explosions acted as projectiles, potentially harming those on the opposing traffic side. With this fuel tanker, if it blows up, the explosion probably wouldn't have been large enough to harm drivers in the oncoming traffic lanes. Since shutting down the 401 in both directions would have been a huge financial burden to the region, it was probably for the best that they kept the other lanes open.

This is why the 401 should not be for cars (it should be a truck route). Also, they probably didn't because the propane tank explosions acted as projectiles, potentially harming those on the opposing traffic side. With this fuel tanker, if it blows up, the explosion probably wouldn't have been large enough to harm drivers in the oncoming traffic lanes. Since shutting down the 401 in both directions would have been a huge financial burden to the region, it was probably for the best that they kept the other lanes open.

And how do you propose people get to work?

Back