News   Jun 14, 2024
 616     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 641     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 601     0 

TTC suspects province is plotting a takeover

Providing an acceptable quality of service, not cost recovery, should be the objective of a public transit agency. The Spadina streetcar is an improvement over the bus because it transports 19,000 additional people per day, even if it sacrifices a profit to do so.

I personally think that the province should take over the TTC and integrate it with the region. My only objection would be the aforementioned accountability to local transit needs but, really, the TTC is not exactly visionary when it comes to addressing local needs, anyway.

Fully agree, as long as local planners can still respond quickly to local concerns. In Metro Vancouver, for example, Translink manages the bus routes, but the local government decides where to put the stops.

Providing an acceptable quality of service, not cost recovery, should be the objective of a public transit agency.

Oakville, Mississauga, Brampton, York Region- fare integrated networks
Durham Region, GO Transit- fare integrated networks
TTC-
routes venturing beyond the Steeles border/Pearson threshold, brand new fare and a network unable to get anyone anywhere in a timely manner. Case in point how, VIVA's more effective for cross-regional commuting (even with the York U jog) than your average Kipling to Scarborough Centre BD/SRT ride.

Timeliness and affordability are the most important factors regarding transit. It's a public service and should be treated as such. The obsession with cost recovery only affects commuters with ever rising costs to match deteriorating service. If the TTC can't manage their act, they need to be more inclusive of other networks. That's how they'll get new customers and revenues. I can't even use the TTC downtown anymore because streetcars are so infrequent and slow. As such I walk throughout the YUS catchment now instead of paying a fare on top of the $6.25 I give GO.

The sTTingy C needs to adjust or relinquish one of its fleets (subway, streetcar, bus, future projects) to the GTAA. They should also revamp their marketing strategies IMO.

It was said today at Metrolinx meeting that there is a need on setting up independent contractors within the 416 using small buses to better feed routes of TTC and GO as well where there is no service now.

I happen to be sitting next to the GM of TTC and said 113 will not like this.

I do support smaller buses not only in 416 but other areas as they can get around a lot easier on small/winding streets than 40' buses. Also, they can handle the low ridership in the first place.

Sure the day to day operating cost is almost the same, but it is the capital cost is where the saving comes into play. I don't buy the rest of the arguments for using 40's over 30's.

MT just close a tender for 24 more EZ and this will increase the fleet to 36 once they show up. MT can use 100 easy since 40% of service does not require 40' buses period.

Putting the Subway under Metrolinx control will mean transit riders will still be able to use the system if TTC goes on strike later this year or any future date. Sad part, this is TTC bread and butter for making money if this happens.

Once the subway becomes 100% ATC, you will only need 1 staff for the train to look after the doors compare to the 2 man crew today. That person does not have to be a driver in the first place.

While MacIsaac said he was referring to a provincial takeover of the costs of operating and building subways, not actually running them...
Hang on - what's the difference between operating and running a subway?

Once the subway becomes 100% ATC, you will only need 1 staff for the train to look after the doors compare to the 2 man crew today. That person does not have to be a driver in the first place.
Though if your going to staff the trains at all, you'll want a driver on there. If you get a system wide signalling failure, your going to need to run the trains into the next station manually - or even run the entire system manually.

the people who drive and maintain the subway are city people but the costs are covered by the province...

Though if your going to staff the trains at all, you'll want a driver on there. If you get a system wide signalling failure, your going to need to run the trains into the next station manually - or even run the entire system manually.

What drum's describing is what currently exists on the SRT. There's a TTC employee at the front of the train, but all he does is close the doors and the train drives itself (so he's not a driver). In case of a problem, he could take over manual operation. This is common all around the world. Another option would be to allow the TTC employee to walk around the train (increasing safety), and have a set of door control buttons next to each door that the employee can activate with a key so he doesn't have to stay in one place. In case of manual operation, there could be a control panel at the front of the train that could be activated if needed. This system is used on the DLR in London.

why not just keep two, one stays up front and opens and closes the door and keep a guy who is not a driver but some regular guy walking around the train.

One it would make the TTC much safer at night....

You have it in the Go train and it really makes people happy when they see a guy just walking around...

or instead take the savings and just hire more special constables

Worst.idea.ever. This makes TTC much more prone to political influence from Queen's Park, and we all know what that brought us.

Metrolinx should keep all the municipal agencies and Go as they are, while encouraging integration to erase Steeles, Pearson, Rouge Valley, etc from relevance. This way, TTC buses will no longer short turn at Steeles, and MT buses can pull directly onto the Islington subway bus terminal. All bus routes within the GTAH should be standardized. There could be a common tariff union and those without a pass can choose between different tickets:

A 30 minute ticket costs $1.50 and allows unlimited usage of any Metrolinx service for up to 30 minutes after the ticket is bought.

A 60 minute ticket costs $2.00.

A 90 minute ticket costs $2.50.

A 2 hour ticket costs $3.00.

Or some arrangement like that. The hundreds of ticket gate people at subway stations can be reassigned to be roving inspectors on services. And Metrolinx will only exist to cross-subsidize service so that political boundaries cease to be relevant.

^

All fine and good, but what if the TTC stamps their feet and screams NO NO NO NO NO

Metrolinx has to have some sort of teeth, and unless you want to go through the painful process of forced amalgamation (and we all know how popular that was), the best way to do so is to trade control for cash.

This is how corporations do it (raising money by selling shares), this is how my parents did it (paying the baker for bread when they didn't feel like baking it), and this is how the province should do it.

Also, since the Harper government denies the existence of municipalities, province run transit could probably get money from them.

^ Essentially, my plan would be to leave the daily operations of TTC, MT, GO, etc alone, but create a funding formula so that each transit system will hook up to neighbours much more frequently. This will essentially erase political boundaries while allowing the autonomy of each system. It goes without saying that the province should crank up subsidies so TTC farebox recovery goes down to about 60%. Perhaps Metrolinx should create a contingency fund to avoid massive service cuts caused by a stingy government.

As for your last point, you need to remember that Harper will probably be gone one year from now, and most of the time Ottawa has Liberals. I'm 1000% sure a Dion government won't drag on and only "promise" to fund 905 transit projects.

As for your last point, you need to remember that Harper will probably be gone one year from now, and most of the time Ottawa has Liberals. I'm 1000% sure a Dion government won't drag on and only "promise" to fund 905 transit projects.

I will give you this.

I try to hope for the daydreams but plan for the nightmares.

When I was drawing up my dream transit map on Google Earth just a few seconds ago the application froze and I lost all the changes I made in the past 2 hours. :(

/off topic

i think we should just adopt a system like Edmonton for inter-regional travel. If a rider is transferring from one system to another, they pay a $1 region surcharge.

Back