News   Jun 18, 2024
 122     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 994     3 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 472     0 

TTC suspects province is plotting a takeover

There are definitely huge pros and cons to this. I really don't think it would be a good idea to separate the subway from the buses, not least because the surface routes average about 60% fare recovery compared to about 85% for the system as a whole (i.e. surface routes plus subway). Integration between buses and subway is also the TTC's greatest and most notable strength.

Another big downside is local accountability. Maybe this is wishful thinking, since it's hardly helped much in the past, but councillors seem much more likely to take on the provincial bureaucracy when an area is being poorly served. I can't imagine a board appointed by the provincial government administering a vast bureaucracy being able to force the TTC to improve reliability of the Queen or Spadina lines. It would essentially be absolute rule of the TTC bureaucracy, which is about the worst possible situation, especially with their well-demonstrated hostility to any idea that they did not come up with themselves.

There are big advantages, though. The system would finally be properly funded. Service to 905 areas would improve dramatically (and for south of Bloor types who assume it becomes unserviceable sprawl as soon as you cross Steeles, the 905 is in many cases more dense than the adjacent 416 suburb). Fare integration would be a big plus. I'd love to see a real fare zone system like in Europe. Downtowners are getting fed up with the TTC. Not only is downtown service abysmally slow and unreliable as soon as you get off the subway, but it also costs a fortune to use it. Why would someone in their right mind pay $5.50 return for a 40 minute streetcar trip to U of T from Front Street and Spadina when they can walk in about 45 minutes (winter excepted, though that's not much benefit since you're often waiting at the stop 20 minutes for the streetcar to arrive)? The endless games around funding would be eliminated. GO and TTC would finally be combined, allowing GO to become an express service within the 416. Almost every other successful transit authority worldwide is integrated across the metropolitan area.

Prior to reading this forum, I didn't think a subway line could bring in profits, what with the high maintenance and operating costs. But then they can't be that high with good infrastructure and equipment, and ridership is high. How much money does it bring in?

How do they even calculate that profit? Hundreds of thousands of people transfer to/from the subway every day but only pay 1 fare.

They calculate the average revenue per boarding systemwide and then multiply it by the amount of boardings of a particular route and then compare that to the operating costs that route.

I would be in favor of the GTTA taking over the more regional (and the most expensive) aspect of the TTC: the Subway system.

It would be interesting to see if there would be any interlining opportunities between GO and the subway system if that happened. Time for another route map design competition?

The subway system depends on unprofitable surface routes to feed it, so even though it may "attract" more revenue than it costs to operate, it would not do so in isolation...there's no point in saying the subways are profitable and the rest of the system isn't because it just isn't *really* true. There's probably segments of the subway system that could be self-funding, though.

In any case, if you were going to separate ownership of the subway and bus system, I would think it would be necessary to do so in a way that built in incentives for them to feed one another, rather than to regard each other as competitors. (Yes, I'm thinking of GO vs. municipal/regional transit systems and the lost hubbing opportunities at various points in the system.)

For instance, wouldn't there be some benefit in having a non-operating regulatory body which could govern how the different operators relate to one another -- and, for instance, set the rates which the subway would have to pay the buses for each patron the buses "delivered" to the subway?

TTC takeover suspicions played down
GTTA chair says focus is on regional links, not taking control of local transit systems
Oct 25, 2007 04:30 AM
TESS KALINOWSKI
TRANSPORTATION REPROTER
The Greater Toronto Transportation Authority has no interest in operating the TTC, says its chair.

"My board's been clear that they're interested and focused on the regional traveller. They're not interested in trying to take the place of local transit systems," said Rob MacIsaac, responding to reports of speculation among Toronto councillors that the province might take over the TTC.

It's been suggested the GTTA, which eventually is expected to take over GO Transit, would be the natural vehicle for Queen's Park. But MacIsaac said the GTTA is more interested in improving links among regional transit authorities and creating new routes that serve the growing numbers of cross-regional commuters. While that may affect the TTC, "that's quite different from saying we're going to take them over."

TTC chair Adam Giambrone, one of four Toronto representatives on the 11-member GTTA board, said he was "glad to hear officially the GTTA is not interested in taking over the TTC." But, he added, "we haven't heard back from the province officially as to their response."

If the province moved to regionalize transit, Giambrone thinks Toronto would lose. "In most regional models there's a feeling of having to treat everyone equally," he said.

Councillor Gord Perks had similar concerns. "Before the creation of Metro, the TTC ran a profit. When we expanded it to provide transit into Scarborough, North York and Etobicoke ... that's when we started losing money.

"The worry I have is that if we expand the system into the whole GTA, who's going to pay to bring the transit service up to our standard in Richmond Hill? Is that going to be paid for by the people of Richmond Hill or will the TTC have to cut its service in the city to subsidize areas that weren't built for transit?"

Meantime, provincial sources have told the Star the idea of a TTC takeover was raised in cabinet before the election. But it was dismissed because Queen's Park isn't prepared to do the same for other municipal transit systems.

True, Councillor Perks, but you also forget but that was also the year that suburban councillors voted to eliminate the zone fare system. That was the true reason why the TTC stopped turning a profit, we stopped charging people what they should be paying based on the distance they travel.

It seems the concern of a zone-fare system is that it would disadvantage those in the far-flung corners of the city, but such a view seems to completely ignore the area beyond the City of Toronto. Would a GTA-wide zone fare system not help Rexdale residents wanting to work at the thousands of jobs in Malton or southeast Brampton who now pay a double fare? Would not not help those Malvernites and other Scarberians who wish to work at the thousands of jobs in south Markham who also have to pay a double fare? And for that matter, what of those who work in their own neighbourhood at the multitude of low-wage jobs at Woodbine Racetrack, Woodbine Centre, Albion Centre, Malvern TC, Scarborough TC, etc, etc, etc...

I'd bet that I've describe many, many more low-wealth individuals who are being screwed by the current system than would be disadvantaged by a higher fare to downtown.

There's literally millions of people who would cross Steeles or go beyond the airport by transit but the multiple fares prevent them. If zones are coupled with a GO revolution so that people many zones out can actually get downtown easily, I think they'd be willing to pay a bit more, especially since low-wealth folks aren't typically the people commuting downtown.

Maybe Gord Perks would be happy if the TTC retreated and only served the old city of Toronto, thus guaranteeing a profit...what a great city we'd have then!

Not even a hyper dense city like New York can have even close to profitable transit, it is ridiculous to expect that here without a huge investment in new transit infrastructure and new planning policies (i.e. even higher densities than NYC). Simply changing the fare structure would not make much difference, for better or for worse.

BTW, transit in the suburbs is not necessarily less efficient than transit in the inner city. After all, Hurontario and Yonge (in York Region) are the only profitable surface routes in all the GTA.

That's an interesting point, doady. Is Yonge still running an operating profit now that it's run by YRT? I know it did as GO's Yonge C bus.

The Spadina bus also used to run at above 100% fare recovery, which is down to about 50% now with the streetcar. The TTC may have big unexpected costs when the Transit City lines are built.

The truth is that "profitability" is a factor of the math used to calculate these things than the actual operation of the line. The TTC changed how they did their calculations a few years ago which changed all the results. When the Spadina bus was "profitable" there were seven TTC surface routes that were considered profitable, now there are none. There aren't even any that are close.

The largest cost of operating transit is staffing costs. Looking at Spadina, ridership increased from 26,000 before the streetcar to 45,000 today, while requiring a decrease in staff required per passenger due to larger vehicles. But yet the route changed from "profitable" to "unprofitable".

According to the math of Brampton Transit, they run several profitable routes as well, so it's more than just Hurontario and Yonge. It's not much of a stretch to assume that if the TTC was assessing all these 905 routes using their math then they would not be considered profitable at all.

The truth is that "profitability" is a factor of the math used to calculate these things than the actual operation of the line. The TTC changed how they did their calculations a few years ago which changed all the results. When the Spadina bus was "profitable" there were seven TTC surface routes that were considered profitable, now there are none. There aren't even any that are close.

The largest cost of operating transit is staffing costs. Looking at Spadina, ridership increased from 26,000 before the streetcar to 45,000 today, while requiring a decrease in staff required per passenger due to larger vehicles. But yet the route changed from "profitable" to "unprofitable".

According to the math of Brampton Transit, they run several profitable routes as well, so it's more than just Hurontario and Yonge. It's not much of a stretch to assume that if the TTC was assessing all these 905 routes using their math then they would not be considered profitable at all.

Now this is actually quite interesting...

Does the TTC like to use creative accounting in order to squeeze more money than what is really needed so the higher ups can pocket some extra cash? I smell a conspiracy (or another funding waste scandal)!

No conspiracies here. It's just the way a route can be counted as "profitable" based on a complex formula based on cost to run the route (labour, fuel, would you include bus maintenance, depreciation, etc?) and revenue from fares (methodology can chance based on how you calculate passes and transfers versus cash fares), and how you calculate - cost/revenue per hour? cost/revenue per kilometre? Time of day? It's really complex and variable if you think about it.

When the Spadina bus was "profitable" there were seven TTC surface routes that were considered profitable, now there are none. There aren't even any that are close.

But if there's 80% cost recovery at the farebox overall for the system surely there's some routes doing 60% or less while others do 100% or more?

Back