News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 502     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Shops at Don Mills (redevelopment, Giannone Petricone/Pellow + Associates )

I was wondering around that new SmartCentre on Eglinton in Scarberia recently. It's a disaster ... to get to Walmart, to some of the other stores, you virtually have to walk back through the parking lot. There's even grass (not shovelled!) in the way, where you need to walk across in places. And the entrances seem to be on the back. It's crazy, I could have hit the side of the building with a baseball (well, if my arm was any good), and it's clearly part of the same complex ... but it looks like it's designed to drive from store to store - in the same parking lot??? Smart Centre? And I was driving!! I can't imagine what would happen if you were walking.

If this is what Don Mills Centre ends up like, I'll be quite unhappy.

The Don Mills Centre is not being built like the Smart!Centres with shops around the periphery. For this one they will be building a couple of main streets that run through the middle of the complex, lined with shops, a spot for a "town square" park in the middle, and then the whole thing will be surrounded by a sea of parking.

You ever walk up Yonge Street, or Bloor, or Queen?

I meant in the context of Don Mills.

Of course it works on Queen, Bloor and Yonge Street. They are downtown.
But in California Outdoor malls also work in suburban locations, I don't know if it will work in the same way in Don Mills.

I will say this, it will be nice in the summer!!!

Don't know if this was posted yet. From Turner Fleischer Architects

Don-MillsRCSS426.jpg

add in 100 more cars and you see the reality...

Funny thing about that image is that neither in the central shopping area nor in the surrounding condo towers, is there *any* evidence of this being Macklin Hancock's Don Mills of the 1950s...

Shopping outside!! What crazy ideas will those sun-spoiled Californians try to force on us next?

Am I missing something here? Trinity Common Mall in Brampton (410/Bovaird) is a perfect example of how a outdoor mall in Don Mills could work. Sure it caters to car-culture over transit but it has a bus terminal right smack in the middle such that any big box store is within 5-10 mins from a bus stop. New housing projects along Great Lakes Dr. capitalizes on the mall as a selling point. DMC can be revitalized as a neo-downtown much in the vain of all the new centres emerging throughout the 905 region, with the mall drawing in commerical then corporate then residential interests.

Winter's just apart of life here and last time I checked the insides of stores were weatherproof :rolleyes:.

I know Trinity Common well. While at the time, it was a step or two up from the truly inhuman "Smart!Centres" style of big box (with the bus terminal, sidewalks and the central area with smaller retailers and the chain restaurants), I wouldn't wish it upon Don Mills. Several of us UTSA members went up there for a suburban lunch on a tour of Brampton. It's still a giant parking lot surrounded by big-boxes, with a few gestures and the bus terminal added..

A somewhat better model is the more recent Waterloo Town Centre redevelopment.

Am I missing something here? Trinity Common Mall in Brampton (410/Bovaird) is a perfect example of how a outdoor mall in Don Mills could work. Sure it caters to car-culture over transit but it has a bus terminal right smack in the middle such that any big box store is within 5-10 mins from a bus stop. New housing projects along Great Lakes Dr. capitalizes on the mall as a selling point. DMC can be revitalized as a neo-downtown much in the vain of all the new centres emerging throughout the 905 region, with the mall drawing in commerical then corporate then residential interests.

A car-focused mall in car focused Don Mills. - You have a point it and it probably will work.

However, I won't be hanging out there unless it's summer time.

so sad how we disney-fied our one beacon community of modernist design.. one day I think we are going to regret the demolation of the original don mills centre as we did of our victorian heritage downtown... say had this been proposed around scarbourough town centre I don't think it would be as bad..

Don Mills Centre web site

Actually, instead of old proposal plans it is far better to go to the actual web site and see what the plan is.
In there you can see 3d walktrough as well as pdf of frontages and proposal for residential part.

http://www.shopsatdonmills.ca/tourist/index.ch2

As a resident of Donway West, this is in my opinion way much better than old mall with dollar shops and fast food outlets.

Thanks for the link.

It appears that they are using a more 'modern' Don Mills aesthetic for the plaza.

Back