News   May 16, 2024
 580     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 801     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 595     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

The US doesn't have to be 'nice' to us, they don't have to be 'fair' to us. That we are surprised when they ruthlessly pursue their own interest shows how sheltered we have become; safe & secure with US market access and protection, all the while lecturing them. There is ultimately a price to pay. I have told my sanctimonious friends this for many years.

The US is in the WTO, the WTO limits tariffs on most goods now to 2.5%. They can and will rule against the US current tariffs (Steel etc.) and any auto tariff.

The US could pull out of the WTO, but then it can kiss any international regime of trade good bye, along with intellectual property rights.

It would create a royal mess for everyone.

The US has a compelling interest to preserve a deal that's already favourable to them and to preserve a global trade regime that very much works in their favour.

That said, what theatrics we must endure along the road to preserving same is an open question.

I'll add that I don't think Trump has the votes in Congress to repeal NAFTA.

His fast-track authority on NAFTA also expires in short order.

Wouldn't trade the USA for any of those polite little counties. They are mostly white, social democratic, beer-drinking mono-cultures. Sounds like you'd import some version of the EU over here with all its problems.
Why don't you all just move to Brussels and beg for one of these secure lifetime jobs & pensions.

The UK is interesting, but its just a smaller pretentious version of the US, even more innately war-like, with a hooligan culture that respects no border.

Wouldn't trade the USA for any of those polite little counties. They are mostly white, social democratic, beer-drinking mono-cultures. Sounds like you'd import some version of the EU over here with all its problems.
Why don't you all just move to Brussels and beg for one of these secure lifetime jobs & pensions.

The UK is interesting, but its just a smaller pretentious version of the US, even more innately war-like, with a hooligan culture that respects no border.

I knew it.
You're a filthy Yank fifth column quisling.

Ease up, bruv.

Your excuses for dyslexia were shown to be fraudulent after the obvious pattern of strictly messing up people's names.

Now this?

I’m just back from Singapore and KUL. I could live in the former but not the latter.

What did you find to be the most important factors in making that judgment?

I personally also think I'd be happier in Singapore, though I haven't been to either and am basing that on what I know otherwise about the two.

Back