News   May 02, 2024
 771     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 224     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 300     0 

Rail Deck Park (?, ?, ?)

Yeah, there's reference to that building in the upfront of the engineering cost study doc: The purpose of the project is to facilitate the development of approximately 8.15 hectares (20.14 acres) of new parkland with associated pedestrian / cycle connections. (Although not considered within the scope of this study, the Metrolinx-owned property at the southwest corner of Spadina Avenue and Front Street could be included at a later planning stage, and would increase the potential park area to 8.78 hectares or 21.7 acres.) Then it's also described in one of the appendices as "New building connecting to train platform and Rail Deck Park."

Also, thing I've wondered about; I'll be interested to see where the diesel ventilation fans ultimately wind up exhausting: It is expected that diesel trains will operate through the USRC for the foreseeable future. Therefore, a mechanical ventilation will be required in accordance with NFPA 130 for the enclosed structure (exceeding 305 metres in length). This system could entail large ventilation fans, or a series of 1.6 metre diameter jet fans along the enclosure.

Also, not for nothing, but it's good to see Mouth of the Creek Park included in the plans; I'd wondered if it might be a casualty of this planning process.

I wonder if there could be cost savings in leaving portions of the rail corridor undecked- and it could provide some interesting layering effects (i.e. seeing greenery and then a train run through an exposed portion)- kind of like the Olympic Park in Seattle.

Reading through those PDFs have affirmed that there really isn't a space for condos here.

upload_2017-11-29_10-26-24.png

We need to build that.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-29_10-26-24.png
    upload_2017-11-29_10-26-24.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 871
Reading through those PDFs have affirmed that there really isn't a space for condos here.

We need to build that.

I am thinking that the space above the MX site at the SW corner of Front and Spadina can use a tower on top - but do it in a way that opens up at the ground level (beyond what space needed for lobby) - e.g. 8 Chifley by RSH in Sydney:

https://architectureau.com/articles/8-chifley-square/

Now if there is only way to satisfy the parking requirement using the Well for such a project...

Also, nobody said anything about this, but the synergy with the originally Union Park (ex-Oxford Place) rail corridor open space cannot be understated - you can potentially end up with a park from Bathurst all the way to Simcoe.

AoD

I am thinking that the space above the MX site at the SW corner of Front and Spadina can use a tower on top - but do it in a way that opens up at the ground level (beyond what space needed for lobby) - e.g. 8 Chifley by RSH in Sydney:

https://architectureau.com/articles/8-chifley-square/

AoD
That would be nice, but Metrolinx has always seemed very hesitant to get into land development. Look at the complete lack of intensification at any Crosstown station.

That would be nice, but Metrolinx has always seemed very hesitant to get into land development. Look at the complete lack of intensification at any Crosstown station.

Totally, but they will need to think outside the box - and this isn't a cheap suburban site.

AoD

View attachment 128699

We need to build that.
That picture shows how close Canoe Landing park is to this Rail Deck park. Honestly, do we really want to spend $1.5 billion on a patch of grass and a couple of basketball courts? If anything, bring an international design competition to produce something akin to the Millenium park in Chicago.
Looks like there's plenty of room for condos too.

That picture shows how close Canoe Landing park is to this Rail Deck park. Honestly, do we really want to spend $1.5 billion on a patch of grass and a couple of basketball courts? If anything, bring an international design competition to produce something akin to the Millenium park in Chicago.

I think it's a given that if they go ahead it will have to be a park that matters. Anything less won't do.

AoD

That is what is planned.
Source please?
The current estimate $1.6 billion, is it just for the bare minimum, or for something spectacular following a design competition?
Safe to assume it's for the bare minimum? if so, something spectacular would add another $1 billion or so...

Source please?
The current estimate $1.6 billion, is it just for the bare minimum, or for something spectacular following a design competition?
Safe to assume it's for the bare minimum? if so, something spectacular would add another $1 billion or so...

Not really - Maggie Daley Park in Chicago is only $60M; Millennium Park is $490M all inclusive, but 1/4 of that is for the parking garage underneath.

It would be nice to have Gehry design the space (though it is kind of late for that, I think)

AoD

Source please?

The 60+ page report that re-started this discussion goes to great lengths to explain that every effort has been made to ensure maximum flexibility in actual design of the park itself.

If anything here needs sourcing, it's the assertion that "something spectacular would add another $1 billion or so."

The 60+ page report that re-started this discussion goes to great lengths to explain that every effort has been made to ensure maximum flexibility in actual design of the park itself.

If anything here needs sourcing, it's the assertion that "something spectacular would add another $1 billion or so."

To be fair, the costing presented by the city is rather preliminary and the landscaping costs does not suggest a level of excellence on par with that of Millennium Park. Having said that, no matter what the bulk of the project cost will be structural.

AoD

Not really - Maggie Daley Park in Chicago is only $60M; Millennium Park is $490M all inclusive, but 1/4 of that is for the parking garage underneath.

It would be nice to have Gehry design the space (though it is kind of late for that, I think)

AoD

So this is 3 times the cost of Millenium Park but slightly smaller, with no iconic Frank Gehry amphitheater, no bean and no actual land acquired on which to build?
What a bargain.

(I don't see how it's late to have Gehry [not that he's a landscape designer?] design the space. This is a high level idea and very little thought has been given to the actual programming/design of the place. It says "PRELIMINARY design concept" right there...)

So this is 3 times the cost of Millenium Park but slightly smaller, with no iconic Frank Gehry amphitheater, no bean and no actual land acquired on which to build?
What a bargain.

Masterpieces aren't cheap - if you want bargain you wouldn't have gone for a Frank Gehry amphitheatre in the first place. Or allow railway companies to sell air rights for some BS proposal.

It is late for Gehry to be involved simply because of his advanced age.

AoD

Back