News   May 14, 2024
 555     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 945     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 489     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

A poorly done station affects all riders of the Bloor line to a certain extent, especially ones who will be passing it on a daily basis. A station like Rosedale would be a daily eyesore.
How does passing a station affect someone? I guess when the doors open in the winter cold air pours in? I'm trying to follow your point about Rosedale in the context of this extension (or about Rosedale by itself). What does the Bloor line have to do with Rosedale?

Based on 2015 ridership numbers, Islington's 37,000+ is nearly the same ridership as the entire RT.

Kipling + Islington is 90,340.

Royal York + Old Mill + Jane + Runnymede is 63,710.

I haven't seen projections anywhere near that for the new extension.

STC at 70,000 is in the same league as Kipling + Islington at 90,000.

Royal York + Old Mill + Jane + Runnymede should be compared to the existing Kennedy station. Runnymede is 6 km from Kipling, Kennedy is 6 km from STC.

I think a lot of people (staff and supportive Councillors alike) think when costs come back next year, they'll have risen to the point of being untenable and politically unsupportable.

If the planning of the Relief Line and of Yonge North progresses far enough by that time to show their projected costs, then SSE wouldn't look too bad by comparison.

STC at 70,000 is in the same league as Kipling + Islington at 90,000.

Royal York + Old Mill + Jane + Runnymede should be compared to the existing Kennedy station. Runnymede is 6 km from Kipling, Kennedy is 6 km from STC.

Where are you getting the 70,000 figure from?

Besides the costs, it would be impossible for the subway to enter the STC area following the McCowan alignment, then turn sharply and reach the Progress Campus.

The best we can hope for, is that Metrolinx and TTC will find a way to top-up the federal contribution to the SSE project, reaching up to 40% of the total cost. In that case, we might get the Sheppard / McCowan station, Lawrence East, or maybe both of them.

Far from impossible:

That's a pretty wide curve if utilizing Corporate Dr as right-of-way to Bellamy.

The best we can hope for is diverting the Sheppard East LRT and SmartTrack monies into extending the subway to Morningside Hts. With the subway stretching all the way to Finch East and Morningside, it gives a sort of mission accomplished for all of Scarborough.

Keeping with the direction of the discussion, we don't need a hub-and-spoke model for Scarborough per se. I'd gladly be happy seeing 8 new stations averaging 10-20,000 daily users each than one hub totaling 100,000. Spread the wealth.

Far from impossible:

That's a pretty wide curve if utilizing Corporate Dr as right-of-way to Bellamy.

The best we can hope for is diverting the Sheppard East LRT and SmartTrack monies into extending the subway to Morningside Hts. With the subway stretching all the way to Finch East and Morningside, it gives a sort of mission accomplished for all of Scarborough.

Keeping with the direction of the discussion, we don't need a hub-and-spoke model for Scarborough per se. I'd gladly be happy seeing 8 new stations averaging 10-20,000 daily users each than one hub totaling 100,000. Spread the wealth.
If there were more money, then it could have been extended to the zoo.

Where are you getting the 70,000 figure from?
Who knows. The project website says 30,800 boardings in the latest estimate. Assuming everyone travels both directions, then 61,600 - in 2031.

It's not horrific, but it's not 70,000. Difficult to compare to current numbers - as they are not 2031.

:( is it 2026 yet so we can stop talking about it
In 2026, we'll be talking about why the extension isn't going to open for another year and a half and how badly did the TTC messed up. In the meanwhile, the SRT is running at 10 min headway with half as many working trains. Breakdowns are frequent where riders have been left stranded on a train for over two hours due to deteriorating power and signal system. The 38E, 129E, 131E, 134E and 199 will exist to shuttle people to Kennedy while it runs at half capacity. Large sections of Line 2 would close during weekends for ATO upgrades. Something like Kipling to Ossington or Broadview to Kennedy closures.

I;m placing my bet most of what I said will happen for sure.

Back