Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Wonder if my grandkids' grandkids will ever see a Dundas West Subway Station to Bloor GO/UPX Train Station connection, in their lifetime?

map_bloor_dundas_lg.jpg

Thanks for posting that.....what I never understand why GO/TTC/ML/Prov/City/whoever would continue to engage in this decades long battle to get a tunneled walkway through/under the Crossways....yes it was (is?) the most direct and best route but if it ain't happening...is there anything really wrong with just putting a nice, maybe glass, cover over that "new pedestrian walkway" then taking it underground to get across dundas (similar to what the york "path" tunnel under front does into union).....it may not be the ideal...but would it not be

a) easier
b) faster
c) cheaper
d) doable
e) acceptable.

Thanks for posting that.....what I never understand why GO/TTC/ML/Prov/City/whoever would continue to engage in this decades long battle to get a tunneled walkway through/under the Crossways....yes it was (is?) the most direct and best route but if it ain't happening...is there anything really wrong with just putting a nice, maybe glass, cover over that "new pedestrian walkway" then taking it underground to get across dundas (similar to what the york "path" tunnel under front does into union).....it may not be the ideal...but would it not be

a) easier
b) faster
c) cheaper
d) doable
e) acceptable.
There has not been a decades long battle. There really hasn't been any battle. The service levels have not until now made it a worthwhile connection. No party has been trying for it.

There has not been a decades long battle. There really hasn't been any battle. The service levels have not until now made it a worthwhile connection. No party has been trying for it.
battle may be too strong a word....but they have been talking about a connection for as long as I have been riding that GO line.....and I am into my 3rd decade of that.

After all our complaining about wayfinding and signage, I arrived home at Terminal 1 last night to find these big ads at every baggage carousel in the International arrivals area.

Pretty big ads, and pretty clear and simple wayfinding guidance.

Of course, our plane got in a 02:10 thanks to the weather....so we limo'd it.

But I would say UPE couldn't do much better to put their pitch to incoming travellers.

- PaulView attachment 71488
I appreciate the sign but could someone proofread and remind them about title case and sentence case?

Last edited:
Go read the 1980s TTC and Ministry of Transport reports on the difficulties they were having negotiating with Crossways.

However, just north of Crossways, is land (owned by the government) that hopefully will be used as a connection of some sort.

Dundas West2.jpg

Dundas West.jpg

Which means the tenant stores in Crossways will not have access to potential customers if they do so.

Attachments

• Dundas West2.jpg
    Dundas West2.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 767
  • Dundas West.jpg
    Dundas West.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 757
However, just north of Crossways, is land (owned by the government) that hopefully will be used as a connection of some sort.
Only if they want to do something third-rate with a lot of extra walking. The end of the platforms for the subway station aren't that far from the existing tunnels for the rail station.

Only if they want to do something third-rate with a lot of extra walking. The end of the platforms for the subway station aren't that far from the existing tunnels for the rail station.
could they not do a diagonal underground passage and avoid Crossways?

I never realized just how close the subway platforms are to the GO platforms. If they can't go directly east or up then why not go down and north instead? Surely the Crossways property/parking lot isn't both above and underneath the subway line is it? An alternate route like this(in blue) should be completely possible going down(with elevators if need be, on the very eastern edge of the subway platform), north, then up again;
nPDHlUI.jpg

I never realized just how close the subway platforms are to the GO platforms. If they can't go directly east or up then why not go down and north instead? Surely the Crossways property/parking lot isn't both above and underneath the subway line is it?
That makes a lot of sense. Why not just a fare turnstile in at the east side of the platform and connect from there. It seems like they seem set on making everyone walk back to the main station area and then connect from the mezzanine level.

Both UPX and GO are now identical in Weston Corridor fare treatment now
Are they though? Again, it's far too easy to confuse "fare" and "cost of fare". Not the same. A "fare" on UPX permits you to take a dog on a leash according to their tariff. A "fare" on GO permits you to do a number of other things, for instance, the time to travel on your ticket, and an item that is *still* contentious (I can't find mention of it anywhere in print) 'booking through' to destinations besides Union, Bloor or Weston.

I may be wrong since last time I checked, does anyone know of a link or reference to delineate the point? I fully intend to test the UPX "dog on leash" allowance soon, will walk a dog up to Weston from Stirling Ave (probably via the Humber after taking the subway to Old Mill) and then take the UPX back to Bloor. Errrr...lol...better yet, since I have trepidations on their claim (which I'll print out come a dispute) I'll take the train up, and walk down. "Fare" thee well!

I never realized just how close the subway platforms are to the GO platforms. If they can't go directly east or up then why not go down and north instead? Surely the Crossways property/parking lot isn't both above and underneath the subway line is it? An alternate route like this(in blue) should be completely possible going down(with elevators if need be, on the very eastern edge of the subway platform), north, then up again;
nPDHlUI.jpg
I'm typing some twenty floors above and twenty metres laterally displaced from that at this moment! Paid my rent two days back, and asked "how's that situation with Metrolinx going?" lol..."No comment". "Have you come to any agreement?" "No Comment"...lol..."Will you answer 'no comment' to any question on the subject?"...."No Comment". I congratulated her for being wise if it's still a legal contention. (I suspect she's the property manager's daughter). You're right, I've looked at drawings, and there is no *claim to property* at subway track level, just above. It would be possible (albeit a structural engineer might not agree, without caveats) to tunnel to the ends of the subway platforms w/o having to come to a settlement at all with Crossways. Just as you can tunnel subways and sewers under property, you can in this instance too *with the proviso all structural issues are addressed*.

I really don't know, just taking a guess, but I suspect Crossways are holding out for a better settlement . Your blue line, btw, as drawn *would* have to be constructed partly in the Crossways basement. That could be avoided by the two yellow western passages being at subway platform height until clearing the Crossways property line and then coming up a level on stairs to the Bloor GO pedestrian tunnel. Why this hasn't been suggested boggles the mind. This is how a number of end-of-platform exits have been installed (Bathurst, Spadina, et al). Since the subway running tunnels are lined bores at that point, they should be very stable and easy to work next to.

The shown "pedestrian walkway" to the north of Bloor (intersecting your blue line) has been open now for a month. Only used sporadically though, mostly for cabs and being picked up by car.

Last edited:
Are they though? Again, it's far too easy to confuse "fare" and "cost of fare". Not the same. A "fare" on UPX permits you to take a dog on a leash according to their tariff. A "fare" on GO permits you to do a number of other things, for instance, the time to travel on your ticket, and an item that is *still* contentious (I can't find mention of it anywhere in print) 'booking through' to destinations besides Union, Bloor or Weston.

I may be wrong since last time I checked, does anyone know of a link or reference to delineate the point? I fully intend to test the UPX "dog on leash" allowance soon, will walk a dog up to Weston from Stirling Ave (probably via the Humber after taking the subway to Old Mill) and then take the UPX back to Bloor. Errrr...lol...better yet, since I have trepidations on their claim (which I'll print out come a dispute) I'll take the train up, and walk down. "Fare" thee well!
For what it's worth, I took UP from Weston and then GO to Rouge Hill. The process and the price was exactly the same as taking just GO. I took UP because the next GO train was in about an hour.

A few weeks ago, I didn't really notice much of a crowd on the train. This week it was much busier.

Next weekend, April 9-10, Line 2 will be closed between Jane and Christie. See link.

Boston Red Sox are at Toronto Blue Jays (Rogers Centre/SkyDome) that weekend.

Expect an uptick on the UPX and GO from Weston and Bloor Stations. UPX would be better since its platform is closer to the Rogers Centre.

For what it's worth, I took UP from Weston and then GO to Rouge Hill. The process and the price was exactly the same as taking just GO. I took UP because the next GO train was in about an hour.

A few weeks ago, I didn't really notice much of a crowd on the train. This week it was much busier.
Was it a GO ticket and checked on-board and accepted? I'd feel a lot better if this info was available on-line or in print. Here's my big concern:

ANIMALS

Each guest may take with him or her, free of charge and subject to the
conditions below, a max
imum of two dogs, cats or other small animals
provided that they do not endanger or inconvenience guests or staff.

Dogs must be kept on a
leash
at all times unless in a basket or pet carrier.
Dogs without
leashes
, cats, birds and small animals must be car
ried in an
enclosed basket, cage or pet carrier. This must be rigid and not open (to
prevent escape) and the animal must be able to stand and lie down in
comfort

https://www.upexpress.com/AboutUP/TermsAndConditionsV1

Tariff Feb 2016 - GO Transit
www.gotransit.com/public/en/docs/Tariff_EN.pdf
1.4 - A single ticket will be accepted on GO Transit services for transportation for one ..... travelling with the aid of a seeing-eye, hearing-ear or special skills dog.

If you do buy a GO ticket, do GO's terms and conditions apply, or UPX'? The reason I ask, is because GO don't allow animals except in a crate. Or do specific regs apply to each, even if they are *honouring* the others' tickets? There's going to be a number of irregularities until this is made clear in the terms and tariffs of the fare.

Last edited:

Back