Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

4 hours? Are you sure? GO tap ons are normally 3-hours, unless they've changed recently.
It has been 4 hours for a while now.

The Kitchener and Niagara trains creates situations where you need more 3 hours for a long wait + delayed train, so probably GO adjusted this sometime long ago (years ago IIRC). 3 hours seems to come from before the era of 2-hr-long GO rides.

It is quoted in the UPX FAQ
It is consistent with GO tickets, which have 4 hour expiry (section 12,1 of Tarriff Feb 2016)

Last edited:
Has anyone told SMART or are they aware of UPX problems with their train set since they are getting the same ones??

SMART was the first to order them with UPX Order being added on later. Smart is getting 14 sets for their 42 mile line.

All platforms will support 3 cars with Bloor and Weston up to 4. All Platforms will have to be rebuilt 100% going to more than 3/4 cars.

Supposedly, Nippon employees are still onsite babysitting the problematic Nippon Sharyo DMUs of UPX. All the resident train drivers are loudly complaining about how breakdown prone UPX is, almost sounds like it is running with duct tape.

Your operating under the wrong assumption, the Sharyo units have been a disaster.

I can't even begin to list all the issues they've had so far. Many of the engine blocks have been replaced and the units aren't even a year old yet. Several consists have actually caught on fire while in service. And almost every day a revenue consist has to gets swapped out at some point for the spare. The team from Nippon, they still have employees from the company on site, are just praying that the units will hold up well enough until the one year date passes since apparently they'll be off the hook at that point. If not for the problems these unit have had, the o performance of the line would be close to 100%, they do after all have priority over all other train movements in the corridor.

Smallspy could document the issues for you better than I could since I've generally avoided working on them so I typically don't hear the day to day grumblings. If MX has any sense they will never even consider purchasing these units again.
I could but I'm going to pass, because you've summed up the biggest and most concerning issues thus far. While they are certainly excellent performance-wise on paper, they have not held up nearly as well as they rightfully should have.

Teething issues are to be expected, sure, but the sheer quantity of problems, and the vast variety of their sources, appears to be more than merely "teething". Indeed, there's already rumours floating about that the search is on for replacement equipment.
(...snip...)

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Whoopee. More headaches for Metrolinx this summer as summer heat begins overheating the Sharyos again. Better make a tough decision if no accelerated electrification is occuring.

Great photos by the way!

I wonder on eventual EMU unification and the decision of future high/low platform balance -- need to be a long term planned migration path beyond phase 1 of GO RER -- even maybe long term full high platform for Platform 3 continuously level to UPX station, with flexibility of longer trainsets (3, 4, 5, 6 and 6+6 coach flexibility in merger of RER+UPX+ST) if a high platform conversion is later warranted for the UPX/ST inner section of GO RER. Easier access to UPX station via any Platform 3 access would be massively helpful and reduce the long march from the subway.

For near future, will be very interesting what diesel trainset Metrolinx buys if they cannot wait for electrification, if they buy something else other than the Nippon Sharyo DMUs if they can't get the problems down to a manageable level.

Politics will be pesky, given Westoners wanting clean trains.

Last edited:
It has been 4 hours for a while now.

The Kitchener and Niagara trains creates situations where you need more 3 hours for a long wait + delayed train, so probably GO adjusted this sometime long ago (years ago IIRC). 3 hours seems to come from before the era of 2-hr-long GO rides.
GO's website says 3-hours -http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/fares/presto.aspx#default

Looking through my Presto history, I had some ones that were just short of 3 hours in October, that worked, and one in September where I tapped again at the 3-hour 11 minute mark, that didn't work.

I think it's 3-hours, and has been for a while now. The Tariff is talking about how long before you start your journey after you purchase. I guess if you tap on 3.5 hours before you travel, then they are violating the tariff - but why would you? Presumably they'll refund manually if anyone points this out, and they did tap on more than 3 hours earlier ...

Has anyone told SMART or are they aware of UPX problems with their train set since they are getting the same ones??

SMART was the first to order them with UPX Order being added on later. Smart is getting 14 sets for their 42 mile line.

All platforms will support 3 cars with Bloor and Weston up to 4. All Platforms will have to be rebuilt 100% going to more than 3/4 cars.

March 19 Union Station
25387342883_225f39d9ed_b.jpg

25895307372_0605d87c6c_b.jpg

25990184476_4289efae42_b.jpg

25715552930_1a278613aa_b.jpg

25990189746_8de29638a4_b.jpg

25715556160_9d63c010f2_b.jpg

25383389324_053540357a_b.jpg

26016126245_63b0415ca6_b.jpg

Are your photos linked to the problems? Sorry I don't quite follow you. Are the big green cubes tool boxes to keep the trains running?

Looking forward to seeing Bombardier replacements here! The NS trains are very ugly.

Are your photos linked to the problems? Sorry I don't quite follow you. Are the big green cubes tool boxes to keep the trains running?

Looking forward to seeing Bombardier replacements here! The NS trains are very ugly.
Photos for which problems are you talking about?? Photos for Platforms are on line. If you are talking about rolling stock, no since I have no access in the first place and mechanical is the major issue.

It been noted in the GO project thread about the problems of all places. Yes the big green box is needed.

As I have noted in the past, you can get only 3 car for Union & Pearson and 4 for Bloor & Weston. Going to 4 or more cars will require rebuilding platforms 100%, as well closing them off while the work is taking place.

Not looking to Bombardier for their rolling stock.

I don't understand your original post then, you listed all these problems and said what a disaster the trains are and then showed a bunch of photos of the platforms.

What problems do the platforms present to the US operator (SMART?) that has 14 sets on order?

I don't understand your original post then, you listed all these problems and said what a disaster the trains are and then showed a bunch of photos of the platforms.

What problems do the platforms present to the US operator (SMART?) that has 14 sets on order?
The photos were to show what exist at Union and what impact it has to expand the current station to 4 or more cars and has nothing to do with UPX issues for SMART.

UPX issues for SMART is Mechanical. You need to read the Project thread to see what been talked about for both system rolling stock. That info should be posted here since this is UPX thread.

It's sometimes quite a puzzle to figure these posts out. There's a lot of information in there, but the non sequiturs and language issues make it challenging. I'm lost as well.

I finally used UPX as a paying passenger (first two rides were freebies) returning from Pearson, using Presto.

One thing I noticed, though, is that instead of charging me $5.02 from the start, it charged me $9 from Pearson, then credited me for $3.98 when I changed at Dundas West. Is that how it always works?

The outdoor connection to the TTC at Bloor is still dismal, but I thought I saw some notices about tunnels - anyone have info?

What do you think of the idea floated by the TTC board that the Finch LRT should also link up to the airport and to the Crosstown West line?

Back