2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 734     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Pearson T1 - Pier F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thx guys, I am glad that I can contribute to the forum.

Cheers! :)

I'll add my thanks as well!

yyzer, with all the talk of Pearson hitting capacity within the next two decades, are their plans to start the new pier G? (Is it called pier G?).

Yes it will be called Pier G. At the moment, there is no definite schedule, however I would expect it to begin within 3-4 years at the latest. I have heard that they are already short of gates at new Terminal 1 at peak times, and are already thinking of re-opening the infield terminal for certain new flights. :)

There was a temporary terminal that was built when Terminal 1 was torn down. (they spent a million dollars on it). It's located in the middle of the airport near the freight terminals. The only way to get there is by bus which travels under the north south runways. I've used it a few times. Not surprised that they would want to use it in light of the fact the last phase of terminal 1 is not going to be ready for a few years.

Thanks for the information, yyzer.

The return of the infield terminal! I say go with Pier G, full tilt!

Not surprised that they would want to use it in light of the fact the last phase of terminal 1 is not going to be ready for a few years.

There are several phases of Terminal 1 still to come.

Pier G could start in 3 years, and would take another couple of years to build and open.

Pier H would next be built to the east of it.

After that it's a case of extending Terminal 1 and replacing Terminal 3 bit by bit with new Piers D, C, B, and A. (There is a current Pier D as part of new Terminal 1, an area that would be rebuilt. A, B, and C are current Terminal 3 piers.)

Once all of that is done, the airport redevelopment plan will be fully built-out.

That is the GTAA's eventual vision, as I understand it, though at a pretty long timescale. For now, T3 isn't going anywhere and indeed is being expanded.

I'll be flying out of YYZ for the first time since 2005 in a few weeks (yes, I've flown since, but the last flights I was on have been out of YTZ and BUF, and before that, it has been Terminal 3), and headed to lovely Baltimore. This means a tiny 34-seater Dash 8 to BWI.

To bring this more on topic, I am curious about the East holdroom. Is this where I'll be stuck? Is it anything more than a holding pen? With Pier F fully opened, is it actually needed? It would be neat I guess to see the remains of T2 from the bus though (how often does that run?).

Wow, I had no idea that AC flew Dash8-100s that far. Hopefully you'll get some nice views on your trip.

The East Holdroom...

You can never say what gate you'll be at until you arrive at the airport, these things change from day to day. If you're departing at a peak time it's certainly probable. It has 8 gates, so that's how big it is. I understand that it has 1 concession stand and that's it. They still have it, so I guess that means that it's needed; recall the comments in this thread about them possibly un-mothballing the infield terminal. I'm sure the bus runs frequently.

I flew out of the satellite terminal from Montreal (for a flight to Hamilton) this summer. Now THAT was a retro experience. Looks pretty 50s, though it's probably safe to assume it's from the 60s and hardly renovated since. Many of the "gates" were single glass doors that opened on to the tarmac. YUL's plans call for the terminal to be demolished in the future.

My fiance made that same trip to BWI just two weeks ago. I would be almost certain that you will be at the east holdroom since transborder Dash 8s and CRJs operate from there. It is a busy area but the holdroom itself is uninspiring. Take your camera for the bus ride past the tearing down of T2. The permanent replacement for the holdroom will not exist for a while because the piers they are building are all gated normally and the holdroom is for bording of small aircraft the stairs built into their doors. I wouldn't be surprised to see the holdroom expanded since a permanent facility is unlikely until Pier H is complete. To handle small aircraft with their shorter turn around times and small size using regular gate spacing and jetbridges is a waste of time and space so realistically the holdroom is not easily replaced by full sized piers. The bus runs continually so you don't need to worry about it much. BWI is a rather dead airport.

You can see the eventual holdroom replacement off the east side of Pier H in renderings of the completed T1.

I curious. Does anyone know what's happening to the site they are clearing at the West side of Airport Road at Derry? I't a huge area and I don't believe that it's going to be used for airport activity. I know there is a second runway being planned there but the area I'm talking about is further north.

That's the former Avro/McDonell Douglas/Boeing plant. It's not actually part of the airport's property. I'm not sure what's planned for the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back