News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 372     0 

Zoning Reform Ideas

What's the difference between a garden suite and a laneway suite? It is just that you'd have to access the garden one from the front yard?
A laneway suite is accessed from a rear lane while a garden suite is located in the rear yard of a property without laneway access and is accessed via the side yard.

This was to be expected, that there have been 152 applications is frankly more than I might have thought.

This was never a panacea solution by any stretch of the imagination, it was simply the relaxing of an unnecessarily rigid rule.

Most people, having spent a vast sum of money to obtain a backyard, and possibly a rear-lane garage will not be interested in sacrificing or sharing either.
yup.

It's helpful, and should help fight off population declines in neighbourhoods a bit, but it was never going to solve the housing crisis.

Every little bit helps, but laneway suites / garden suites were always going to be a niche thing.

Same with legalized multiplexes - I expect that zoning change will result in more units that Laneway/Garden suites.. but it's still not going to deliver anything more than a very small percentage of the 285,000 houses Toronto is supposed to build in the next 8.5 years.

Every little bit helps, but laneway suites / garden suites were always going to be a niche thing.

In our case we actually solved the funding problems they mention in the article by my family paying in advance to fund the construction, in exchange for living there until the main owner is ready to retire and move into the laneway house. It's a new model that as far as I know has never been used elsewhere in the city yet.

In our case we actually solved the funding problems they mention in the article by my family paying in advance to fund the construction, in exchange for living there until the main owner is ready to retire and move into the laneway house. It's a new model that as far as I know has never been used elsewhere in the city yet.
oh it's creative and works for some people - and thus should be celebrated - but when you are facing a 285,000 unit housing crunch, you aren't solving that with granny suites.

John Graves Simcoe, the newly-appointed Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada, created "park lots" as incentives for disbanded British troops or as Loyalists from the former American colonies to settle outside the Town of York.

From link.

These 100-acre “Park Lots” were located just north of the town. They had narrow frontages (660 feet) on Lot Street (today’s Queen Street), to allow all owners access to the town and harbour. The lots were ten times as deep (6,600 feet) as they were wide and extended north to today’s Bloor Street. There were 32 Park Lots running from the Don River, west to about today’s Lansdowne Avenue. From there, west to the Humber River, the land was divided into nine “Township” lots, following the pattern of the Park Lots, but double the width. They were 200 acres each, more or less, as the contours of Lake Ontario and the Humber River would allow. The Park Lots closest to the Town of York were the most desirable, and the status of the persons to whom they were granted reflected this.
Typical-Park-Lot.jpg

Eventually, the new owners sub-divided their park lots into housing for other new comers.

Garden suites are just a continuation of that practice.

Some interesting reading:

The report: https://economics.td.com/ca-balancing-canada-population

Good to see this finally being openly discussed. But makes me wonder why now after the banks were happy to rake in housing bubble profits all these years.

1690432224350.png

Lots of GTA municipalities only having housing starts 30% of target is pretty eye-opening! For how much construction there is in Mississauga, there needs to be 3x that amount to satisfy the province...

Lots of GTA municipalities only having housing starts 30% of target is pretty eye-opening! For how much construction there is in Mississauga, there needs to be 3x that amount to satisfy the province...

I have to say, we need to call a spade a spade here, 'housing starts' is an absurd target for local governments that don't actually build housing.

Housing approvals would be the correct target. Its developers who decide how many 'starts' there are.

The target must align with a person/entity's scope of control.

Toronto Planning tracks units approved.

The CBC article on this subject is here:

Mike Moffatt, who many will know here is quoted thusly:

1690492652567.png

Further down CBC's article, we get this statement:

1690492723473.png

There is no possible way to meet the yearly housing starts target. It's not possible in any near term. Maybe in five to ten years we can start to hit it.
Everyone in the industry that is pushing the government to "build more housing" - developers, builders associations, etc. has a vested interest in the government reducing "red tape". It will reduce their costs, and they have no obligation to reduce sales prices. It's a win for them in all ways.
And all these people know there isn't enough subcontractors, suppliers or workers to supply and build that many houses. There just isn't.
Even right now there are tens of thousands of approved units that they haven't started on. For a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with "red tape" - lack of labour, higher interest rates affecting project financing, etc.

I was just about to say, and I've seen @Northern Light bring it up before too; it sounds like there are quite literally physical limitations to building any faster than we are currently. The problem too, again as has been discussed, is a lot of what's being built is market rate investor boxes that aren't suitable for families.

Short of going with some sort of "authoritarian" or "communist" solution as it would no doubt be called, such as the government mandating all resources be directed towards social/affordable/public housing, what can truly be done to tackle the issue? Perhaps we're at the point where we need a drastic solution, as suggested with the Victory Housing 2.0 idea, but to achieve that it sounds like you'd have to quite literally take the resources from the private sector. Either that or tell every new person immigrating to Canada that you're going into trades lol. There might be an optics issue there though, telling newcomers to build their own housing...

I was just about to say, and I've seen @Northern Light bring it up before too; it sounds like there are quite literally physical limitations to building any faster than we are currently. The problem too, again as has been discussed, is a lot of what's being built is market rate investor boxes that aren't suitable for families.
Maybe the government should take a look at how housing prices are being affected by the thousands of units bought by investors (not foreign buyers) or realtors, who are flipping the units/houses after occupancy, or renting them for extortion prices. These people add nothing to our economy.

Earlier this year, CBC published an article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/housing-investors-canada-bc-1.6743083#:~:text=In Nova Scotia, 31.5% of,1.8% being investor-occupants.
The data shows that condominiums in particular — which constitute a majority of newly-built houses in B.C. and Ontario — are held by investors in high numbers. Over a third of all condos in B.C. are investor-owned, with the number jumping to 41.2 per cent in Ontario.
1690574324038.png
1690574626507.png

A lot of people talk about foreign buyers, but the last studies that I have seen on that estimate that 3-4% of homes in Toronto are owned by foreign buyers. So the problem is much, much bigger than "foreign buyers".
Link: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-foreign-buyers-ban-jan-1-experts-1.6692706#:~:text=In the four provinces and,least one non-resident owner.
1690574687094.png

Oh wait, addressing this would hurt most of the people making the laws and the people that vote for them! Sorry, crazy idea!

Last edited:
Maybe the government should take a look at how housing prices are being affected by the thousands of units bought by investors (not foreign buyers) or realtors, who are flipping the units/houses after occupancy, or renting them for extortion prices. These people add nothing to our economy.

Earlier this year, CBC published an article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/housing-investors-canada-bc-1.6743083#:~:text=In Nova Scotia, 31.5% of,1.8% being investor-occupants.
Investors buying preconstruction allows for properties to be built providing housing. This is especially the case for condominiums. No investors = no construction. Only so many people can buy a home 5 years before they are moving in.

Investors buying preconstruction allows for properties to be built providing housing. This is especially the case for condominiums. No investors = no construction. Only so many people can buy a home 5 years before they are moving in.

We'll have to disagree here.

Certainly, taking action which would curtail, or eliminate the investor-owned market would change the housing market (I would argue for the better), but it would not stop it.

What you would likely see is more family-friendly units coming forward, but also a shift to more purpose-built rental with a different financing model.

We've been here before. There were close to zero investor-owned units in the 60s and 70s; but tons of purpose-built rental went up!

So do you think those investors are helping to make housing affordable? Or what about the thousands of condos that investors hold on to after occupancy, which get rented out. Is that helping too?

People have been buying pre-construction for the last 50+ years. There is nothing magically different now except the cost of housing is enormous (in large part because of investors). In theory it should be easier for a first time buyer, because their deposit structure is stretched over a longer period of time versus lump sum due for a resale.

Yes, let's keep pretending these "investors" are helping make housing affordable. How gracious of them.

Last edited:

Back