News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 468     0 

Zoning Reform Ideas

Seems nonsensical to require a "decision" within such a short period. If bumping up against the deadline, wouldn't the city just deny it and list their concerns, inviting you to resubmit? Then you can either resubmit and get another evaluation in 90 days, or appeal, which takes forever?

I know nothing about the construction and property development industry but blaming the housing issue on wedding cake architecture is so wrong when zoning can be changed to allow for multi family dwellings. Also it's ironic that one of the architects is taking about custom builds being a challenge when most developers keep pumping tiny studios in their generic towers for profit.
That's my rant over!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...itecture-affordable-housing-toronto-1.6409400

I know nothing about the construction and property development industry but blaming the housing issue on wedding cake architecture is so wrong when zoning can be changed to allow for multi family dwellings. Also it's ironic that one of the architects is taking about custom builds being a challenge when most developers keep pumping tiny studios in their generic towers for profit.
That's my rant over!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...itecture-affordable-housing-toronto-1.6409400
PLG720_HousingNowTO_Final Report_Design_Guidelines_Unit_Loss.PNG

If you want to learn more about the negative-impacts of the current Urban Design Guidelines on the creation of new Affordable Housing units by Not-for-Profits in Toronto, you can read the recent report that our volunteers did with students from Ryerson...

(PDFs) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1e0BQgEcRnNMYxS4pS5okR20HX7ZKzy1C

That's my rant over!
PLG720_HousingNowTO_Final Report_Scenarios.PNG

...all of our volunteers research and math about the negative-impacts of the current Urban Design Guidelines on the creation of new Affordable Housing units by Not-for-Profits in Toronto is public and on-line.

Toronto needs to make some choices about what is REALLY important during a Housing-Crisis...

Especially when you look at Paris, which doesn't worry about angular plane and has pleasant enough streetscapes. I think we'd be better of not worrying to much about angular plane, getting slightly higher FSI and putting in more public space/parks.

Especially when you look at Paris, which doesn't worry about angular plane and has pleasant enough streetscapes. I think we'd be better of not worrying to much about angular plane, getting slightly higher FSI and putting in more public space/parks.

That's a rather misleading comparison.

Outside of Le Defense and a few of the suburban banlieus Paris has virtually nothing over 6 storeys.

This is Paris:

1649288061451.png

1649288130543.png

1649288171342.png

In Toronto, the road width on many of these streets would negate any requirement for the angular plane.

When you look at the way in which many of the buildings are organized, they would to a great degree comply with Toronto's separation distance requirements for midrises:

1649288374351.png

That's because they are often organized to face into courtyards.

For a variety of reasons, this built form is simply not being built here, and likely couldn't be from an economic and regulatory perspective.

The overlook issue doesn't really apply when the vast majority of buildings are the same height, all between 5-7 storeys, with a smattering of shorter buildings here and there.

I quite like Paris overall; it could smell a bit better, the Seine makes Toronto's waterways seem pristine, its architecture overall is quite nice, if a tad monotonous and lacking in colour.....

But what makes Paris is Paris simply isn't that transferable to the Toronto context.

Having done some walking around Paris, there definitely are wider streets as you show, but there are also many that look like this. 6 story streetwall with perhaps 10m ROW.

I also agree that Paris is a tad overrated and definitely surprisingly dirty. I thought Nice seemed more livable.

Having done some walking around Paris, there definitely are wider streets as you show, but there are also many that look like this. 6 story streetwall with perhaps 10m ROW.

There are indeed such examples; but here's the question, what happens if redevelopment does occur on such a street, in Paris?

1649336901421.png

This is the same street you selected, not the pronounced new setback, for all intents and purposes, its their angular plane. That's their way of ensuring greater sunlight access, room for greenery and larger facing distances between windows.

I also agree that Paris is a tad overrated and definitely surprisingly dirty. I thought Nice seemed more livable.

I haven't been to Nice; its on my to-do list.

Adam Vaughan with a column in The Star looking at the changes to province is pushing.........he's not a wee bit critical, he's harshly critical.

From the above:

1649427016812.png

One thing he takes dead aim at, that I'd missed is apparently a move to adopt the Federal Building Code in lieu of the current OBC.

1649427079302.png

The rest I will leave people to read by following the link!

The article linked below is most certainly not about zoning, but as we don't have a Property Tax reform thread, and I don't want to start one for a single article, I think it fits best here.

The article is about Edmonton, which despite being where it is in the Canadian political context has been something of a leader on progressive urban issues as of late, notably being first to abolish parking minimums among
big cities in Canada.

In this case, Edmonton, which like Toronto taxes multi-family buildings (at least older ones) at a premium rate vs single-family homes is asking staff to study opening the proverbial can of worms.

First, the link the article: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-edmonton-alberta-property-tax/ (currently behind the paywall at time of posting)

Then, the important bits from the above:

1649505148147.png

Imagine doing that here.....

o_O

Then imagine making the adjustment quickly, and compelling the savings be passed on to tenants

Whether this will pass in Edmonton remains to be seen, but I congratulate them on giving it serious consideration.

Other housing related news in Toronto: a proposal to increase per-unit DCs by ~40% on average.

Gonna do wonders for building more units… And, in stark contrast to Edmonton, does not preference multi-unit developments. Toronto Planning really does not care (or are tasked not to care - same difference).

This is a natural consequence of a low-property-tax city. In essence, subsidizing existing property-owners over new home-owners.

Back