News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 960     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 362     0 

Zoning Reform Ideas

I thought you didn't want public, government money directed to Chinese companies?

The company in question being Chinese; and the plant expansion in question, extracting at least 6M in public funds from the City of Stratford.

I don't....I'm just finding it interesting that a town in SW Ontario would shut somehting like this down and point out it's probably to do with the local demographics.

Want to bet this would fly in Welland?

I don't.....I'm just finding it interesting that a town in SW Ontario would shut somehting like this down and point out it's probably to do with the local demographics.

Want to bet this would fly in Welland?

Well the Town asked for the MZO that set this off; in secret.

The townsfolk are the ones who have the company backing down.

From a CBC article, linked below.........the company ownership appears a bit murky:

1613686637945.png

Well, yeah, obviously the company is owned by genocidal maniac CCP members......pretty well any Chinese company operating overseas is.

No, it seems like a good call and I'm going to go ahead and suggest that the town council is at least in part compromised.....like a Dominic Barton or a Justin "Nah, it's only genocide when it happens here" Trudeau. Just by looking at the facts presented.

I would bet this project woulf fully fly though in a place like Welland.

Came across this video, thought it was interesting. Not sure where to put it. The guy's presentation almost feels a bit over-produced in a cable TV kind of way but addresses some interesting perspectives on transit oriented development and affordability from a more US-centric perspective.

Sometimes people gotta be dragged kicked and screaming into the future. I prefer the energy of Toronto today (pre-pandemic) to what it felt like in the late 90s.

Doesn't mean everything is perfect: I would strongly prefer more midrise infill, a lot of condos are bland and have poor ground levels, planning is a mess, but...people have a way of bringing vitality to a space.

Reading the comments on this recent globe and mail article is telling.

It’s almost universal hate of urban density, zoning reform, etc.
Well, it will attract people who think they benefit from restrictive housing policies, and not the people who will benefit from more livable and affordable housing to comment.

Sometimes people gotta be dragged kicked and screaming into the future. I prefer the energy of Toronto today (pre-pandemic) to what it felt like in the late 90s.

Doesn't mean everything is perfect: I would strongly prefer more midrise infill, a lot of condos are bland and have poor ground levels, planning is a mess, but...people have a way of bringing vitality to a space.
Ironically when people block “gentle density” it results in driving up prices of lots and ultimately “forcing” developers to build ultra dense housing.

Ironically when people block “gentle density” it results in driving up prices of lots and ultimately “forcing” developers to build ultra dense housing.
Exactly. This has been brought up many times, and it's mind-boggling to me that people turn a blind eye to that connection.

Well, it will attract people who think they benefit from restrictive housing policies, and not the people who will benefit from more livable and affordable housing to comment.
The latter group is not doing themselves any favors by staying silent all the time and allowing the vocal minority to dominate pubic discourse.

The small lot midrise and mass timber (to use the terms in that image) are the exact types being opposed by current homeowners. Sadly, due to their unwillingness to budge and terrible city zoning, we continue to get 40+ story towers next to much smaller existing housing.

Interesting story here, looking at a study of the City of Buffalo after it largely removed parking minimums a few years ago.

The study followed project initiated after the rules changed to see how much parking was delivered vs what would have been expected previously.

Back