News   May 14, 2024
 476     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 389     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 444     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Wow, Fall 2017? That's ambitious. Hope they pull it off!

well, technically its really just 1 end of the station so its not that big of a job. Now if they are refurbing the entire length of the terminal and enclosing everything ill be impressed if they pull it off in 5 months

well, technically its really just 1 end of the station so its not that big of a job. Now if they are refurbing the entire length of the terminal and enclosing everything ill be impressed if they pull it off in 5 months
"Enclosing the whole terminal"... that's funny. Although I would love for the that to happen, it's probably not going to happen until at least the YNSE.

Is it more likely for the whole terminal to be enclosed, including the bus bays, or an underground bus terminal?

Also, I wonder if the Customer Service Centre will have full heating, like the washrooms, or will it just have heat lamps.

"Enclosing the whole terminal"... that's funny. Although I would love for the that to happen, it's probably not going to happen until at least the YNSE.

Is it more likely for the whole terminal to be enclosed, including the bus bays, or an underground bus terminal?

If it's what you're asking, the plan for the subway station is underground bus terminal. They would ramp down directly from Yonge (at least in the preliminary plans).

If it's what you're asking, the plan for the subway station is underground bus terminal. They would ramp down directly from Yonge (at least in the preliminary plans).
I've seen this, but the plans actually have a double layers bus terminal, it's an expansion of the current one with an underground section. It's still doesn't help with the "exposure" the above ground terminal currently has.

If the terminal is put underground with a tunnel to and from Yonge, that's going to be a long tunnel. Would the bus terminal be "moved"?

If the terminal is put underground with a tunnel to and from Yonge, that's going to be a long tunnel. Would the bus terminal be "moved"?

It's not that long, but I'd guess that they'll move it so they can minimize the distance between the subway platforms and the Viva platforms. If they're willing to put two elevators in the middle of Highway 7 for VMC, I'm sure they'll do something similar at Yonge.

It's not that long, but I'd guess that they'll move it so they can minimize the distance between the subway platforms and the Viva platforms. If they're willing to put two elevators in the middle of Highway 7 for VMC, I'm sure they'll do something similar at Yonge.
Then there's the distance from Langstaff GO Station to take into consideration. This is a puzzle.

If you look at the documents in this post, it shows the possibility that Viva Blue will have a ROW along the rail corridor to reach RHC.

I believe this plan is better than a tunnel on Yonge or moving the terminal.

It's all stuff that will get nailed down in design. Certainly the goal is to bring stuff as close together as they can but the subway box is the least moveable component. (by contrast, GO can be slid north but not surprisingly Markham doesn't want it to.)

Then there's the distance from Langstaff GO Station to take into consideration. This is a puzzle.

If you look at the documents in this post, it shows the possibility that Viva Blue will have a ROW along the rail corridor to reach RHC.

I believe this plan is better than a tunnel on Yonge or moving the terminal.

On a slightly ot note, has anyone wondered why they made it so inconvenient to cross the bridge to and from langstaff station. I don't understand why they have to funnel everyone down a 200 m fenced path. People who want to go shopping at home depot or wants to get dropped off/picked up away from the packed station have no option but to wade through the station lot.

On a slightly ot note, has anyone wondered why they made it so inconvenient to cross the bridge to and from langstaff station. I don't understand why they have to funnel everyone down a 200 m fenced path. People who want to go shopping at home depot or wants to get dropped off/picked up away from the packed station have no option but to wade through the station lot.

I think it's both a land use issue and a land ownership issue. You probably noticed the chained/locked door right next to the bridge on the Home Depot side, and I would assume that is only used in emergencies. If that door was opened to the public, people flow would be improved, allowing for more choice.

Yes it's a liability issue with Home Depot/Metrus. Too many people crossing through the parking lot to make short cuts. It looks to me the bus terminal needs another crossing (or a stairway to the High Tech overpass)to connect the neighbourhood area. The current bridge ONLY connects to a car-dependant GO station. It takes 10-15min by walk from the bus station to reach the intersection of High Tech/Red Maple(where the residential area is close-by), which is quite stupid given it's just eye-sight away.

Yes it's a liability issue with Home Depot/Metrus. Too many people crossing through the parking lot to make short cuts. It looks to me the bus terminal needs another crossing (or a stairway to the High Tech overpass)to connect the neighbourhood area. The current bridge ONLY connects to a car-dependant GO station. It takes 10-15min by walk from the bus station to reach the intersection of High Tech/Red Maple(where the residential area is close-by), which is quite stupid given it's just eye-sight away.

Any one of these 3 paths or a combination of them would work:
RHC Path.png

I would guess Red and Yellow would be the better ones as there are plans for there to be a Bus ROW parallel to the train tracks for Viva Blue to reach the terminal. All 3 would be great, but most likely only one or none will happen.

Attachments

• RHC Path.png
    RHC Path.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 435
They've spent weeks on the foundations and steel beams going up.
IMG_1889.JPG
IMG_1890.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1889.JPG
    IMG_1889.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 351
  • IMG_1890.JPG
    IMG_1890.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 391
  • IMG_1891.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 381
They've spent weeks on the foundations and steel beams going up.

The steel structure should come up pretty quickly. I expect this to be done within a couple months and then the rest of the sunmer and fall for interior and mechanical systems

An update to the RHC upgrade from this morning :
-The roof structure appears to be complete
-ductwork installation has begun
-No wall structures yet but i suspect there won't be until the duct and pipework is finished

Back