News   Jun 07, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.5K     6 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.1K     3 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Here's some more photos:
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG
IMG_1596.JPG

What I don't like is how limited the wooden barrier is. It provides no protection for GO Transit riders as the dirt blows over due to wind (into my eyes).

Attachments

• IMG_1593.JPG
    IMG_1593.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 398
  • IMG_1594.JPG
    IMG_1594.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 423
  • IMG_1595.JPG
    IMG_1595.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 418
  • IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 383
I was in Zurich, Switzerland last month for a vacation. My friend kept raving on and on about the awesome Next Stop screens and how we should get these.

Imagine my surprise when I come home to see the exact same technology and even the layout in use on York Region Transit of all places. lol

image07.jpg

C8-9lf5XUAE-2uJ.jpg:large

In Zurich, the screen flips back and forth between the list of Next Stops, and then the times and connections available at the next stop (along with whether the service is "o.k." or "delayed".
Now if only YRT activated the option to display the times of connections and service status at the next stop. :(

image01.jpg

Something like the above could drive ridership numbers up for the system (especially for captive riders who solely use Viva and rarely ever transfer to YRT). Many times I'm on the Viva and choose to walk because I have no idea how long or even when the connecting YRT will arrive. I don't have data, most people don't use the YRT app and their next bus phone system is extremely cumbersome and it requires you to either know a bus stop number beforehand OR sit through a robot listing bus stops for a long ass time before she reads your stop.

Last edited:
Many times I'm on the Viva and choose to walk because I have no idea how long or even when the connecting YRT will arrive. I don't have data, most people don't use the YRT app and their next bus phone system is extremely cumbersome and it requires you to either know a bus stop number beforehand OR sit through a robot listing bus stops for a long ass time before she reads your stop.

Cool, I've never seen those screens!

As for the arrival times, are you aware that Google Maps and Apple Maps both have the YRT nextbus times built right in? You can either move the map to a stop and tap it and get a list of live departure times, or the transit directions will incorporate it automatically. There's also the Transit app (literally just called "Transit") that incorporates NextBus for YRT/Viva, TTC, GO Buses, etc. all in one app, it's very user friendly. You definitely aren't required to use the YRT app--I use both Google Maps and Transit for my local YRT service and they're both great (Transit has the added benefit of showing you where the bus is currently located on a map, vs just having a time estimate).

Edit: just saw that you said you don't have data--I was confused since you mentioned the YRT app. I would imagine that most riders who care about the arrival times will probably use the apps and have data plans. For the few who don't, yes, they're relegated to texting stop numbers or dialing. It's one of the many conveniences that having a data plan affords you. This was discussed to death repeatedly in TTC threads when they started replacing stop schedules with advertisements to use an app instead. I guess they could modify the screens, but when most people have data plans I don't think it's crucial.

I can't recall if the Zürich time to next station as shown about shows the times for the various routes connecting to the line like a number of other system did. Too long to recall if the next time for routs show up on the signs or not. The Zürich time to stations also show at the bottom how long it will be to get to the end of the line.

Had a short look at the Davis ROW and done on the cheap side which is ok, but never did the full east trip. The ROW starts and stops on the west side of Yonge St and the shelters are the same as the first one that were built years ago.

They having been installing new hydro poles and lines further back from the existing ones for a short distance south of Davis Dr, but no work on the ROW yet.

Was planning on looking at Yonge St north of RHC, but ended up starting way north and that section is not seeing any work at all at this time.

The Blue running every 20 minutes were mostly late as much as 5 minutes or more to the point they did a stop on go at the Newmarket Terminal. I found it strange Blue was 20 while Yellow was 15 that had 5 minutes layover at the terminal. One other route (95?) did a stop and go

I contacted YRT and received a response that these screens are a pilot test and they do have the capability of and will eventually include information about connecting buses.

Awesome!

Whic
I contacted YRT and received a response that these screens are a pilot test and they do have the capability of and will eventually include information about connecting buses.

Awesome!
Which bus is it mounted on currently?

There is already a parking problem when you go on weekend nights. I agree that the cineplex should be relocated, but Hillcrest Mall doesn't feel like it has the space for it. If it were to move, it would probably rebuild the old Zellers/Target building with a large extension that almost reaches Panera Bread (or demolish that too) and build an underground parking, which is an expensive undertaking.

For the time being, SilverCity is staying where it is until something pushes it away or attracts it somewhere. Like how the Cineplex at First Markham Place moved to Downtown Markham.

Something that could push Cineplex away (forced) would be the redevelopment of all the big box stores in the High Tech/Yonge/Highway 7/Bayview area.

The parking was a problem at the Queensway. And they decided to add restaurants and now condos in the parking lot. Don't expect Cineplex to be concerned about the issue. They want you to pay for Valet at the VIP section.

I expect over time they will make these paid parking lots...which may slowly transition people to transit.

Watch the TTC get this in the year 2040.

And only in subway stations.

And only when you are already on the platform vs at the concourse.

I would have loved if they converted some of the Gateway stores to an espresso bar. If I knew that I have 3-4 minutes for the bus or subway I could order a drink and a muffin. The larger stations in the 'burbs even have room for a little patio both outside and inside.

Instead they give Gateway the opportunity to sell chocolate bars, chips and lottery tickets. Great way to encourage healthy living!

Found these renderings online:

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 5.15.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 5.16.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 5.16.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 5.16.50 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 5.15.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 5.15.59 PM.png
    942.9 KB · Views: 545
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 5.16.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 5.16.50 PM.png
    767.4 KB · Views: 542