1.4K     1 

YRT fare increase - worse than TTC

Chuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
YRT poised to be most expensive GTA system

Ticket fares to rise 25 cents if council gives nod Thursday
By: Sean Pearce

You may find yourself digging a little deeper into your pockets for exact change if a proposed York Region Transit fare increase gets approved by regional council this week.

If the proposed fare hike gets council’s nod Thursday, that ticket to ride YRT and Viva will jump from $2.75 to $3, making it the most expensive single-ride adult cash fare in the GTA.

That’s 25 cents more than what the TTC charges, 50 cents more than Mississauga Transit’s fare and 75 cents more than Hamilton’s transit system. The cost of a zone upgrade ticket will remain firm at $1.

According to YRT finance manager Paul Tobin, the proposed fare increase is nothing new, adding council looks at the possibility of increasing fares every year to combat the rising costs of delivering service.

“This is an annual exercise,†he said. “We review what our rates are and compare them to other service providers in the GTA, such as the TTC.â€

The fact is, Mr. Tobin said, the price of doing business as a transit service provider continues to rise. Insurance costs are up, contractor rates have risen and the price of diesel fuel has continued to surge.

And, with the price of oil hovering around $80 per barrel, Mr. Tobin said he doubts the price of fuel is going to do anything other than increase.

Still, the proposed fare increase is more than just a measure to counteract increasing costs, Mr. Tobin said.

For the most part, it is to ensure YRT and Viva users shoulder their fair share of the cost of the service.

The goal, Mr. Tobin said, is to have 50 per cent of YRT and Viva’s costs recovered by users of the service and 50 per cent subsidized by the property tax base.

YRT achieved that target in 2004 but, in recent years, with rising costs and more capital projects, it has become more of a 60-40 split with the property taxpayers shelling out more than riders.

The proposed increase, Mr. Tobin stressed, is not a reaction to any sort of budget crisis.

“This is not something like what the TTC did when they came out with some proposed fare increases to deal with a specific issue,†he said.

“If you look back, you’ll see that a fare increase is proposed every year (for YRT).â€

Regardless, YRT is, perhaps, a victim of its own success.

Part of the reason the cost recovery from ridership has dipped is due to the fact more riders are making use of bulk discounted fares, such as the 10-ride tickets and monthly passes, Mr. Tobin said.

This has been the case ever since the federal government began offering tax write-offs for monthly pass users. The result has been increased ridership, but less fare revenue.

The adult monthly pass is also scheduled for an increase; rising $10 from $85 to $95. That still puts it well below the price of the TTC Metropass, Mr. Tobin said, which is rising to $109.

The fact is, he said, that even if the fare increases go through, people will still be getting a good deal for the level of service offered by YRT and Viva.

Even so, Mr. Tobin acknowledged the fare increase, if it goes through, will still have potential consequences on the overall ridership.

“There is a fare elasticity calculation that’s done,†he said. “It says there is a 3 per cent drop in ridership for every 10-per-cent increase in fares.â€

Newmarket Mayor and YRT committee member Tony Van Bynen echoed many of Mr. Tobin’s statements.

The fact is, the cost of delivering service to YRT’s ridership of nearly 20 million has increased, he said.

“I never like to see a fare increase and it’s hard to recommend a 7.72-per-cent increase,†he said.

“We need to understand that the price of delivering the service has increased ... Our prices are very comparable to those of the TTC and Mississauga Transit.â€

Still, Mr. Van Bynen said, it may appear the increases will push the YRT’s prices above many of the other transit systems, but that’s largely because of the budget cycle. Many of the other municipalities haven’t looked at their 2008 fare structures yet and they, too, will likely recommend a fare increase.

That’s little comfort to users of YRT and Viva.

Riders at the Newmarket terminal were less than enthusiastic about the prospect of higher fares. Lydia Williams and Matthew Malice were already displeased their trip to Main Street in Newmarket was going to cost a combined $5.50. The thought of a fare increase is a tough pill to swallow.

“They increase (the fare) every year and it pisses me off,†Ms Williams said. “It’s already too high ... if anything, it should go down.â€

Mr. Malice said he depends on the service because of an injury, otherwise, he said he’d rather walk than pay more money to ride YRT.

“It doesn’t make sense,†he said. “If you increase the fare, you decrease the number of people using (transit).â€

Sean Haffey said he doesn’t use the service all that often, but he’s still not thrilled at the idea of paying another quarter for the bus.

“I don’t do the monthly pass thing,†Mr. Haffey said. “(The idea of) that extra 25 cents isn’t something I’m happy about.â€

The bottom line is that with increasing costs, somebody has to pick up the tab, Mr. Van Bynen said. If the ridership doesn’t pay more, taxpayers will.

“I think the reality of this is what the riders don’t pay, the taxpayers do,†he said. “Often, it’s the same person.â€

Bottom line: if you live in York Region and commute to Toronto each day, your monthly metropass now costs $204. It's getting a bit ridiculous if you ask me! By comparison, a monthly GO pass from Langstaff station is $154.

dammit.

a little increase here + a little increase there = i have to pay a lot more each month. i'm going to be paying $182.75 for my passes. that might even go up if the ttc increase their price on the university metropasses as well.

at least run a 24 hour bus on yonge then. or have a discount program like the ttc for monthly users who buy a pass every month.

“This is an annual exercise,†he said. “We review what our rates are and compare them to other service providers in the GTA, such as the TTC.â€

How can they compare to the TTC? It's nowhere near the same type of service. They should only compare to other 905 transit systems and go from there.

How can they compare to the TTC? It's nowhere near the same type of service. They should only compare to other 905 transit systems and go from there.

MT has for the last 7 years and I expect to see it in 2008 a $.10 fare hike.

I expect to see cash fare go up to $2.75 from $2.50.

Regardless what taking place now, 2010 will see a major overhaul of all transit fare structure when all the systems in the GTAH are under one fare structure using the Presto card.

It may start to show up in 2008 when Oakville and Burlington Presto system is roll out on all their buses.

MT is the most expensive system after TTC and only has only about 20% of TTC service. MT carries less than 10% of TTC ridership.

GO is out of the picture for comparison.

TTC should has raise their cash fare to $3 and it would be in line with OC.

MT has for the last 7 years and I expect to see it in 2008 a $.10 fare hike.

I expect to see cash fare go up to $2.75 from $2.50.

Regardless what taking place now, 2010 will see a major overhaul of all transit fare structure when all the systems in the GTAH are under one fare structure using the Presto card.

It may start to show up in 2008 when Oakville and Burlington Presto system is roll out on all their buses.

MT is the most expensive system after TTC and only has only about 20% of TTC service.

Um... YRT is the most expensive... both cash fares and adult tickets are more expensive than MT.

MT has the distinction of being the only system that allows post-secondary students to use student fares.

TTC may have high cash fare like YRT, but the price of tickets and passes is much lower.

I think YRT/Viva can find ways to slash expenses.

I don't think they can. High operating costs are the price you pay for running a transit system in a region where, in most places, transit has no place. Until York Region sees more intense growth in existing built up areas (and it's already starting which is super), operating costs will continue to be prohibitively high.

Having said that, I don't think it's fair to penalize those who actually use the service. YRT's cost recovery, in it's natural state, should be about 30%. It's wrong to force it to 50% by raising fares to unheard of prices. That also goes for the TTC, which is forcing a cost recovery of about 75% when it should really be 60%. The burden of financing the transit system must be shifted away from individual riders, and toward the general property tax base.

Viva is really little more than a marketing name. Viva is YRT (except that Viva was largely a P3 model), but York Region muddies it all up by calling things differently, that early "One System" logo to empthasize that the fares were the same.

Note that YRT buses (including Viva) are not operated by YRT but are all contracted. Miller (mostly associated with waste management and roadworks) operates most of Markham's routes. Can-Ar operates most of Vaughan's. Stagecoach (a big operator of private public transit in Britain) operates other routes - the Viva routes, if I recall correctly. Laidlaw (school buses, Greyhound) operates some as well in the north.

Just about everywhere else in Ontario, the transit workers are municipal employees (except very small operations, like Cobourg or Port Hope). I think the York Region set up is due to the fact that Vaughan operated very few of its own buses (most being TTC-contracted, even Route 77 was half operated by Brampton, which operated all the Sunday service), as did Markham (who only had the Highway 7, 14th Avenue, Kennedy and Unionville/Markham local routes).

Back