News   May 16, 2024
 27     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 169     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 469     0 

Your TTC/transit horror stories...

A not so "horrifying" story about drivers and cellphones...

I was on a bus stuck in a non-moving traffic jam once for about an hour. The driver called transit control and told them that since he could not use his cellphone while driving, transit control should call his wife to tell her that he would be home late. Then he got transit control to make an announcement over the bus PA that everything is okay and telling the passengers to calm down.
Hmm I'm not sure if that would be as distracting as just calling her himself... At least he has his priorities set straight though :)

An old Asian lady asked some cranky old ticket collector directions of how to get to Finch at Dundas station.

The driver is clearly a senior guy, lots of experience, gets paid very well.

I swear to God, he said while waving his hands in the air...

"I don't get paid enough to give directions"

Really that old fat overpaid, lard!! At how much that guy is getting paid, he should have help that lady get on the right train...

Gee, I wonder how difficult would it have been for him to utter: "stay on board the northbound train til the end of the line/final stop." ? :confused:

The TTC only hope is having such people retire. A lot of the younger employees are way way better at service. However who knows after 20-30 years they will become like that guy???

The only time I was infuriated enough to send a complaint was one morning a couple of years ago after a particularly bad snow storm. It was probably close to -30 degrees outside and we were understandably more than 30 minutes late given the driving conditions.

In the home stretch of our gruelling commute from SQ1 to the subway, the driver suddenly pulled the bus over at McDonald's to wait in line and order a coffee. The rest of us on board were left to freeze with the doors open for at least 10 minutes, which was especially brutal for the elderly people sitting right at the front.

When the driver finally returned, he was extremely rude to the passenger who politely went up to get his number, he further delayed us by refusing to continue the route for a while and he then proceeded to drive extra slowly towards the subway.

Everyone on the bus must've complained since, despite being a regular on my route for a long time, I never saw that driver again.

1. Once a woman working at one of the booths at Bloor station was really cranky when I tried to buy tokens.

2. A middle aged semi-white trash looking male once verbally attacked an Asian teen on the Yonge line, going north from Bloor (nothing truly mean-mean, but he went on and on about how "you people are hard workers" etc, etc... and that his "boss is of the same/similar culture..."). The semi-white trash guy got off on Lawrence (I think)

3. Not in Toronto: Cranky booth guy in Paris called me a stupid tourist (what's with people working in booths??)

And the TTC booth people say 'thank you' only about 1/2 the time after you pay for tokens or a pass; what's up with that? I guess they don't ever get 'secret shopped'.

The Mississauga transit people are much nicer.

All this is anecdotal observation of course.

I'm glad I don't have to suffer the TTC, I'm only sorry that part of my tax dollars have to support it!!!

I'm glad I don't have to suffer the TTC ...
I'd say that most of the comments here seemed very mild - and were dwarfed by the road rage I saw when I was driving to work regularily!

I'm only sorry that part of my tax dollars have to support it!!!
So how do you get around the city then? Do you suggest we eliminate transit and triple the road volumes? Which would essentially gridlock the entire city.

I'm glad I don't have to suffer the TTC, I'm only sorry that part of my tax dollars have to support it!!!

I'm glad I don't have to suffer the highways, I'm only sorry that part of my tax dollars have to support them!!!

(Seriously, you don't think a thread titled "Your highway/driving horror stories" would be just as long?)

On the 196 York University from Downsview...

Just after pulling out of the station, my bus pulled up beside another bus at Sheppard and Allen. My bus driver opens the front door and starts talking to the bus driver next to us...

"hey man, I almost hit you yesterday, hahaha, around sentinal"
"you almost hit me?"
"yeah, some kid was getting on your bus, but I didn't see him and thought you were going to pull away... had to slam my brakes pretty hard! hahaha!"

And then the light turned green. I just looked around to see if anyone else was listening and some guy across made a face that said to me "wow, these guys should not be driving buses"

And then the light turned green. I just looked around to see if anyone else was listening and some guy across made a face that said to me "wow, these guys should not be driving buses"
Why not? Drivers (car and bus alike) make mistakes all the time - we're all human. Heck, the guy is even admitting his mistake calmly! Surely that's a GOOD sign!

Do YOU drive?

Transit horror story from Boston...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090509/ap_on_re_us/us_trolley_crash

Trolleys collide in Boston; 49 people hurt
AP

33 mins ago

BOSTON – A trolley rear-ended another trolley that was stopped between two underground stations in downtown Boston on Friday night, injuring about 50 people, and one of the conductors told police he was texting at the time of the crash, officials said.

About 100 people were evacuated, and 49 were taken to area hospitals, but officials said their injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.

The 24-year-old operator of the moving trolley, who was the most seriously injured, admitted to police that he was sending text messages from his cell phone when the accident occurred, Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority general manager Dan Grabauskas said.

The MBTA has stepped up enforcement of the rule against cell phone use by operators following a trolley crash in Newton last May that killed the driver of a trolley that collided with another. Although there were reports the driver was using a cell phone just before the crash, an investigation ultimately determined there was no evidence she was using her phone.

Grabauskas said the operator of the trolley that struck the parked trolley admitted to investigators who interviewed him in a hospital he saw the red light ahead of him as he was texting, but it was too late to stop.

"I can tell you it's difficult to contain my outrage at hearing this," Grabauskas said.

Officials would not release the conductor's name, but MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said he had been on the job for less than two years.

Most of the victims suffered cuts or skeletal injuries, said John Gill, deputy superintendent of Boston EMS. Two people had chest pains.

Some passengers had to be extracted from the trains, deputy fire chief Richard DiBenedetto said. Others were taken from the station on stretchers or backboards.

The collision occurred at 7:18 p.m. between Park and Government Center stations. A westbound two-car trolley was stopped at a red signal, waiting to enter Park Station, when it was hit by another two-car trolley.

The damage was limited to the front of the moving train and the rear of the train that was struck, Grabauskas said.

An investigation will try to determine why the moving trolley did not stop. Grabauskas had no estimates on how fast it was traveling.

Green Line service between the stations was shut down after the crash.

^ I missed the collision by 20 min.
Apparently one of the trains is totalled, so the text message just cost a million dollars.

Update: Investigations showed that the texting driver ran a red light in the tunnel and rammed into the stopped train at full speed (40 kph). The crash totalled not one, but three cars (both trains were running as 2-car trains), costing almost $10M. An expensive text message, that was.
The driver will be fired and criminal charges might be made.

Back